Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images

Post Adjustable Under Quilt Suspension

Ever wake up in the middle of the night and realize you're cold because your under quilt is sagging? Do you go out into the cold and adjust the UQ suspension or just ride it out? What if you could adjust it right from the hammock?

Here's a simple mod for those using the classic Jacks-r-Better type suspension, with bungees at each end of the hammock. To adjust that type of suspension you have to unclip it from the UQ first.

What I did was attach a line lock, using a small sewn loop of grosgrain ribbon, to one of the existing UQ corner tabs.

The other corner I left as is.

Removed the crimp and mini biner from one end of the standard JRB suspension bungees and fed the plain end of the bungee thru the line lock. Another option is just to make your own by attaching mini biner to a length of 1/8" bungee.

An unintended benefit is that this shaves 4g from each end of the suspension.

Now you can stay warm in your hammock as you use the line lock to adjust the UQ suspension. Be sure to attach the line lock to the corner of the UQ that is accessible from the hammock if you have attached bug netting.

Also using line locks, mini biner and bungee you can easily make an adjustable link to connect the side of your UQ to your structural ridgeline.
    Last edited by Knotty; 02-07-2012 at 13:30.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    you're like a good idea stealth ninja
    http://smartoutdoors.webs.com/ elephant trunks, tarp keys and crosses

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    LOL well said Bloomgorge!!!
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    CBS is a great motivator for creative thinking!
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Thanks guys.

I hate being cold and I hate just accepting things the way they are.
    Knotty
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    true that ron
    http://smartoutdoors.webs.com/ elephant trunks, tarp keys and crosses

There is an idea I have been trying, I took two Dutch quilt hooks and prussic them to my hammock ridgeline (well prussic the cord they are on) and take a piece of shockcord attached to one corner of the quilt (head end) and hook it to the quilt hook then take the same cord and hook to the other corner (head end)! Did the same for the foot end! What this did was bring the attachment point closer to my body but still allowed for adjustment by sliding the prussic's out towards the gathered hammock ends!
    Don't have pic's yet, and haven't fully tested this out (only hung hammock in house to test)! But once I do I will post up some pic's and how it went!

Now this won't work with a hammock that has a bug net permanently attached! But will work great with a gathered end net less hammock!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    CB - So the Dutch Quilt Hooks are giving you a quick way of hooking onto the prussic that's wrapped around the hammocks structural ridgeline? Sounds like a good way to use that approach.

Personally, I don't like bringing my UQ suspension up to the SRL with Triangle Thingies or prussic loops. These methods work well in terms of getting the UQ pulled up tight. That's how Oh-no and BearChaser set me up at our Dolly Sods trip but I find the way the UQ suspension comes in and up at a steeper angle to be uncomfortable against my head. Still, a great solution for those who are comfortable with it.
    Knotty
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    DIY Bugnet

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    The galleries are shut down but your tips are always helpful. I am still getting my DIY underquilt dialed in for sag and such. I have 6 attachment points sewn onto the outside edge of the hammock and 6 pieces of shock cord to the UQ with a small channel on each end that has mason line sewn to one channel end and a micro cord lock on the other. I am hoping it will allow an adjustment from the hammock. That said, I am saving this post because... well Ron knows his stuff. Thanks Knotty, you are awesome!
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    CB - So the Dutch Quilt Hooks are giving you a quick way of hooking onto the prussic that's wrapped around the hammocks structural ridgeline? Sounds like a good way to use that approach.
    Essentially yes! I have never really been a fan of how the UQ attached to the hammock and I always felt that by stretching the shock cord to the ends of the hammock wasn't really bringing the UQ up enough as the angle of attachment wasn't allowing it to happen as the attachment was/is away from the user and by stretching the shock cord tight all one was doing was pulling it away from you instead of up to you!

By putting the attachment (I just used the dutch quilt hooks) on the ridgeline I am able to change the angle that the quilt is moved when the shockcord is tightened! I assume the triangle thingies accomplish the same thing although I have never used or messed with one, so???

FWIW you could slide the prussic all the way to the end (or close to it) by your head on the ridgeline and that would get the shockcord away from your face!?!? (all in theory, with no concrete testing done as of yet)!

My only reason for trying this is I had a lengthy conversation with Stormcrow and he has been doing a LOT of testing to try and overcome the CBS due too inadequate suspension and quilt sag, now this doesn't happen all the time to me (just occasionally) but it's those occasions that get you thinking. He (Stormcrow) has been testing new suspensions and I had the hooks so I figured I would give it a go as it was super easy to do!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast