Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Battle of the UnderQuilts: First draft

Warning: this is another 'witch UQ should I choose' topic.

I have a few months to choose my first UQ and I would like to hear everyone's suggestions. I browsed trough entire UQ sub-forum and learned a lot but it's not easy to decide between all the great fabricators.

I'll be camping in mild and very hot weather, for now, with night temperatures as high as 30C and low as 5C. My current setup is: WBBB, Exped Wallcreeper and a thin Exped MultiMat. I'm pretty sure this will work in the heat of the summer but I was getting 'cold butt syndrome' at around 10-15C. I must admit that I've never slept in adverse (outdoor) conditions but I think I qualify as a hot (or at worst, neutral) sleeper.
    Most of my trips are by motorcycle so weight is not an issue, but bulk is. I have limited space for an UQ therefor I'm not considering synthetics. Price is important and I'm looking to spend as little as possible for a quality gear.

I'm also on the fence about full length or 2/3 UQs. I'm 190cm/6'2'' tall and I would like full body coverage but facts like warm weather, warm sleeper, low bulk and low cost are pushing me toward 2/3 cut.

Here is how I see it at the moment:
    Please forgive my childish handwriting.

I almost feel guilty for choosing one cottage-industry fabricator over an other because they are all great people and make quality products. Crossed out are the Quilts that are too expensive or to warm for me. Highlighted are my considerations. I'm open to any suggestion and critique. If vendors want to chime in, I'd like to hear what they think.

Cheers.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Balkan boy View Post
    [SIZE="1"]
    I'm also on the fence about full length or 2/3 UQs. I'm 190cm/6'2'' tall and I would like full body coverage but facts like warm weather, warm sleeper, low bulk and low cost are pushing me toward 2/3 cut.
    Cheers.
    In reguards to the full length or 2/3's UQ.... I'm an extreamly cold sleeper (especially after back surgery and having a ton of metal put in me) and my UQ only goes from my feet to my shoulders. I will have something else for insulation for my head, like a pillow or my jacket. This works for me and I don't have to carry a longer quilt for the head area. Hope that helps with you deciding how long a quilt you need. By having my jacket under my head, my full body is covered.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I think you've boiled it down to some great choices to fit your needs. There's a lot of value for the money there. Any one of them will work nicely.

That JRB Greylock's introductory price at only $15 more than lowest 40ºF quilt price you have highlighted is a great deal for a 20ºF quilt.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    I think you've boiled it down to some great choices to fit your needs. There's a lot of value for the money there. Any one of them will work nicely.

That JRB Greylock's introductory price at only $15 more than lowest 40ºF quilt price you have highlighted is a great deal for a 20ºF quilt.
    I agree with everything angrysparrow chirped.

As a dedicated partial length UQ user, or course my recomendation will be for the 3/4. The fact that you specifically listed "bulk" as a concern, just makes me think it will be the better choice. It really is just a personal preference IMO. I've been as low temp wise as folks using full length, although when it really gets cold, there is some creativity that comes into play with staying warm.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    With regards to the Underground Quilts, IIRC you can just e-mail Paul if you want a shorter length. It will be cheaper since it will be shorter as well.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    No complaints here about my Underground Quilt. If you want to go full length its a great value. Its width makes it forgiving to user error, IMO. All good quilts can't really go wrong.

As far as full length vs 3/4, its a personal choice.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I have and really really like my 40 degree Underground UQ...excellent made,,very nice,,use it in the house at 70 degrees vented and it works perfectly,,can't wait to get it outdoors in the summer to use..vents fantastically. And the wife likes her 50 degree Jarbridge from Arrowhead too,,it works great for her as she is a hot sleeper. So take your pics,,down or synthetic, Both work great. One is full length quilt,,other is 3/4,,but fits her to a tee,,as she is only 5'2". I also had Paul of Underground Quilts also make me a 50 degree Top Quilt with 5 oz of 850 down that is on its way to me right now. Can't wait to get it as I know it will rock and do what I want as for coverage. Will report on it with pics when i get it and get time too.
    Last edited by Acer; 02-07-2012 at 20:17.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 0* UQ, 20* TQ
    Suspension
    WS + Whoopie Hooks
    I'm interested to find out what you choose as I'm making the same decision. I'm leaning toward HG, but I don't think there is a bad choice.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quilts aside, who is the greatest fabricator?
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Quilts aside, who is the greatest fabricator?
    Watch out....OG is chumming.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast