Possible new UQ material

I came upon this posting for an emergency survival jacket that's made with space blanket-like material that might make a nice under-quilt for someone who's adventurous to try.

http://www.gizmag.com/blizzard-refle...lankets/21274/

I think it would certainly suffice for 3 seasons as-is in a blanket form. Packs up pretty good, is certainly light and worth a look, don't you think?
    I can't buy something without first considering whether I could just make it myself instead. How'd I get so screwed up?

Hammock
    HH Explorer asym
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    It certainly looks promising, I do wonder how crinkly it would be if and when you move around and also how much repacking it would take to tear or destroy it. I guess only time will tell.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    if you do a search this had been tried many of times over the last 5+ years
    there are a few problems you run into with this idea of using a space blanket as a UQ
    Condensation is one .... Durability is another but there is information out there just need to search for it
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

This stuff seems a bit more resilient than regular mylar space blankets and they say it's for multiple uses (in some youtube videos I saw). http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=H7TbYRNlCEc

One thing that I don't like is that it's rather bulky once you've used it unless you get most ofl the air out from the baffles. They mention that the full weight is around 1 pound. I imagine you'd only want half the width of the blanket style as an UQ. You should be able to slice down it along a baffle line and not ruin either piece.

As for condensation, I noticed the posting with a number of people purchasing a medical variety of a space-type blanket with one side of fabric-like material (skin contact side). Certainly, as a medical wrap, you're not expected to be in it for hours at a time. I'd like to hear what those people experience with that material. Also, for people who've used space blankets under their hammocks, I'd like to hear their experiences.
    Last edited by ICanMakeThat; 02-12-2012 at 06:02.
    I can't buy something without first considering whether I could just make it myself instead. How'd I get so screwed up?

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    As GLP says, search on space blankets, or just peruse threads. There may be hundreds of reports.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanMakeThat View Post
    As for condensation, I noticed the posting with a number of people purchasing a medical variety of a space-type blanket with one side of fabric-like material (skin contact side). Certainly, as a medical wrap, you're not expected to be in it for hours at a time. I'd like to hear what those people experience with that material. Also, for people who've used space blankets under their hammocks, I'd like to hear their experiences.

Actually, a patient undergoing a long extensive surgery may be in the OR for several hours. At 50*F without being active a person can become hypothermic very easily. These garments are designed to be worn through-out the operative process. While the manufacture claims that is it impermeable by nature. The report that patients don't complain about sweat or condensation would suggest atleast some degree of vapor permeability.

We, will have to wait and see, but I am very optomistic that Thermoflect will change the game for staying warm in the backcountry.
    Last edited by AaronAlso; 02-12-2012 at 11:32. Reason: spelling
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    the tube in the video is the same one i have in a BOB in the basement
    i'll tell you this if it's all i had i'm going to use it but if i had other choices i'm not going to rely on it .... they are thicker then a cheap space blanket but they still can rip easy if they get snagged on underbrush or even a zipper
    and you will get condensation with it like i said if you do a search there are threads on space blanket use.. they are great for a vapor barrier with a UQ but alone i would not trust it in cold temps also the degree of condensation will depend on user,climate you name it for me i can't use a VB ... i wake up in a lake of sweat
    but yes members have tried this and it will work to a degree but in the end they all ended up with a UQ or a pad... even an old sleeping bag as a pod works nice
    but if you do try it do it in your back yard so you can bail into the house
    if it does not go well
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronAlso View Post
    ...The report that patients don't complain about sweat or condensation would suggest at least some degree of vapor permeability....
    If the anesthesiologist is doing his/her job correctly, the patient shouldn't be complaining about anything.

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    I think the Blizzard bag will be suitable for it. I carry one as an emergency bivi/sleep system in the kayak or getting into the mountains.

Theres elastic inside the layers which crinkle the material and provide the trapped air. Its supposed to provide the same insulation as a 3 season down bag, but half the weight. Theres ventilation slashes in it to allow the moisture to escape and you just turn it round to the other side to dry out again.

My blizzard bag weighs 350g, so cut in half and used as a FLUQ would come in at 175g odd. Very noisy but uber light and packable.

• + New Posts