DIY nylon
    Tarp
    DIY nylon
    Insulation
    sleeping bag, pad
    Suspension
    DIY tree huggers

Sewing machine oil discussion

If you decide to keep it, you might try using kerosene on all the moving parts and oiling points to break up any gunk that has formed over the years. I've used this on all five of my antique machines and it works great. This was even in an original owners manual I have on one of them. Great offer you have though. Good luck

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoope Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by jmaddog151 View Post
    If you decide to keep it, you might try using kerosene on all the moving parts and oiling points to break up any gunk that has formed over the years. I've used this on all five of my antique machines and it works great. This was even in an original owners manual I have on one of them. Great offer you have though. Good luck
    Great tip on the Kerosene If I run across a tension assembly, I may just clean it up and keep/sell it. They have great reviews. Just not a lot of info on the old Morse.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Be careful of kerosene on machinery. It can dry out the works and leave a residue that will attract lint and gunk. If you use kerosene for cleaning purposes make sure you clean that residue carefully and follow with an appropriate oiling. WD-40 (aka kerosene in a spray can) is one of the WORST things you can use on a sewing machine. Second only to 3 in 1 oil.

Kerosene is a wonderful penetrant and will eventually work it's way into almost anything and free it up. More than one collector has simply put a whole machine head into a pail of kerosene and left it for awhile, with good, if messy, results. http://www.treadleon.net/sewingmachi...gmachines.html
    Please note... kerosene is described as a penetrant, not a lubricant. If you want to clean gunk.. fine.... if you want to make the machine run smoothly once it is clean.... aviod it in favor of light weight machine oil. Never use Kerosene on motors unless you are willing to have an arc start a fire.
    Last edited by Ramblinrev; 02-07-2012 at 10:29.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Be careful of kerosene on machinery. It can dry out the works and leave a residue that will attract lint and gunk. If you use kerosene for cleaning purposes make sure you clean that residue carefully and follow with an appropriate oiling. WD-40 (aka kerosene in a spray can) is one of the WORST things you can use on a sewing machine. Second only to 3 in 1 oil.
    Why is 3 in 1 oil bad? That's what my Grandmother always used on her machine. I don't want to hurt her machine now that I have it.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    3 in 1 has a series of additives to the lubricating oil. It is extremely harsh and leaves a residue. _They_ say it can be used on sewing machines and maybe it was the best around decades ago. But lightweight sewing machine oil is specifically designed for fine machinery. It is easy to get now where ever sewing machines are sold. Even Wally World carries Singer sewing machine oil.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts