Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images

Thumbs down Hammock video on Backpacker Mag website

Check out the hammock video on Backpacker Magazine's website. They set up a JRB bridge hammock with underquilt.

They really are so uneducated when it comes to hammock camping and really don't know what to say about it. Seems like a half-hearted attempt at best.

Backpacker should feature someone who appreciates hammock camping and knows what they are doing.

Oops, see that this was already covered in other thread.
    Last edited by HappyCamper; 06-09-2008 at 12:49.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11, MacCat
    Insulation
    Snugfit, 2 JRBs
    Images
    Hi Happy Camper. I agree with you. They didn't seem to take it seriously at all.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    One thing that the video showed was the lack of shoulder squeeze that they seemed to have in the JRB Bridge. I have been hearing how much shoulder squeeze they have but that looked pretty nice to me. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    3 gathered ends
    Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Clowns- those 2 editors didn't take it serious.
    "Courage Grows Strong at a Wound" - Stewart Clan Motto

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skskinner View Post
    One thing that the video showed was the lack of shoulder squeeze that they seemed to have in the JRB Bridge. I have been hearing how much shoulder squeeze they have but that looked pretty nice to me. Mule
    skskinner, et al,

Shoulder squeeze is a matter of personal issue not a universal fact.... We agree that the BMBH favors the trim and the back or side sleeper....

That said.

Many, including notably our own FF, have stated the the comfort of the BMBH is a whole plane above gatherend hammocks.... about as much difference again as moving from a good pad on the ground to the hammock initially.

Most of the "Squeeze" comments are from two posters...(one who based comments on a 20 minute test hang) besides them we have received one hammock back because of "shoulder squeeze"... Twenty times those numbers are using BMBH... We have had testers as tall as 6-5 and upwards of 250 pounds report a good night sleep and no real issue with shoulder squeeze.

It is also worth noting that "shoulder squeeze" is often cited by HH and Speer users before they learn to adjust hangs and compensate for it.... It is a factor to some extent in all hammocks.

Altenatively, there is no "almost flat curve" and no "trunk torque" from the canted body angle.

There is no need to put pillows under the leg to prevent knee lock of gatherend hammocks.

There is no need of drip strings... If your tarp is adequate , you will not get wet.

Each should consider the trade-offs of various hammock designs, and use what accomadates them the best....

FWIW, after all the lampooning of the non hammocking testers of Backpacker video fame, it is true that they cited the Jacks 'R' Better Bear Mountian Bridge Hammock, with its lay flat design and matchng under quilts as most preferred by all the testers, even though they are not converted to hammocks. Again, we will keep working on them.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    skskinner, et al,

Shoulder squeeze is a matter of personal issue not a universal fact.... We agree that the BMBH favors the trim and the back or side sleeper....

That said.

Many, including notably our own FF, have stated the the comfort of the BMBH is a whole plane above gatherend hammocks.... about as much difference again as moving from a good pad on the ground to the hammock initially.

Most of the "Squeeze" comments are from two posters...(one who based comments on a 20 minute test hang) besides them we have received one hammock back because of "shoulder squeeze"... Twenty times those numbers are using BMBH... We have had testers as tall as 6-5 and upwards of 250 pounds report a good night sleep and no real issue with shoulder squeeze.

It is also worth noting that "shoulder squeeze" is often cited by HH and Speer users before they learn to adjust hangs and compensate for it.... It is a factor to some extent in all hammocks.

Altenatively, there is no "almost flat curve" and no "trunk torque" from the canted body angle.

There is no need to put pillows under the leg to prevent knee lock of gatherend hammocks.

There is no need of drip strings... If your tarp is adequate , you will not get wet.

Each should consider the trade-offs of various hammock designs, and use what accomadates them the best....

FWIW, after all the lampooning of the non hammocking testers of Backpacker video fame, it is true that they cited the Jacks 'R' Better Bear Mountian Bridge Hammock, with its lay flat design and matchng under quilts as most preferred by all the testers, even though they are not converted to hammocks. Again, we will keep working on them.

Pan
    Pan, are you coming out with a wider model? Rumor has it that you are. I wouldn't want to try one then see the larger model come out. Mule

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Pan, are you coming out with a wider model? Rumor has it that you are. I wouldn't want to try one then see the larger model come out. Mule
    skskinner, et al,

Short answer is yes....

BUT.... Facts are that keeping up with sales.... all the new quilts, tarps, shelters, tri-glides, strap sets etc and our preparations to exhibit at the Outdoor Retailer Summer Market Show in Utah this August put the larger bridge way down the line in R&D.... Don't look for it until at least Spring 2009

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    skskinner, et al,

Short answer is yes....

BUT.... Facts are that keeping up with sales.... all the new quilts, tarps, shelters, tri-glides, strap sets etc and our preparations to exhibit at the Outdoor Retailer Summer Market Show in Utah this August put the larger bridge way down the line in R&D.... Don't look for it until at least Spring 2009

Pan
    Pan, I just ordered one. I have tried nearly every thing else. I might really like it. How much larger will your larger one be? Mule

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Ain't that the truth. I just got email from a friend who said he was getting shoulder squeeze in his double Eno !

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Pan, I just ordered one. I have tried nearly every thing else. I might really like it. How much larger will your larger one be? Mule
    skskinner, et al.

good question... But...Can not say yet.... there are many trade off issues and we have not even started to work it .... Suffice to say it will probably be 2-3 inches wider and a little longer, heavier and with a higher wgt rating... beyond that all will have to wait until we can give it the time a new item deserves.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast