Underquilt Design Question

If climashield is a continuous fabric would it be possible create an underquilt with an opening along one side so one could insert or remove sections of climashield? This would enable one to adjust insulation to match anticipated temperatures.

I don’t know the availability of current models of climashield, but I found a web site listing three different layers: 2.5oz, 3.7oz, 5.0oz. Having one section of each to insert or remove would offer a high degree of flexibility.

What are the potential limitations of this system? Would an underquilt shell thick enough to handle all layers simultaneously perform poorly if only one layer was inserted?

If anyone has tried such an underquilt; what was the result?

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    I've made climashield under quilts, a winter and a summer one. I used the thicker climashield for the winter and doubled it. I also tied sections of it together so it wouldn't shift around. The climashield is easy to work with but I would not try to have one end of the quilt open and try adding or taking away the stuff to make a warmer or cooler quilt. I just don't think the stuff would be sturdy enough to do that very many times (if at all).

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    You would likely be better off making a climashield UQ for the typical temperatures you hang during and add a IX layer or 2 between your hammock and UQ if you plan on going out in colder temps.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    I think you'll find that changing the UQ is the more difficult way to regulate comfort. End venting and adjusting your top insulation are just so convenient and quick.

Here's an extreme example; I sometimes put my hammock up in the basement with my 0* incubator UQ, and can lay on that quite comfortably in 65* house temps with no top insulation.

Now if you're trying to lighten your UQ or make it pack smaller then a variable layer system does make a lot of sense.

I think it was Demonix who made the point once that with our bedding at home we change out our top comforters with the seasons but the mattress doesn't change.

David

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    The fly in the ointment is weight of the enclosure of the back-up batting. With lots of money but little storage space for a second quilt, I suppose you might make a slip cover for the climashield insert out of super-light weight (.6oz) cuben, perforating it for vapor flow. Using 4 sq yds of cuben for the pillow case, you'd be packing 2 1/5 oz of non-working fabric.

Venting of a too-warm UQ is fine, but it is fair enough to ask: What about concern for weight and bulk on the trail (or bike)? I'm personally at an OK compromise point with a 20F partial UQ.

I am surprised to read the number of folks using UQs at 60F+ or warmer. Maybe in another thread: Yes you can vent a 0F (down) UQ for 70F......but why did you even deploy it at that temp?

To the OP: Find a recent post by BillyBob on his early limited-run and discontinued Warbonnet synth-filled Yeti. It was zippered for additional seasonal insulation pads.

Thanks all for your feedback!

• + New Posts