Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    hard core riding a bike to a hang in the snow
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Winter condensation.......one of life's camping conundrums.
    You are making me envious with all of your trips of late.
    Been on the road on my end....work. Good thing though.
    Our lack of snow makes this winter a backpacking wash.
    Enjoyed it.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruciehi5 View Post
    You’ve even got nice street lights! It was great to see you out amongst it at –12. I was wondering, why didn’t you go for a swim in the lake, BlazeAway? It would have been nice and cold. lol Thanks for letting me know that it takes two coffees to get your heart started after a freezing cold night like that. I saw a nice house with a hammock out the front, which was pretty good. Thanks for the cold video!
    That hammock was the reason for that video shot. Glad you noticed it. And the second cup of coffee was an excuse for staying in the warm hammock a bit longer.
    Best,
    Blaze

Quote Originally Posted by mbiraman View Post
    So how many tarps do you have?? "This is my fair weather winter mid day after lunch tarp",,,(-;,,,,,,,,just kidding of course. I like seeing you test out all this gear but i have to say i got cold just watching you ride the bike,,,,but good on you. Good for you to get out there in all sorts of conditions. I get miserable in winter when my feet or hands get cold. I carry a couple of hot packs with me just in case. Always good to see your vid's .

bill
    Truth be told, I have 9 different tarps for 9 hammocks and then a MSR Zing Ultralight Tarp Tent as a base camp tarp.
    Yeah, the cold has a negative effect on my limbs too.
    Best,
    Blaze

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    So did I hear minus 12 C on the video, or about 10.4 F? Very interesting video Blaze! I have wanted to get my hands on one of those PolarPods for a long time. This is the first test I have seen of it.

You had some pretty serious insulation to fill the gap on top, and the summer (40F) HG UQ on bottom, plus that nice hooded down jacket. The great thing about that PolarPod is plenty of room for all of that. Or I think there would be. Do you feel there was plenty of room.

Do you consider yourself a cold, average or warm sleeper?

Were you toasty warm? How much did you close the pod- completely or nearly so, small vent, larger ( say over 6" diameter) vent- or even more?

Thanks for recording that test!
    I am sorry, keep forgetting we are in different worlds. I talk in *C.
    And for your information my Polarpod is overstuffed with 6 oz. extra down. In hindsight I would put in 12 oz. should I buy one again.
    As for room, I could have added a Dreamwalker 650 L and still be comfortable space wise. That setup is for extreme cold weather. All this gear because I am a cold sleeper (I need a lot of warmth). And I always have my nose in the fresh air to avoid a build up of moisture in the down, though I regulate the hole during the night to stay at a temperature that I find comfortable.
    Best,
    Blaze

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    not wanting to hijack but US cold sleepers must unite, must find anything that is lighweight, reliable, and HOT.
    On my last hang Wisenber turned me onto the Zippo handwarmers.
    They work, are lightweight, and can make a huge difference. 1 ounce of fuel in my tests (using Ronsinol lighter fluid) gave a solid 12 hours of heat.
    Blaze, please research these units, think 2 of them for each pocket or each kidney or on on the chest and one near the femoral artery. I have used, and used to think the hot water bottle was the way...but that means a sock to put the bottle in and a roll top waterproof bag. The Zippo handwarmers require none of that and produce heat just as long.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by islander View Post
    Super Trip report Blazeaway. Amazing the low temperatures you are able to keep warm hanging & sleeping through.
    Very informative video of all the gear you used to make it happen.
    Thumbs-Up!
    Thanks islander. I just use some amazing gear. No big deal.
    Best,
    Blaze

Quote Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
    Great post Blaze! Really like the gear review, the new Top Quilt and tarp look mighty fine! Great to be able to see the moon through your "roof".

Cheers
    Thanks Callahan.
    Though I have a lot of gear, only one of each will suffice.
    Best,
    Blaze

Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    I must say that I'm truly jealous of how much time you get to spend out in your hammock Blaze. Your country is beautiful and I love the videos you bring us.
    If I had a hanging partner I could easily double my hanging time. But still, hanging alone is ok.
    Best,
    Blaze

Quote Originally Posted by born2roam View Post
    Thanks in advance Blaze ;-)

Will watch the vid later but knowing your vid's, I am sure I will like them....

Grtz Johan
    Hope you liked it born2roam.
    Best,
    Blaze

Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    hard core riding a bike to a hang in the snow
    Not that hardcore. Waiting for a fog to lift so I can get out on a hike without adding rain clothes.
    Best,
    Blaze

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Winter condensation.......one of life's camping conundrums.
    You are making me envious with all of your trips of late.
    Been on the road on my end....work. Good thing though.
    Our lack of snow makes this winter a backpacking wash.
    Enjoyed it.
    Shug
    And here I thought you had a visit by King Winter (snow) every year. Hope the snow maker it over there. And looking forward to your next outing. Need that video for my morning coffee.
    Best,
    Blaze

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    not wanting to hijack but US cold sleepers must unite, must find anything that is lighweight, reliable, and HOT.
    On my last hang Wisenber turned me onto the Zippo handwarmers.
    They work, are lightweight, and can make a huge difference. 1 ounce of fuel in my tests (using Ronsinol lighter fluid) gave a solid 12 hours of heat.
    Blaze, please research these units, think 2 of them for each pocket or each kidney or on on the chest and one near the femoral artery. I have used, and used to think the hot water bottle was the way...but that means a sock to put the bottle in and a roll top waterproof bag. The Zippo handwarmers require none of that and produce heat just as long.
    No way. The Zippo hand warmer runs on a combustion principe and thus produce water vapor.
    Nalgene bottles (or any hot water bottle) are the way.
    Best,
    Blaze

Images
    Blaze, you mention the end openings of the PolarPod being a source of considerable heat loss, and they certainly could be. But when using my PeaPod, especially with my shorter hammocks- those 10 ft or under but even shorter is better for this- I tightly cinch the ends down near the hammock end knot. This seems to keep the warmth in pretty good, though there is always at least a tiny hole for some leaking.

Do you do this with the PolarPod? Another thing have occasionally done is stuff something up into that area of the hammock, completely blocking even the tiny vent. Of course, you have to have something available for that job.

Often, when my face vent is really small, my head and face are the warmest part of my body using the PeaPod. I often have to remove my hood or hat.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Blaze, you mention the end openings of the PolarPod being a source of considerable heat loss, and they certainly could be. But when using my PeaPod, especially with my shorter hammocks- those 10 ft or under but even shorter is better for this- I tightly cinch the ends down near the hammock end knot. This seems to keep the warmth in pretty good, though there is always at least a tiny hole for some leaking.

Do you do this with the PolarPod? Another thing have occasionally done is stuff something up into that area of the hammock, completely blocking even the tiny vent. Of course, you have to have something available for that job.

Often, when my face vent is really small, my head and face are the warmest part of my body using the PeaPod. I often have to remove my hood or hat.
    The Traveler and the Polarpod is a perfect fit. I will give a closeup of how I tie them together in my next video.
    Best,
    Blaze

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123