Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Can't really say why I love your vids Blaze but I do!
    OK I've remembered something about my tarp set up and our previous discussions on going through the whoopie, I remembered it this time watching this your latest vid-because, well duh it's winter! I remembered it because as I watch this vid I wonder when it's this cold you don't go all the way to ground with your tarp...especially now as you use this Winter Palace (the cuben HammockGear tarp).....you see when I use this tarp (I've got the same one you do) and I want to go to ground with the tarp I have to set up the hammock very close to the ground and I have to set the tarp up very close to the hammock-that is why I go through the woopies...the result is my tarp edges touch the ground or are close enough to close the gap with snow, then close the tarp doors and you get the tent effect of up to 10 more degrees of warmth inside.
    In summer/spring/fall I do like you Blaze and set the tarp up above the hammock suspension.
    For those reading this thread who don't know what I'm talking about when I say taking the tarp to ground I've included a pic from the Mt.Rogers hang. The tarp I used on that trip was a McCat Ultra with ZQ/TQ beaks (before ZQ sewed on doors for me).
    Also for those watching Blaze's vid, when he says (I hope I'm thinking right) its -10 he means -10 Celcius which is 14 Fahrenheit.....and again for those who are converting, on this weekends intended hang on Roan, if it gets to 0 Fahrenheit then it will be -17 Celcius.
    OK the boots on the end of the PeaPod--Blaze, would you use them again? It reminded me of bees. I checked on my beehives on the mountain yesterday and the hives in town this morning. There is an opening where the bees land and an opening all around the top of the hive, you cant see the opening at the top because it has a cover-but if you occlude the top opening the bees will freeze to death-this is because moisture gets trapped in the hive. Same thing with us hangers in a way, our moisture has to pass or eventually like the bees we will get wet, and cold and wet will kill.
    Just tried the local outfitter-no UCO Micro's in stock
    Blad you are SUPER
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WarBonnet Blackbird 1.1
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Edge
    Insulation
    4 JRB quilts.
    Suspension
    Home made job.
    You’ve even got nice street lights! It was great to see you out amongst it at –12. I was wondering, why didn’t you go for a swim in the lake, BlazeAway? It would have been nice and cold. lol Thanks for letting me know that it takes two coffees to get your heart started after a freezing cold night like that. I saw a nice house with a hammock out the front, which was pretty good. Thanks for the cold video!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    So how many tarps do you have?? "This is my fair weather winter mid day after lunch tarp",,,(-;,,,,,,,,just kidding of course. I like seeing you test out all this gear but i have to say i got cold just watching you ride the bike,,,,but good on you. Good for you to get out there in all sorts of conditions. I get miserable in winter when my feet or hands get cold. I carry a couple of hot packs with me just in case. Always good to see your vid's .

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Images
    So did I hear minus 12 C on the video, or about 10.4 F? Very interesting video Blaze! I have wanted to get my hands on one of those PolarPods for a long time. This is the first test I have seen of it.

You had some pretty serious insulation to fill the gap on top, and the summer (40F) HG UQ on bottom, plus that nice hooded down jacket. The great thing about that PolarPod is plenty of room for all of that. Or I think there would be. Do you feel there was plenty of room.

Do you consider yourself a cold, average or warm sleeper?

Were you toasty warm? How much did you close the pod- completely or nearly so, small vent, larger ( say over 6" diameter) vent- or even more?

Thanks for recording that test!

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat's
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Super Trip report Blazeaway. Amazing the low temperatures you are able to keep warm hanging & sleeping through.
    Very informative video of all the gear you used to make it happen.
    Thumbs-Up!

Hammock
    WB / BIAS
    Tarp
    HG Custom 4S
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG, MB
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Great post Blaze! Really like the gear review, the new Top Quilt and tarp look mighty fine! Great to be able to see the moon through your "roof".

Cheers

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    I must say that I'm truly jealous of how much time you get to spend out in your hammock Blaze. Your country is beautiful and I love the videos you bring us.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    Thanks in advance Blaze ;-)

Will watch the vid later but knowing your vid's, I am sure I will like them....

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Creek View Post
    Very nice documentation of everything. You seem extremely happy with all of your HammockGear.com gear. All your reviews of equipment and experiments with different configuration/uses are appreciated.

I loved seeing the Moon shot through the tarp. You live in a beautiful part of the world. Thanks for giving us a peak into it on every video. I look forward to the next video installment.
    I am very pleased with US cottage industry gear. All the gear I have received is top notch.
    And super glad you like the videos I do.
    Best,
    Blaze

Quote Originally Posted by G.G. View Post
    Another good share. Thanks Blaze.

Also, love the fact you ride everywhere. I wish the states shared the use of bicycles like Europe.
    Yes that is nice that we have the cycle culture that we have here in Europa.
    Best,
    Blaze

Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Great tip on using a down jacket with TQ.
    It looks like it will keep the drafts off your shoulder and neck.

It sure looked like more condensation collected on and around the ends of the polarpod
    when you had them covered compared to other video's you've made when they were left open to breath. Do you even feel a draft when the ends are left open?

Excellent video as always just the right amount of gear review and scenery.
    thanks you
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Oops, I had another question.
    What type of water bottle do you take into the hammock with you and do you use the alky stove to heat that water?

I have always been afraid of my bottles leaking.
    I've been using chemical heater packs in my down booties.
    As temperature drops, the air holes for ventilation at the ends of the pod becomes a source of considerable heat loss. I will try to use a JRB Hood and see how that will work.

And for heat in the hammock I have used two 400 ml. Nalgene bottles. On this hang I had brought cooked water from home, but normally I have boiled water with my Mini Atomic.

Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    Awesome dude!

That cuben looks really pretty out there in the Danish woods. Glad you stayed warm in your hammock and I'm looking forward to your next video. Great stuff!

Fronkey
    First time I tried the HG Cuben tarp and it passed the test with glamour.
    Best,
    Blaze

Quote Originally Posted by HangingKayaker View Post
    Great to see the winter camping videos. I'm impressed with the fact that you rode your bike to the location Blaze! The scenery is cool to see and I hope spring is on its way...for all of us. Thanks for the report.
    Oh spring. Can’t be long now. So no more salt to attack my bike.
    Best,
    Blaze

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewA View Post
    Excellent video as usual Blaze. You are an awesome inspiration for us noobs! Thanks again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gustav View Post
    Once again Blaze, Nice video !! Your videos alway make me want to get out for a hang !!
    Thanks a mill !!
    Thanks guys. Just trying to pay back for what I took.
    Best,
    Blaze

Quote Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
    Brrrr. I enjoy watching your cold camping video's. All I can say is, you and Shug and the other guys who do hammock hangs in those kind of temperatures are way tougher than I am.
    It is a technique. That simple.
    Best,
    Blaze

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Can't really say why I love your vids Blaze but I do!
    OK I've remembered something about my tarp set up and our previous discussions on going through the whoopie, I remembered it this time watching this your latest vid-because, well duh it's winter! I remembered it because as I watch this vid I wonder when it's this cold you don't go all the way to ground with your tarp...especially now as you use this Winter Palace (the cuben HammockGear tarp).....you see when I use this tarp (I've got the same one you do) and I want to go to ground with the tarp I have to set up the hammock very close to the ground and I have to set the tarp up very close to the hammock-that is why I go through the woopies...the result is my tarp edges touch the ground or are close enough to close the gap with snow, then close the tarp doors and you get the tent effect of up to 10 more degrees of warmth inside.
    In summer/spring/fall I do like you Blaze and set the tarp up above the hammock suspension.
    For those reading this thread who don't know what I'm talking about when I say taking the tarp to ground I've included a pic from the Mt.Rogers hang. The tarp I used on that trip was a McCat Ultra with ZQ/TQ beaks (before ZQ sewed on doors for me).
    Also for those watching Blaze's vid, when he says (I hope I'm thinking right) its -10 he means -10 Celcius which is 14 Fahrenheit.....and again for those who are converting, on this weekends intended hang on Roan, if it gets to 0 Fahrenheit then it will be -17 Celcius.
    OK the boots on the end of the PeaPod--Blaze, would you use them again? It reminded me of bees. I checked on my beehives on the mountain yesterday and the hives in town this morning. There is an opening where the bees land and an opening all around the top of the hive, you cant see the opening at the top because it has a cover-but if you occlude the top opening the bees will freeze to death-this is because moisture gets trapped in the hive. Same thing with us hangers in a way, our moisture has to pass or eventually like the bees we will get wet, and cold and wet will kill.
    Just tried the local outfitter-no UCO Micro's in stock
    Blad you are SUPER
    Thanks MedecineMan and once again Happy Birthday.
    Ok, that clarifies the tarp/whoopie thing.
    As for the holes in the ends of the Polarpod, I will do a little more experimenting. I will try to use a JRB Hood. It fits amazingly well.
    Best,
    Blaze

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast