Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Made some tree straps, but now considering recyling WBBB straps

So, I may have jumped the gun a little on some tree straps, and I'd like a few opinions if possible.

I have just finished constructing two 5' tree huggers from 1.5" polyester webbing I bought at strapworks. I did not put loops in both ends, because I am figuring to use a MSH on the free end after passing it through the loop.

First question: Should I sew a loop on the other end of the straps for possible extender use in the future? This obviously would shorten the straps by approximately 5".

Second Question: For the MSH, does it need to be "neat", as in no puckers in the webbing around the knot? 1.5" webbing is not exactly the most flexible for tying knots

Third Question: The webbing suspension on my WBBB has been replaced with whoopies. Should I simply make some longer tree straps using the webbing from the BB, or should I use it to make extenders for the 1.5" webbing?

I'm using a simple .25" aluminum dowel I cut for toggles until I get used to the whoopie/ MSH style. I have not hung with this suspension yet in the woods, only in my basement, so I have a slight bit of adjusting to do this weekend in the woods.
    Mike, Backcountry Mentor
    https://backcountrymentor.com
    Check me out on YouTube!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhqpe2xIWBXRVtpB5dxAJA

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    Hi

5' is petty short but if you're light and don't require a larger diameter tree like myself and some you'll be okay with those 5'ers. I don't think I would recycle those wb straps, I converted my wb over to whoopies and still use the stock wb straps, I like a good distance between my trees, seems to work for the lay I like.
    Your knot doesn't have to be extremely tight but you don't want to see light through the knot, your fear would be the spike falling or slipping out as you load it.

Good luck with it all
    http://smartoutdoors.webs.com/ elephant trunks, tarp keys and crosses

Hammock
    WB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    DIY-900 down UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie-
    Images
    I'm pretty much in the same situation right now. My WBBB webbing straps were 12' in length and along with a pair of good carabiners, came to 8.4 oz for the pair. There has never been a time that I had to use all of that webbing lenght. But to be on the safe side, I made my whoopie slings 7' in length and when my webbing arrives I'll be making them slightly under 6' in lenght, giving me just about the same length as I orginally had except being much lighter. I don't feel like playing around with the marlin spike hitch, so I also ordered those lightweight elephant trunk clips to connect my sling to webbing, just looked like a strong reliable device in my opinion. They do warn you not to make a loop in the opposing end for thier clips however. I also plan on keeping my WB staps intact, it's a good setup even though it is a bit heavy, and just in case something doesn't work out, I can always go back and put them back on.
    Last edited by uncle_ray_ray; 02-10-2012 at 13:03.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    In my experience it doesn't take much tree to hold up a big person. I typically hang from 6-8" diameter, live healthy, trees. Never had a fear that my 300+lbs girth was gonna bring a tree down.

I have 6' straps on my all-in-one whoopie sling and it's always
    been more than I needed. No problem, just an extra wrap should do.

I'd guess that 5' straps would be sufficient most of the time. That should be enough for upto a 12" trunk with enough left for the MSH.

I wouldn't bother with another loop in the webbing. It's not real expensive, you can always make another set if you need longer or use an extension on your whoopie slings.

P.S. - Get a set of carabiners instead of running the strap through the loop. The more the straps are deformed under load the more stress they have to take. So, yes, try to make the MSH as nice & neat as possible.
    Last edited by AaronAlso; 02-10-2012 at 14:03. Reason: P.S.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    I also use the MSH with 6' straps. I could easily go down to 5' or even 4' for most hangs. I just like the extra length. I use 12' cargo straps cut in half so it's actually closer to 5'8" straps. I always use a neat knot, it's very easy with practice to get it neat and you don't have to worry about hangups or slips in the spike.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    When I used whoopies I preferred loops in both ends of the tree straps.

I used the method demonstrated around the 1:00 mark of this video.

The reason I like this is your whoopie can act as a partial extender to get around larger trees.

• + New Posts