Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    wow! Great trip! Thanks!
    Interesting that somebody asked about no tarp. I was thinking a 5x7 in addition to the Macat would have let you set up a wind break. Would not weigh much and would not need to be waterproof for that.
    Also was looking at your setup and thinking about the folks on Mt Ranier. I'm betting they got buried in their tents. With a hammock setup dug in I would bet one could handle a heavy snowfall better than in a tent. More room.

Images
    Hi Mugs, That was a fantastic trip report.
    What a beautiful place to winter hike and hang.
    Your Papa smurf sock really looks like a winner.
    Great idea for dealing with blowing snow.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    HG4seasonCFw/doors
    Insulation
    Hammock gear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Mugs,
    I am glad you got out there, and you did this before the group hang, so you were all set!

Great video and report, I hope that this is only the first of many.

I look foreword to hangin out with you some more!
    Jose Diaz

Hammock
    Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    Looks like a great trip. The pictures and video are wonderful.

If you have a PC then you have Windows Movie Maker (its part of windows) for video editing, it's not super powerful but will let you do basic things, on a Mac there is IMovie, which is quite a bit better than Windows Movie Maker IMO, and I believe it is preinstalled with all versions of Mac OSX, though I could be mistaken.
    I don't think I have windows movie maker...I still have windows XP 2003 Technological savvy I am not.

I wish I had a Mac, and would love to buy one. Even my wife who used (she has gone on to bigger and better things) to do IT for 15 years, now wants to convert over to a Mac. And given my new career change (shop teacher) a Mac would be great. But there so dang expensive...Then again I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for. Which is why all my tools say Mac, Snap On, Matco, or S & K...that should tell you what I used to do for a living.

It basically oils down to this...Provided Uncle Sam/Obama gives me back the change (pun intended) they took from me. I would like to by a new computer.....but....

New Computer....the responsible thing to do.

New Plasma cutter....Need it, but can get away with out for a while longer...will make my money back on it, eventually.

Body for my new rat rod project....Totally irresponsible, will end up costing money, but will sure be hella fun.

I can only pic one out of the 3, and I tend to be irresponsible and like to have fun

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Answer this-
    How would you have fared with NO tarp.
    Seems at these temps AND using a sock that a tarp is not needed.
    Any pricip will be solid right, should hit the hammock sock and bounce off.
    In your set up the tarp was high-your own admission. It didn't black nor hold in heat.
    So why bother? Just asking not pointing out fault as you obviously had a wonderful warm scenic time.
    Thanks for the peak into this incredible world. I enjoyed the pics and thanks Bruciehi5
    the vid too.
    I would have probably been ok, but not enjoyed myself.
    A: The M90 is not water proof so in the end I may have gotten fairly damp.
    B: The tarp did provide over head protection and more side protection then had it not been up. The snow would have been falling on "me and my face" all night.
    C: I was testing to sock to just see how it worked/fared and what type of micro climate I got with it. Yes the temps did not get low enough to really need it (with a proper tarp) but in this situation it proved to be a valuable asset. Now on the Mid Winter Central Washington Hang I went on 3 days later, it was needed for what it was designed for. It increased my temp by about 10 degrees or more, and made a very nice micro climate, as compared to the frigid painful cold that hit my face when I climbed out of it the next morning.
    I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12