Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension

Upper Regis Lake Snow Shoe TR

....And first video ever......

OK I figure I better get this up before my motivation is gone forever. Not much of a TR and video guy but I thought I would give it a whirl.

On Jan 29 and 30 a buddy and I headed up into Upper Regis Lake on the Idaho/Montana boarder. It was about a 5 mile snow shoe hike in and we went from about 3200 feet to almost 6000 feet.

After calling the rangers for an avalanche report and checking NOAA for the weather we packed our stuff and headed out. NOAA called for temps to be around 30 and winds SSW at 15mph, 100% of snowed and an expected 6-7 inches. Well it snow more like 12-14 but more on that later.

The trail was very compacted down because of all the snowmobilers running in and out of that area, so it made for some quick travel time (the next day was a different story.)

As we started to really ascend the views began to open up and the mountains revealed their winter splendor.

I was amazed at the ease of travel we had going into the lakes. In the summer it can be a bit of a slog, but we were able to hike the valley floor all the way up. Normally the valley is so thick with bear brush and over growth that one is forced up on the cliff side to walk the goat path all the way in. Man what a difference 10-12 feet of snow make There was some technical parts but nothing too terribly bad.

Once we got to the upper lake (snow covered and frozen) we set up camp, ate, and climbed into the hammocks. They were close enough so we could have a conversation until we went to sleep.

Setting up wasn't too bad, I merely dug about a 16inch trench down and hung my hammock "in/above" it. By about 7pm when we climbed into our hammocks, and it had started to snow quite a bit, and we knew we were in for a big dump that night.

I was trying out my new PapaSmurf Danger Bird and Winter Sock and I tell you what, both performed flawlessly. I was so thankful for the winter sock especially. The wind picked up quite a bit and the snow just kept dumping into my sleeping area. Had I not had the winter sock I would have had a hammock full of wet down and would have been force to go into survivor mode. The winter sock kept all that crap off my UQ and from soaking me and my hammock. It was a life saver.

So the next day we awake to about 12-14inches of fresh powder And we knew it was going to be quite the haul out. So eat breakfast, pack up and head back across the lake for some killer snow shoe adventures.

The snow is coming up to my knees even with snow shoes

That water hole is about ten feet down

All in all it was a great trip and I had a blast. I got to try snow shoeing for the first time, made my first video. And tried out some new hammock gear.

I can't wait for the next one to come along.

Hope you all like the video. Please keep in mind I have no editing software, and this is my first video ever. But any and all comments are welcome. Now If I could only figure out how to embed it. I tried the whole your tuve thing that is in the upper right hand corner, but it doesn't seem to want to work...sorry.

Enjoy.

Snow Shoe VIDEO
    Last edited by mugs; 02-09-2012 at 23:51.
    I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.

Hammock
    Grizz Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Pinnacle& Greylock
    Suspension
    Whoops
    Unbelievable pictures! Looks like too much snow for me

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Images
    You did a great report and video of your winter survival experience. I'm convinced now that a winter sock is the rig to have.I'm glad you made it out safe.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Looks like a great trip. The pictures and video are wonderful.

If you have a PC then you have Windows Movie Maker (its part of windows) for video editing, it's not super powerful but will let you do basic things, on a Mac there is IMovie, which is quite a bit better than Windows Movie Maker IMO, and I believe it is preinstalled with all versions of Mac OSX, though I could be mistaken.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    HH Explorer, Exped, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge,MacCat Mic
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock
    Love that picture on the lake with all the Sub Alpine Firs in the background.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Good job you guys. Powder is great , beautiful,,and allot of work. Glad to hear the PS stuff worked so well.

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    WarBonnet Blackbird 1.1
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Edge
    Insulation
    4 JRB quilts.
    Suspension
    Home made job.
    How about that snow! It seemed to go a quarter of the way up the trees! I got the impression you spend a fair bit of time out snow camping. You seemed quite at home. If I ever hang in the snow, I’ll be getting one of those cover things you have. Anyway, Mugs, for a first, second or tenth video, that was GREAT! I hope you make some more!

I had LOTS of trouble embedding my videos to start with. The way to do it is demoed below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdi8m-C07QM

Copy the last part of the Web address that links to your video:

hdi8m-C07QM

Using "Notepad," paste that between these two YouTubes:

Like this:

[YOU TUBE]hdi8m-C07QM[/YOU TUBE]

The last line...

[YOU TUBE]hdi8m-C07QM[/YOU TUBE]

is the one you place in your newly created thread.

Please note that in order to show you how it is done, I have put a space between [YOU and TUBE] [YOU TUBE][/YOU TUBE] If you remove the two spaces, it will work. Also, and importantly, use "Notepad" to do the above and then copy and paste it into your thread.

Mug's First Video.

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    You've got me wishing for white powdery snow this winter.......& i live in the sub tropics !
    Enjoyed your post.....

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Answer this-
    How would you have fared with NO tarp.
    Seems at these temps AND using a sock that a tarp is not needed.
    Any pricip will be solid right, should hit the hammock sock and bounce off.
    In your set up the tarp was high-your own admission. It didn't black nor hold in heat.
    So why bother? Just asking not pointing out fault as you obviously had a wonderful warm scenic time.
    Thanks for the peak into this incredible world. I enjoyed the pics and thanks Bruciehi5
    the vid too.

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    Wow, I'm not sure what else to say
    http://smartoutdoors.webs.com/ elephant trunks, tarp keys and crosses

• + New Posts