HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by danfromnb View Post
    One thing you may want to note: I found that the picture on the Hennessy site made it look taller than it is. They list the measurements, I'm not saying they are misleading anyone, but the angle that the photo is taken from throws the scale off.

I had pictured in my mind being able to put up my tarp and build snow walls around it, which I still can.... How can I explain it? The snow is the wall and the tarp is the roof right? (You sleep in the loft more than the first floor for this scenario ) Well I figured I'd have a taller roof and shorter walls than I do in reality.

I'm still very happy with my purchase though and look forward to testing this tarp to it's limits.
    Thanks for posting this...this is kinda my concern.

According to Hennessy's website, their Hex tarp is 144" x 120". The Typhoon lists as 120" x 90", and I'm kind of assuming that's out to the "point" on the sides. That would make the Typhoon 2 feet smaller and 2 1/2 feet less wide at least. Seems like a pretty considerable loss of coverage, kind of as you've described above.

I have the HH Hex tarp...and frankly, it's darned forgiving. It's plenty 'tall' enough that there's a lot of safe room underneath it. I could potentially sleep low enough to bring the edges of it to the ground if I needed to.

I'm debating on either sending it in to 2QZQ and having them attach doors to it or buying the Typhoon from HH. On one hand...a second tarp that comes with doors. But...if the tarp is considerably smaller than the hex, I may well not be happy with that. The other option is still only having one tarp...but having doors on the ends that give me a considerable amount of dry workspace underneath that tarp when the wind is howling, the rain is flying, and the beer is flowing.

So...that's the decision I'm trying to make. Weight for me isn't a major factor in this particular choice. Any input towards that effort would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Owl; 02-15-2012 at 17:36.

Hammock
    HH BU
    Tarp
    HH Typhoon
    Insulation
    I just suck it up
    Suspension
    HH
    If I get a chance over the next couple of days I'll set my hammock up with the typhoon and get a pic of it for ya.

(and if I remember to bring my camera home from work)

I actually have two typhoons. One has no doors (due to a mix up during the hennessy sale, and hennessy's great customer service). I think with the proper trees I can hang the two tarps together in one long, angled tunnel. I could either have both doors on one tarp or a door at the end of each. This may make for a nice set up for me if I'm stuck in rain or staying in the same location for a couple of days. I have no real idea how well this will work yet as I haven't tried to set the two tarps up together, but "it looks good on paper".
    Last edited by danfromnb; 02-15-2012 at 21:13.

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Hi Owl,
    Its a small fairly light tarp with lots of tie downs to cope with the nasty things nature throws at it.....
    ...if the wind changes direction during the night or you need to hunker down for that approaching storm,
    just attach those end doors & ride out the worst.
    Versatile piece of kit.....I love it.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    My impression is the Hex is set up with a long ridge line to provide protection when hung higher. Hennessy says it needs it's own ridge line as opposed to the stock diamond tarp. OTOH the Monsoon has end walls so it does not need the extra overhang on the ends and is pitched close on the sides, same deal. When I compared the Hennesy Hex to all the others I found it is significantly bigger. One reason it is heavy is that it is just very big!.

Hammock
    Grapenut DIY
    Tarp
    HNO Airship
    Insulation
    Leigh-Lo
    Suspension
    Always
    Owl,

I have both the Hex and the Monsoon. It is definitely much smaller than the Hex. If you wench it down to put the doors on its not nearly as roomy either. That isn't a complaint just a fact.

I like it, and believe it is cut on a similar Asym to the Hennessy Hammocks. However, I've used it several times with a Grand Trunk UL and had no problems in coverage. "Tight" would be the operative word on the fit, but heck anything probably is in comparison to the massive Hex.

I haven't rode out a wet storm but took it close to the ground on a cold windy night. I felt like I was hanging closer to the ground than I liked, but thats a personal matter. It comes with guy lines and shock cord. I kept the shock and removed the guys to save some weight since mine is silnylon and it helped minimize sag. I get a tight pitch with and without a ridgeline. Aso comes with tons of mitten hooks.

Overall I'd say I like it, but don't love it. It is dark as mentioned earlier. I called during the fall sale and they were already out of demos so Anne gave me a deal.

I'm saving up for a Hammock Gear CF with door flaps, but this will certainly work until then.

Hope that helps.

Ftroop94
    Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the open road,
    Healthy, free, the world before me,
    The long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Thanks so much for the pics and the info. I never did get a response from several phone calls and emails to Hennessy simply asking for a comparison on sizes.

Since it's a good bit smaller, I think I've opted to go ahead with 2QZQ doors being added to my hex...with a slight twist I've discussed with Tim. Will be sending my tarp in to have it modded after my trip on the 9th.

I like the roominess under the hex...and adding doors will hopefully maintain that and give me plenty of dry space even in windy/snowy/stormy conditions. My concern is that I don't just use the tarp for dry cover over my hammock, but as a refuge for me and potentially several others to ride out inclement weather for several hours if need be. The hex with added doors would give me both cover for the hammock and dry space to work in while the weather is ugly.

Hammock
    North American
    Tarp
    sil-nylon rain fly
    Insulation
    bag/pad combo
    Suspension
    slapstraps
    Images
    I would buy the sil nylon it is lighter by alot.
    Happy Hanging To All

S-size up the situation
    U-undue haste makes waste
    R-remember where you are
    V-vanquish fear and panic
    I-improvise
    V-value living
    A-act like the natives
    L-live by your wits

Hammock
    Hennessy - Expedition
    Tarp
    HH Hex, Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    Body fat
    Suspension
    stiff

Cost of adding door?

Owl,
    I love my HH Hex Tarp.
    What is the cost to add the doors? and how do you like them?
    I would love to add them to mine also.
    PLEASE add a pic of the finished Tarp if possible.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12