Dutchware 11foot
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Snugpak w/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie & Toggle

Question Question for solo hikers

I have been thinking of taking a few simple solo hikes. My biggest issue I think is going to be convincing the Wife. Since one of the basic rules of safe hiking that is taught to Boy Scouts is the buddy system a solo hike goes right against that. I know that with people knowing my route, schedule and check in times you can still hike alone and be safe. I have also been sure not to show her Fronkey's video of the attack of the killer tree.

Any tips on how to work with family members about the desire for some solo time? I also don't want to give my Son the idea that he can just run off solo at 12. Figure as long as I am smart and include him in my planning it should help there.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    That's a mixed bag for sure. At the ripe old age of nearly 58 to go solo and give my wife a little more peace of mind ... I've started carrying a ACR ResQLink PLB. That actually does give her a little more peace of mind that if I got into trouble I could trip the beacon and get help even in the remotest parts of Linville Gorge. Since there is limited to no cell signal in there ... that's the trade off in my family. She does have confidence that I've been doing this long enough that I can do it safely ... but stuff happens. She's a lot happier when I'm with my friends and fellow Gorge Rats though. Me too actually but I still like the occasional solo excursion!

Of course I still kid her that the PLB is just so she can locate the body for insurance purposes!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Lol. Most of my mountain biking is done solo due to my work schedule. My wife knows that I ride more cautiously when solo, so that eases her stress.

She also jokes about the insurance policy paying off the house if I meet an untimely demise.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    You said it -- start off with a few simple solo outings. Go somewhere you've been before, and that she knows. Tell them the itinerary, and call when you get back in range of cell coverage. From there expand into some overnighters. It comes down to knowing what you are comfortable with, both in skills, and in location. As I get older, I tend not to do the solo trips in remote wilderness areas like I did as a college kid. It's not so much that I distrust myself so much as it is that I've wisened up to knowing I'm not immune from things that can go wrong.

Including family in the planning can go a long way toward relieving stress. It would be a great learning experience for your son to see how a trip is planned. Solo trips aren't about just "running off". They're more about getting to see places that you can't get to with the people you know due to one reason or another.

If your wife is anti-outdoors...well then that adds to the challenge.

Hammock
    SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Gnarwhal Hex 12x9
    Insulation
    SLD UQ & KAQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    That's a mixed bag for sure. At the ripe old age of nearly 58 to go solo and give my wife a little more peace of mind ... I've started carrying a ACR ResQLink PLB. That actually does give her a little more peace of mind that if I got into trouble I could trip the beacon and get help even in the remotest parts of Linville Gorge. Since there is limited to no cell signal in there ... that's the trade off in my family. She does have confidence that I've been doing this long enough that I can do it safely ... but stuff happens. She's a lot happier when I'm with my friends and fellow Gorge Rats though. Me too actually but I still like the occasional solo excursion!

Of course I still kid her that the PLB is just so she can locate the body for insurance purposes!
    Like Hawkeye said!
    I THOUGHT GETTING OLDER WOULD TAKE MUCH LONGER.

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    The main thing I do is always tell the girlfriend my itinerary. Regardless of some of the bad things that have happened while leaving the outdoors the lady understands I love it in the outdoors.

Also, it's way more dangerous getting in the car everyday than hiking in the woods.

Fronkey

Hammock
    DIY(s)
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Just tell her you're bringing your hammock buddy!

Seriously though, leave behind a detailed itinerary at the very least. If she is really worried you could think about a SPOT or other location device, or stay in areas where you still have cell service.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    The main thing I do is always tell the girlfriend my itinerary. Regardless of some of the bad things that have happened while leaving the outdoors the lady understands I love it in the outdoors.

Also, it's way more dangerous getting in the car everyday than hiking in the woods.

Fronkey
    I agree 100%

Obviously it is generally safer to go with a buddy (although that depends on the buddy ) but there is no reason you can't solo responsibly and it is actually one of the best things you could teach your son how to not be afraid of the world around him while responsibly preparing for those risks. You can plan (learn most or all of the potential dangers and how to minimize the risks), prepare (learning what to do and having the right equipment), implement all of that planning, and then have fun knowing that you are probably safer than when you got in your car (as Fronkey mentions). You also need to convince your wife that it is safe too (as a previous poster mentioned) so going slowly is a good idea.

I walk around in the woods all the time by myself as part of my job and when "city folks" hear about what I do they frequently ask if it doesn't scare me. I'm actually the opposite because I know what to expect in the woods and I can behave accordingly. When I'm in a big city I am always a bit nervous because there is just so much random stuff that can happen there that you can't ever prepare for that it always just makes me a little bit on edge (just a tiny bit but rarely notice it).

In the end it is up to you though (HYOH)

Dave
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    I agree with the PLB. Made my family and friends feel better (as long as you don't mention the possibility that you will be too injured to use it).

Starting with day hikes or overnighters is also a good idea.

Maybe even a wilderness first aid course.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    A keg said, some kind of wilderness first aid course or even just a wilderness course can go a long way towards giving your family some piece of mind. An emergency communication device is good as Hawk suggested and as others have said short familiar locations can help break your family in as well. My wife knows my abilities and she knows that I know my limitations so I won't do anything foolish.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast