Doublenest.
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    New River UQ
    Suspension
    slings and toggles

retasking a tarp

I am wanting to use a general use tarp for my hammock so that I can play with ground tarp configurations. I was curious what y'all thought about this. I am thinking of getting a bigger tarp that I can configure in a hex patern for general hanging and pop out some doors on it when I feel like it. Most of the four season tarps I hae seen are either 10x11 or 10x12. But allot of hex tarps are somewhat smaller than that and 10x10 seems to be an ideal ground tarp size and shape. So I am deliberating between a 10x10 or a 10x12 tarp. Do I need the extra two feet and the rectangular shape to pull off the doors on the winter tarp, or will a 10x10 work just as well? I'm also looking at color. Black or navy would be best for my home here in texas but I'm wondering if purple would work just as well....I like purple.

Hammock
    SGT Rock Ghost clone
    Tarp
    DIY 9' rectangle
    Insulation
    NoSniv, 3/4 HG 20*
    Suspension
    UCRs/Straps
    Images
    10x10 is probably going to be too small primarily for the ridgeline portion to ensure enough coverage. I know that 10x12 for ground use is going to be more like a cabin than a tarp but if you have to be on the ground you might as well be able to spread out. I have seen in many places on HF that you want no less than about 10" of coverage beyond the end of your hammock in either direction.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY Tyvek Edge
    Insulation
    LeighLo FL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MrClockWork View Post
    10x10 is probably going to be too small primarily for the ridgeline portion to ensure enough coverage. I know that 10x12 for ground use is going to be more like a cabin than a tarp but if you have to be on the ground you might as well be able to spread out. I have seen in many places on HF that you want no less than about 10" of coverage beyond the end of your hammock in either direction.
    I don't think that you need anything past 10' for a ridgeline, depending on the length of your hammock. In fact, I just shortened my tarp today (it is tyvek, so I can just cut it shorter) to 115". My tarp is meant to be hung right on top of the hammock if I expect rain. The closer you pitch it to the hammock, the less length you need on the ends (and the sides for that matter).

I think you could do a 10x10 and be fine if you wanted to pitch it as a square in windy or rainy weather and try to close down the doors. You'd also have the option to going with a diamond setup and have tons or room on the ends.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY Tyvek Edge
    Insulation
    LeighLo FL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Go with whatever color you want. Many tents are gawdy, neon colors. Why not show what ya got?

Hammock
    Doublenest.
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    New River UQ
    Suspension
    slings and toggles
    What if I am trying to hang more than one hammock under the tarp would a ten by ten still work? I really do like the idea of being able to hang the tarp diamond ways, though how much different is a diamond configuration vs an asym when dealing with tarps that size? I would love it if I could hang me and my crew under a 10X10.

as far as colors I have no reservations about choosing colors I like. I have a hot pink Underquilt by the by. However I care more about functionality than I do style. I live in texas and hiding from the sun can be a big deal. I have a dark tarp now and I like how it makes more shade than my grey gunnison does. I want a dark tarp Im just wondering if any one knows if purple will block light as well as green or navy or something like that. if it will I am SO pimp purple tarp bound.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    I wouldn't try to get more than 2 hammocks under a 10x10 tarp. You start to loose that valuable side coverage. If you want the smallest possible square tarp get a 7x7 and hang it as a diamond for the hammock and square for ground use. That will give you a 9.9 ft ridgeline that should cover your Nano with a little wiggle room.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    WL TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Go with whatever color you like. I think you should be able to be expressive with your gear. I bet 10x10 would suit your needs, but you could try different configurations by sewing some Walmart bed sheets together in either size. Should be able to make a demo for under 10 dollars. Just a thought.

Hammock
    DH 11' Freebird
    Tarp
    Kelty 9x9
    Insulation
    DIY Poncho/GoLite
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle Strap
    Images
    I use a square kelty 9x9 and it's plenty big to offer element protection and large enough to go tho the ground
    ~Adventure Before Dementia~

Hammock
    Doublenest.
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    New River UQ
    Suspension
    slings and toggles
    yea but can you put a 9 by 9 into a four season configuration?

• + New Posts