Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Using your Clark on the ground

Question for all you clark hammock experts. I plan on buying either the NA or NX-200 in the near future. I do a lot of camping here in AZ and over the last year I have noticed that about 1/4 of the time (while in the desert) there are either no trees to hang from or very questionable trees. The clark website said you can set this up on the ground like a tent. I'm wondering if any of you have tried this and how well does it work. It seems to me as long as you take hiking poles or can find something to hold up the fly it would work. I would also think you would want to set it up on top of a tarp or something that would protect the fabric from the ground.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Straps dutch-clips
    I haven't slept in mine that way, but . . . I did set it up that way, just to check it out.

You've pretty much got the idea down. Lay it out on some ground cover (tarp, footprint, etc.) and use some sticks or poles to elevate the bug net tie-outs (thought that wouldn't be necessary I suppose). Use those same sticks or poles for your rain tarp. You could also use some extra stakes to stake out the bottom of the hammock using those little side pull-outs if you wanted.

Sorry I don't have much info for ya. But . . . I still haven't had to sleep in it like this. I think the biggest problem I'll have is if I have to go to ground AND I need the rain tarp. My tarp is much bigger than stock. That low to the ground, the sides would be pulled WAYYYYYyy out.

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RAW View Post
    I haven't slept in mine that way, but . . . I did set it up that way, just to check it out.

You've pretty much got the idea down. Lay it out on some ground cover (tarp, footprint, etc.) and use some sticks or poles to elevate the bug net tie-outs (thought that wouldn't be necessary I suppose). Use those same sticks or poles for your rain tarp. You could also use some extra stakes to stake out the bottom of the hammock using those little side pull-outs if you wanted.

Sorry I don't have much info for ya. But . . . I still haven't had to sleep in it like this. I think the biggest problem I'll have is if I have to go to ground AND I need the rain tarp. My tarp is much bigger than stock. That low to the ground, the sides would be pulled WAYYYYYyy out.
    It works just fine like that just make sure you put a footprint down first. and use your hikeing sticks to hold up the rain fly and bug net and weather sheild. you will also want to shepards hooks to tie out the little straps that Raw was talking about also. I have set mine up like that a couple of times but I must say I hated it. woke up very sore the next couple of morning's.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    I hope I never have to resort to going back to ground. That said, it's an option that I haven't even explored, because I hate the idea and I don't have an issue anywhere I've been finding trees. I'd use my bumper on my car or truck and a fence post if I had to b4 I'd go back to ground!

I envy AND pity you for being down in the desert, without the comfort of the rustling leaves of giant oaks and maples, birch or ash.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post

I envy AND pity you for being down in the desert, without the comfort of the rustling leaves of giant oaks and maples, birch or ash.
    Yeah AZ has the good, bad and ugly parts. I originally didnt think I would be able to use a hammock but after heading a few hours north I found trees galore and that has got me back into to researching which type I want. I originally thought the HH but after seeing the Clark I think I will go with that. Just a good looking hammock that looks practical as well. Yeah I can see not wanting to go back to the ground after getting a hammock but for me to spend that type of money (to expensive to get a tent and hammock) I need to make sure it would provide a good shelter on the ground for when I'm in the desert without a tree in sight. To me it would seem like a hammock on the ground is basically the same as a light weight backpacking tent. I would hate to ask anyone to try this for me (hint, hint) to see how it would work out. Thanks for all the comments so far

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    I'd use my bumper on my car or truck and a fence post if I had to b4 I'd go back to ground

I did that in a hotel in Texas for three day's until they told me to take it down my truck sit's high in the tail end so it worked out great you should have seen the faces of the cleaning lady's and others when I was out there it's sad to say I slept better in it than in the hotel that I was paying for for a month.

• + New Posts