DangerBird Clark North American
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Buckles/Link

General bridge hammock spreader bar question

The more I look at the wonders that are bridge hammocks I am being more and more drawn towards trying one out. I'm curious though, aside from using ones trekking poles is there a good light weight and compacting option available to use for spreader bars?

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    I've made a lot of bridge hammocks, and with almost all of them I use Easton aluminum poles I get from questoutfitters.com

oh yeah, you said "lightweight." Hmm.

BER has done some experimenting with carbon fiber poles that are something like half the weight of the aluminum ones. I bought some of that to try out one of these days, but haven't yet. In the most straightforward approach you have a one-piece spreader bar, whereas with the Easton's they break down into two pieces, easier to pack. Someone (BER?, egrant5392?) tried making a two-piece set-up with his carbon poles, but haven't heard just how that worked out.

Finally, I think you can purchase replacement poles from JRB for the BMBH. These are lighter than the Easton's, but also narrower---30" vs. 36".
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 02-11-2012 at 23:01.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

TeeDee and others are using bamboo, although some means to keep it from splitting is needed.

My current solution is carbon fiber in the form of the "Big Stiik" from Luxurylite.com
    I am able to use the single carbon fiber staff in place of two trekking poles, and in place of two spreader bars for my bridge hammock. The effective spread that I get is 32" at the head end and 20" at the foot end.

The Big Stik weighs 9.1 ounces configured with a wrist strap that is attached by prussik knot. Very solid as a spreader bar system, but I had to make webbing pockets attached to the suspension triangles to hold the ends in order to use them as spreader bars. This is not lighter than the Easton poles or the JRB poles, unless you consider that it is replacing the trekking poles too. The hiking staff is really stout and I prefer it to my previous trekking pole arrangement. It was expensive though. I feel it has been worth it to me, because I love the durability of the multi-use aspects of this piece of kit!

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Also check this site out might find something there
    http://www.goodwinds.com/

i was thinking of using CF poles from them for my bridge just have not gotten to it yet
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dblhmmck View Post
    TeeDee and others are using bamboo, although some means to keep it from splitting is needed.

My current solution is carbon fiber in the form of the "Big Stiik" from Luxurylite.com
    I am able to use the single carbon fiber staff in place of two trekking poles, and in place of two spreader bars for my bridge hammock. The effective spread that I get is 32" at the head end and 20" at the foot end.

The Big Stik weighs 9.1 ounces configured with a wrist strap that is attached by prussik knot. Very solid as a spreader bar system, but I had to make webbing pockets attached to the suspension triangles to hold the ends in order to use them as spreader bars. This is not lighter than the Easton poles or the JRB poles, unless you consider that it is replacing the trekking poles too. The hiking staff is really stout and I prefer it to my previous trekking pole arrangement. It was expensive though. I feel it has been worth it to me, because I love the durability of the multi-use aspects of this piece of kit!
    I've eyeballed the Big Stik for use this way....glad to hear it is working out.

I'm working on a hammock right now that uses the Gossamer Gear LT4 Trekking poles---a pair weighs 7.2 oz (but the weight goes up a little because it is necessary to include 3-4 inches of dowel rod up through the handle). I get a spread of about 36" that way.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

• + New Posts