OES Sil MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY Karo TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyHiker View Post
    +1

I added draft a draft tube to my 3/4 UQ (on the foot end only, it seals well enough around my shoulders) and it addressed the air leakage I was experiencing that was causing me CBS. The gaps that were there (while not huge) allowed cold air to leak in and pool at the lowest point of the hammock (guess where ). After ensuring a good seal, I haven't experienced any more issues.
    Do you have some pictures of said Draft Tube?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by coldstealie View Post
    From what I understand it dropped down to 6 with the wind (which was horrible), but it was 10 below that night at Bly Gap on the AT. I usually bring one small blue pad square with me, but since I knew it was going to be that cold I brought 2. I used them both that night (one under my butt and one under my legs) and wrapped my fleece around my waste so the back would give a little extra coverage on my butt. I did have my poncho liner with me but I hung it over my ridge line with some bulldog clips and made a cocoon with it so it hung over both sides of my traveler equally. The reason I did that is because the wind was blowing sleet straight at me so I needed an extra barrier, and it also did help keep in some body heat. Surprisingly I was able to stay warm during the night, but with the weather that cold it can't be perfect.
    Excellent make do skills demonstrated to get you by at WAY colder than your UQ is rated for! Still also speaks highly of Paul's CS quilt design!

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    We can't have it both ways with UQ's on rails. We can't have the fore-aft adjustability of the UQ and have the ends or sides of the top of the UQ pulled up taut against the bottom of the hammock unless the UQ has some intrinsic longitudinal stiffness or resistance to sag and folding. Shorter, more stuffed, and synthetic sheet-filled UQ's may all have that resistance to sag or folding. Think WB Yeti.

If we want to keep rails, and taut, then either we
    we
    • pull up with another loop from one side to another, as Shug does,
    • pull up with interim short elastic cords attached around the middle of the hammock sides, OR
    • we need another pair of elastic cords pulling the UQ itself outward -- and by weak translation of forces -- upward.

Yes, you can make the elastic in the rails very tight, so tight as often recommended here that the hmmk is lifted up. My experience with that approach is that it squeezes the hammock narrow, as it must--the statics are easy to calculate, and it makes the hmmk painful to try to sit on.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG/JRB
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Excellent make do skills demonstrated to get you by at WAY colder than your UQ is rated for! Still also speaks highly of Paul's CS quilt design!
    Paul makes quality gear. Walmart Blue pads are one of the best things any backpacker could own, they saved my *** that night! (Literally!)

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    We can't have it both ways with UQ's on rails. We can't have the fore-aft adjustability of the UQ and have the ends or sides of the top of the UQ pulled up taut against the bottom of the hammock unless the UQ has some intrinsic longitudinal stiffness or resistance to sag and folding. ...
    Side channels made from a relatively stiff grosgrain (such as an HG Incubator) does this very well.

Hammock
    Byer of Maine Moskito
    Tarp
    Chinook 12" x 9'6"
    Insulation
    Zeppelin 20° UQ
    Suspension
    web cinch buckle
    Images
    Everyone, thanks for all your tips and advice. I think I will get me couple of those thermometers. As for the CBS, I am hopeful that it's just a matter of closing the gaps of my UQ. After all, as I said, I was totally warm everywhere except the low hanging bits of me. Shug's lifter was what I was thinking about. The Zeppelin has loops already, I am going to try some shock cord and some mini biners I already have and try hooking the up to my ridge line.
    "Dyslexic knot unravellers of the world, UNITE!"

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Do you have some pictures of said Draft Tube?
    See page 2:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=40624

HTH
    Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345