Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images

Uwharrie Trail Maintenance Day

So I found about the Uwharrie Trail Club after almost 20 years of visiting the area. I had no clue it even existed, even though it's been around since the 70's. As soon as found out, I immediately bought a family membership, and my daughter and I participated in our first trail maintenance day last Saturday.

Tiv and I got up Saturday morning at 6am and had breakfast right around sunrise at a small restaurant here in town. After we fueled up on pancakes and coffee we made the 1 hour drive to the Jumping Off Rock trail head in Ophir. We met 13 other UTC members and 2 employees of the U.S. Forestry Service and attended a small safety meeting before signing waivers and agreeing to work under the direction of the forestry service.

Several people cut brush while others cut bigger logs out of trail and picked up trash. Tiv's job was painting new blazes on the trail on she loved every second of it. This maintenance day was focused on the Dark Mountain section of the trail and was only about 2 miles long. We finished up about 1 P.M. and headed home with a sense of accomplishment! We both had a blast.

I haven't told anyone in the club that I am hanger. I plan on slipping that in slowly. My plan is to set an example for us hangers and educate the people that haven't been exposed to it yet by showing them my gear and letting them know that are values are in alignment with LNT practices, even more so than most ground dwellers. Maybe i'll even convert a few. Anyway, if you visit the Uwharries and care about that area you should join the club. It's very cheap. PM me for details.

I am currently working on a website for the club with all of this information.

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    I have a few pics but it wont let me upload. Will try again in a second.

Hammock
    WarBonnet Blackbird 1.1
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Edge
    Insulation
    4 JRB quilts.
    Suspension
    Home made job.
    Good for you! I did mountain biking trail care for about three years. I used to head home with a sense of accomplishment too! It’s a good thing!

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl , WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    WL TQ , HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies / Dutch
    Images
    I hate I couldn't make it this time. Can't wait to give back to that trail!

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    thank you so much for helping to maintain those trails!! My Troop had a couple of scouts out there this past weekend too!! They were with a group of scouts that are going to Philmont this year. We use the Uwharrie Trails to help our boys get into shape. For some of them, this is the first time they've been on any trails that arent flat!!! They all come home talking about "that rock face" they had to climb on the Dutchman's Creek Trail!!

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    HG4seasonCFw/doors
    Insulation
    Hammock gear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Good on you!

Trail maintenance is an important and gracious way to keep our wilderness accessible and helps folks not make those awful looking short cuts that never heal.

THANK YOU!

Oh, and thank you for being an ambassador of the hammock camping niche.
    Jose Diaz

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post
    thank you so much for helping to maintain those trails!! My Troop had a couple of scouts out there this past weekend too!! They were with a group of scouts that are going to Philmont this year. We use the Uwharrie Trails to help our boys get into shape. For some of them, this is the first time they've been on any trails that arent flat!!! They all come home talking about "that rock face" they had to climb on the Dutchman's Creek Trail!!
    I saw a group of scouts crossing hwy 109 as I was leaving. They were headed south!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Another good way to get out into the woods. I always stop and chat with maintainers when I am hiking.....they often think I am nuts for being out alone. Think I kinda scare 'em.
    Good on ya'....
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Trek Light Single
    Tarp
    JRB Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Kat TQ/HR BQ

The Ninja sword

Anybody find the Ninja sword?

I was up there camping a couple of weeks ago about 1 mile or so just past the last creek crossing in the first valley up the 24/27 Trail Head on the Uwharrie Trail.

Picked an old fire ring about 50 yards off the trail. While rumpling around the fallen leaves by the fire ring I found one of those cheap Ninja swords under some small branches. Took it out to the trail and stuck in in the ground just to see what happened to it.

Went back to my site and saw a small scout group and a couple go by. The next morning the sword was still there.

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AKA Pete View Post
    Anybody find the Ninja sword?

I was up there camping a couple of weeks ago about 1 mile or so just past the last creek crossing in the first valley up the 24/27 Trail Head on the Uwharrie Trail.

Picked an old fire ring about 50 yards off the trail. While rumpling around the fallen leaves by the fire ring I found one of those cheap Ninja swords under some small branches. Took it out to the trail and stuck in in the ground just to see what happened to it.

Went back to my site and saw a small scout group and a couple go by. The next morning the sword was still there.
    I didn't find the sword that would have been funny. We were all the way at the northern end of the trail. Anywhere there is a road crossing or access to the trail you find more trash, etc about .5 mile on either side of the trail.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast