Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ridge of material down center of hammock

I have been hammocking for awhile now but never seem to be able to get my hammock set up just right.

My problem is that I have this ridge of very tight material that runs down the center of the hammock so that when I am laying that material runs under my knees and is uncomfortable. I cannot figure out what is causing this.
    Does this mean I am hanging the hammock with too much sag?
    Too little sag?
    Something else all together?

I have recently started using a ridgeline so that I can hang the hammock consistently, so once I get it dialed in I should be able to hang the hammock consistently.

Thanks for any tips

I should have included that this is a DIY gathered end hammock with "stretchy" sides.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Hey SS! What you're talking about is a common bugaboo among hammockers. Here's just one recent thread on the topic: leg ridge

I cannot understand why, but I get a ridge if there is TOO MUCH sag in the hammock. I know it doesn't make any sense, but that has been my experience. Anyway, definitely fiddle with your adjustable ridge line and you'll find a nice flat lay pretty quickly. Make small changes in your ridge line--an inch makes a big difference in the way the hammock feels. You'll find it. Once you do, keep it there! At least, mark your adjustable ridge line with a permanent marker or a piece of tape so you can adjust it out of curiosity. But the mark will always let you get back to the most comfortable position. Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Sometimes I'll get into my BlackBird and have that ridge line that you're talking about. For my hammock, that means I've set it up wrong. I usually only need to adjust one side or the other, tree strap, either higher or lower on the tree. What I'm looking for is to see the suspension ropes/straps to be at about a 30 degree line with the tree. I've also found that if I'm having to use trees that are a bit closer than I like, that I have a harder time getting my hammock just right. I've started looking for trees that are just a bit further apart than I used to pick.

I noticed that you have a DIY hammock. I haven't made a hammock so I don't know if there's a special way you're supposed to get the ends together that would cause more or less of a ridge problem inside the hammock. Hopefully some of the DIY people will help you there.

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    Make small changes in your ridge line--an inch makes a big difference in the way the hammock feels.
    Great advice Pipsissewa. As with all things preferences differ but taking the time to dial it in will yield the best comfort for you. Pics of your setup might help us in helping you as well.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    when you have TOO much sag, there is only going to be a narrow area that your body will put most of the pressure onto, causing the sides to be a bit floppier than normal and, you guessed it, creating a tight strip of fabric running down the hammock.

fiddling with the hammock is one of the joys of ownership. kinda like having a kickstart harley, only you know the correct combination of stuff to do to get it to start, so with the hammock in only you will be able to make it comfortable for you
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Thanks guys... sounds like I should start by increasing the length of my ridgeline, reducing the sag, and see how that affects the hammock lay.

Does anyone know how the hammock end style (gather vs channel) affects the lay?
    My previous hammock was a ENO Double Nest which has a channel and I do not recall having the ridge of material, maybe it was there and I just did not notice.

This time of year I really wish I had a hammock stand so I could test my gear inside while waiting for better weather. (In PA).

Hammock
    diy hammock
    Tarp
    diy 10x10
    Insulation
    homemade UQ w/sock
    Suspension
    rings and webbing
    i know that for my diy, i had to whip and re-whip my hammock at least a dozen times. each time i thought i had it dialed in, but then i'd find issues with lay. the center ridge is common, try playing with your whipping some in conjunction with your ridge line length.

Hammock
    diy hammock
    Tarp
    diy 10x10
    Insulation
    homemade UQ w/sock
    Suspension
    rings and webbing

Images
    Oh Me, here we go again! SamS, along with having trouble getting expected warmth with some UQs, this has to be about the #1 reported problem with non-bridge hammocks. I won't give any tips, because you will get plenty from other experienced users plus referral to one of MANY other threads on this subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    Hey SS! What you're talking about is a common bugaboo among hammockers. Here's just one recent thread on the topic: leg ridge

I cannot understand why, but I get a ridge if there is TOO MUCH sag in the hammock. I know it doesn't make any sense, but that has been my experience. ..............
    Actually, though many report success with shorter RLs(more sag), your thought makes some sense to me. It just seems that a tighter hammock tends towards being flatter, less banana. Some times it just seems to have less center ridge. But, as you hang it tighter, at some point you increase shoulder squeeze.

Conversely, the non-bridge hammock coming closest to NO ridge NEARLY always is the HH Safari. It is also the hammock with the most sag under the RL and most length.

Finally, a bridge hammock- while having some drawbacks of it's own, kicks butt in the LACK OF center ridge, calf or knee pain/hyperextension category. Never a problem for me. While at the same time solving most UQ fit issues, which basically don't exist in my experience so far. In this area (lack of leg issues) there is none which really threaten a bridges dominance, though some come pretty close.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast