WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

question about whipping methods

Hey guys, I'm making a new hammock and am trying several methods of whipping the ends. I like the way knotty does it (warbonnet whip with an end channel) On the other hand, I really like the "w" whip that just jeff uses--and the way you can modify it by pulling the edges up . So, my question is, can you use knottys whip, and still have the adjustability of just jeffs w whip? Any other methods you would recommend?
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    You could do one end like Knotty's and the other with JJ's whip. I've tried several different combinations and still re-whip after what I thought was comfortable.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    NCAA
    Either works fine. Just Jeff's is best for pulling the long ends out. For a sewn channel, I just run some zing it thru the channel, pull it tight and tie off with a square knot. I dont worry about doing any wraps. Then just larkshead the whoopie above the ball created by doing this. Basically warbonnet style, but with no wraps, kinda like cinching up a stuff sack. I find the wraps to be unneccesary.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    Hey guys, I'm making a new hammock and am trying several methods of whipping the ends. I like the way knotty does it (warbonnet whip with an end channel) On the other hand, I really like the "w" whip that just jeff uses--and the way you can modify it by pulling the edges up . So, my question is, can you use knottys whip, and still have the adjustability of just jeffs w whip? Any other methods you would recommend?
    I've wondered about sewing the end channel on a slight arc, so that the edges are just slightly shorter. It should be liking pulling the edges up in the "W" whipped end.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    ...So, my question is, can you use knottys whip, and still have the adjustability of just jeffs w whip? Any other methods you would recommend?
    If you run a cord through the end channel to gather it as in the Knotty video, you can't really do any adjusting on that end.

I usually sew an end channel into my hammocks which gives me the choice of gathering "Knotty's" way, running the suspension through the channel to gather the end or just gathering by hand and whipping.

I usually end up gathering and whipping. I've tried various folds, but normally just fold the end in half, grab the fold with one hand and gather it all up. After testing, I will pull any corners required to get the lay I want.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Thanks for the advice !
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    DIY green gathered end.
    Tarp
    12x10 blue tarp.
    Insulation
    DIY 25* Peapod
    Suspension
    JRB triglide
    I tried the fold and gather and pulling the long sides but now I'm using the Joemcc style. I just grab one side and gather all the way to the other. Can still pull long sides. Seems to work well for me but in the end you really need to try different styles yourself.

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    The most comfortable hammock I've made has the Headchanger "tubular, top down fold towards the center" method.

I recently made another with an end channel and it hasn't been as easy to get the diagonal, flat lay thing going on. That may have something to due with my big butt throwing off the geometry of what's considered normal though.

I have since took that hammock and tried to blend the Headchanger tubular roll with Jeff's "W" fold techniques. The whipping seems solid, but the field test is this weekend.

Has anybody else tried this merging of techniques? If so, am I headed for a good sleep or epic cold butt slam this weekend?
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    DIY Easy Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Stuff
    Suspension
    Dyneema and a knot
    I like the Knotty method with stretch side mod, cause you can take up the slack with the side shock cords.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    +1 on the stretch side mod. Keeps things from falling out!
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast