Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Awesome results OutandBack, looks like you are gettin it dialed in!

Out of curiosity do you know what your CO & CO2 readings were at the 3 levels (ground, hammock and tarp ridgeline)?
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    DIY, BB, Snipe
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutch n whoops
    Images
    Wow! Impressive. A little bit of Florida in February Denver! I love the stove, too. Thanks for all the details. Looking forward to your updates.

Home Run

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    Awesome results OutandBack, looks like you are gettin it dialed in!

Out of curiosity do you know what your CO & CO2 readings were at the 3 levels (ground, hammock and tarp ridgeline)?
    My Carbon Monoxide CO Detectors does not have a digital readout just an alarm.
    I had it hanging from my tarp ridgeline about 18" off the ground in the center of the tarped area. I did move it around every now and then just to see if I could get an alarm. I even sat it about a foot away from the stove for about 1/2 an hour, which the manual says don't do. nothing.

I tried to seal up the tarp as best I could, I could still feel air movement on my bare skin. In the peaks of the tarp there were opening for the hammock lines. ~6" long by 1" wide and small gaps along the bottom of the tarp and Grizz beak.

Even though I had no alarm in over 12 hours of testing I would still not sleep when the stove is burning. My gut tells me this would not be safe.

Images
    Thanks to the Mod for moving this thread out of the Off topic donating section.

I wasn't sure if it had enough hammock content to justify posting in the main forum.

O&B

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    I love this. I often debate with myself over hot tarp vs. more loft. I've slept in an old run down wood cabin with an even older more run down wood stove. Was I concerned that the place would burn down around me while I slept, maybe a little at first. Once you get it all dialed in I think you'll feel more confident sleeping while the stove burns.

I'd like to make a suggestion...

A) Use a piece of flashing bbehind the stove to reflect more heat into the tarp.

B) Rebuild the grizzbeak with reflective coated nylon to really trap that radient heat inside.

I have often pontificated about making a special tarp just for this maybe with the reflective nylon outside & a layer of 100g Thinsulate inside (perhaps IX but it melts pretty easily) I think that would hold the heat in better; overnight would be the goal.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    Love it, looks great.

Toying with the idea too, and like AaronAlso mentioned it got me thinking about a combination of Mors Kochanski's super shelter, Four Dogs adaptation with a hammock and the reflective tarp on a frozen butt hang.

So one of the ideas is a reflective 'Superfly'/Winter Palace (HG) tarp size with possibly one (partial) Grizzbeak of polycotton corner to house the stove... That way it might still be portable enough with minimization of the risk of it burning/melting down....

Again just dreaming on. No time, money or DIY skills to have a serious go at it...

Love to see other create something like this though! Thanks.

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Very nice job. I have been thinking about one but it will be another year before I can play with it.

Flashing will work to help keep the wall cool, might be worth doing. Same principle as the double wall close clearance stoves for buildings.

I would think that with a low vent at the far end and the small vent plus the stove pipe at the other you have your bases well covered for CO or any other combustion byproducts.

In a Colorado Blizzard with the sides banked up a ways with snow and a wind break you may be very pleasantly surprised. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    My Carbon Monoxide CO Detectors does not have a digital readout just an alarm.
    I had it hanging from my tarp ridgeline about 18" off the ground in the center of the tarped area. I did move it around every now and then just to see if I could get an alarm. I even sat it about a foot away from the stove for about 1/2 an hour, which the manual says don't do. nothing.

I tried to seal up the tarp as best I could, I could still feel air movement on my bare skin. In the peaks of the tarp there were opening for the hammock lines. ~6" long by 1" wide and small gaps along the bottom of the tarp and Grizz beak.

Even though I had no alarm in over 12 hours of testing I would still not sleep when the stove is burning. My gut tells me this would not be safe.
    Gotcha thanks!!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronAlso View Post
    I love this. I often debate with myself over hot tarp vs. more loft. I've slept in an old run down wood cabin with an even older more run down wood stove. Was I concerned that the place would burn down around me while I slept, maybe a little at first. Once you get it all dialed in I think you'll feel more confident sleeping while the stove burns.

I'd like to make a suggestion...

A) Use a piece of flashing bbehind the stove to reflect more heat into the tarp.

B) Rebuild the grizzbeak with reflective coated nylon to really trap that radient heat inside.

I have often pontificated about making a special tarp just for this maybe with the reflective nylon outside & a layer of 100g Thinsulate inside (perhaps IX but it melts pretty easily) I think that would hold the heat in better; overnight would be the goal.
    WOW! Great ideas AA thanks so much for offering them up.
    I will give the flashing a try on the very next test.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Great job. I like some of Arson's suggestions as well as the space blanket reflector idea behind the stove although warm enough is enough..The briquettes idea is great especially when dry wood is hard to find. I have a similar idea on the drawing board but will probably have a canvas beak at the stove end. It might be worth having a dedicated tarp for when your using the stove, one that has sod cloth along the bottom,( extra material that lays on the ground that you cover with snow to eliminate drafts ). I think its a good call not to run the stove at night while asleep,,,,after all we have our down gear and one wants to be awake and alert when operating a stove in close quarters with nylon. Looks like your reaching your goal,,,that's great. Back to the woods in winter in comfort.

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast