Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/ Pad
    Images

Help with top cover

I just finished my first DIY hammock. I used hc4u's HH clone instructions and the hammock so far seems to have worked. I want to add a top cover of 1.1 ripstop, but I don't want it to be attached to the hammock body. This project is probably a lot easier than I am making it, but it has me stumped. Any ideas???
    "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
    - Yoda

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Whe i made my first top cover for my HH, Just just stretched the hammock out on the floor, laid a piece of fabric over the hammock and used a yard stick to draw an outline of he hammock, allowing about a 3" allowance on all side. I sewed a drawstring channel around 4 sides, leaving openings at the asym tie outs and the head and foot.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/ Pad
    Images
    Did you cut the drawstring, or was it one piece? How did you guy out the corners? I also picked up some plain locking buckles, like what is on a backpack. I had hoped to use them to aid in clipping the top cover...kinda keep it free from the hammock body and to aid in ventilation. Thanks for your help!
    - Yoda

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    The drawstring is all one piece and runs around the perimeter of the cover. You can see some pics of it installed on the hammock in my gallery. The corners don't guy out. They are open and the guy line goes around the hammock, at the side tie outs, and that's what hold it on.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Top covers make a huge diffrence in really cold weather. Be careful at those borederline temps of say 35 degrees or so. I woke up one morning and had water (condensation)
    all over me.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/ Pad
    Images
    I appreciate the help. I am going to start sewing and see what happens. The pics were very helpful. Thanks for all the help on this.
    - Yoda

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/ Pad
    Images
    I got it to work!!! I couldn't figure out the side guy out points, but I finally got them. Thanks for all the help!
    - Yoda

now you have to post pictures!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/ Pad
    Images
    I would have posted pics last night when I had finished, but it was too dark for the images to look right. I tried to stay true to HC4U's directions, but then I figured if it was a DIY project, I needed to do something myself.

The only place that I deviated to any extent is at the foot end of the cover. Here I sewed an opening that the supports could fit out, but kept the top cover from moving on that end. I put an ~6" stitch here and left a 2" opening.

I also tried, as evidenced in the pic, to cut an opening at the tie out points and then stitch around it to keep the material from tearing. That did not work, so I reverted to HC4U's design. I cut slits on the sides and fed out some line. I then ran the tie outs from the tent through the loops (ties from the hammock are blue, the line in the top cover is pink-all Lowes had) If some one, or if you could help me HC4U, can tell me if that is the right way to do the tie lines, I would appreciate it, I'm still not sure of.

I also tied the top cover's lines to the "tree", a post I put in the ground, instead of the biners. I found that this helped keep the top cover with the shape of the hammock.

That brings me to my one REALLY frustrating point: Before getting into the hammock, the top cover and the hammock stay together. When I get into the hammock, they seperate (which I expected), but they leave a huge gap. I'm guessing, but I would say between three to six inches depending on how I am laying. If some one could PLEASE help me solve this.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - Yoda

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
    I also tried, as evidenced in the pic, to cut an opening at the tie out points and then stitch around it to keep the material from tearing. That did not work, so I reverted to HC4U's design. I cut slits on the sides and fed out some line. I then ran the tie outs from the tent through the loops (ties from the hammock are blue, the line in the top cover is pink-all Lowes had) If some one, or if you could help me HC4U, can tell me if that is the right way to do the tie lines, I would appreciate it, I'm still not sure of.
    The second method that you used is the way mine is setup.

www.meancatcoffee.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast