hot and rainy in HH, which tarp

85 and rainy during the day, low of 55 or so at night...

Stock HH tarp or 10x11 JRB? I'm leaning towards the stock since it's a lot lighter...

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I've been using a HH Explorer Ultralight for about 4 years. Although I have the Hex tarp in addition to the stock one, the only times I have been caught in the rain have been when I used the stock tarp and I have always been completely dry.

My suggestion is that if you are hiking, take the stock tarp, it should be fine. The only draw back is there doesn't seem to be much coverage if I am not actually in the hammock. If you are planning on spending time in camp and need a place to sit under cover, go with the JRB 10X12.

I would probably use my larger one more if I hadn't made the mistake of letting my wife use it. Now when we go together, she gets the Hex and I get the stock.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMJM View Post
    My suggestion is that if you are hiking, take the stock tarp, it should be fine. The only draw back is there doesn't seem to be much coverage if I am not actually in the hammock. If you are planning on spending time in camp and need a place to sit under cover, go with the JRB 10X12.

Ditto. This is what I do.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMJM View Post
    I've been using a HH Explorer Ultralight for about 4 years. Although I have the Hex tarp in addition to the stock one, the only times I have been caught in the rain have been when I used the stock tarp and I have always been completely dry.

I would probably use my larger one more if I hadn't made the mistake of letting my wife use it. Now when we go together, she gets the Hex and I get the stock.
    UncleMJM, HC, et al,

Lest we get folk confused, the JRB Cat Tarp is 11x10....Glad that ya'll like them.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

oops, of course Pan is right. 11x10. And yes, I like it a lot, but with the extra stakes and lines it's about a pound heavier. I'll take the advice to bring the stock tarp this time. It should be warm enough that I won't care about getting wet so long as I'm dry while I'm sleeping. I hope I don't regret not taking the big one.

I'll be relying on the JRB stealth on top and a JRB weather shield and an oware pad underneath to keep warm. The JRB NS (or nest maybe) is going on my wish list.

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    When it's hot, a bigger, rectangular tarp will keep you cooler because you can pitch it high and airy and still stay dry. With the stock tarp you have to pitch it low and tight which blocks any chance of breezes.

However, you aren't actually talking hot; 85 and 55 is pleasant fall weather. Use the stock tarp.

• + New Posts