Insulation
    WB Lynx / LL GP
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

HH Underpad

Quick question about the HH underpad:

http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/p...nt_underpad_1/

Could I get one of these, add it to the outside (under me) of my HH Expedition zip hammock and then put my JRB ORM UQ under (outside) it as a second layer of insulation for winter hanging? Is this overkill or ok? To start, I will be doing car winter hanging until I know what I like then backpack winter hang.

Any advice would be helpful.
    Nimbus37

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I don't know if anyone has tried it, but it sounds doable to me. You could even put the space blanket on top of the underpad (as recommended when using the HHSS setup overall), and then have the UQ underneath the SB and pad.

Let us know how it works if you try this. It's something I might consider as well...might be able to get a 3 season UQ and use it as a winter setup with this mod.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nimbus37 View Post
    Quick question about the HH underpad:

http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/p...nt_underpad_1/

Could I get one of these, add it to the outside (under me) of my HH Expedition zip hammock and then put my JRB ORM UQ under (outside) it as a second layer of insulation for winter hanging? Is this overkill or ok? To start, I will be doing car winter hanging until I know what I like then backpack winter hang.

Any advice would be helpful.
    Nimbus37
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    I don't know if anyone has tried it, but it sounds doable to me. You could even put the space blanket on top of the underpad (as recommended when using the HHSS setup overall), and then have the UQ underneath the SB and pad.

Let us know how it works if you try this. It's something I might consider as well...might be able to get a 3 season UQ and use it as a winter setup with this mod.
    Yeah, I guess it might work but at first I was wondering: why would you bother? But on further thought sense many of us can be warm at 40 or even 30F or colder tith the basic HHSS undercover, pad and space blanket, then maybe this would be a relatively cheap way to extend the ORM by a fair amount? I don't see why it wouldn't work, just like putting the ORM around the entire HHSS works.

If they don't chime in here soon, you might want to PM either NewtonGT or Blackout. I think they would have some good tips for you on using a HH pad or HHSS with a separate UQ.

Hammock
    HH Mod4
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Incubator20
    Suspension
    WS-DutchBuckle
    Adding a pad pocket to HH
    I've been wondering about the feasibility of adding a pad pocket to the HH since I have not been satisfied with using a pad inside of the hammock. I thought about a sturdy mesh layer around 28 or 29 inches wide running under the diagonal sleeping position would do the trick for a rectangular pad. It might be more practical, however, to make it trapezoidal to accommodate a pad wider at the shoulders like the new HH Radiant Double Bubble Pad. I pictured it open on both ends, held closed with velcro tabs.

What's the group thought on this?
    Velcro

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite SideZip
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Nest + SS
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I started out with the HH Expedition bottom entry with the 4 season SS/space blanket. Good down to -15C but a pain to get in and out of. Transitioned to the JRB 3 season Nest UQ. Sweet and no reason you couldn't use both together with two cautions.

Obviously be even more complicated to enter/exit the classic entrance.
    Ensure your UQ be placed OUTSIDE the SS SilNylon Undercover (if used it's waterproof) to prevent the UQ accumulating moisture.

Now owning the HH Hyperlite with Side Zip it would be fun/interesting to see how cold the combo would let you go.... (car camping anyways)

Good Luck and have fun.

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    when I got my HH, these were not available.
    I am curious now.

here I found:

New and improved UnderCover can be installed or removed without taking down the hammock. Waterproof, windproof SilNylon UnderCover creates a trapped airspace. Contoured open cell foam pad attaches between the layers. Use an emergency space blanket on top of UnderPad. System includes UnderCover and UnderPad. OverCover is a separate accessory. Note: Radiant Bubble Pad is not part of this system.
    http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/insulation/

and I see the SuperSystem 4 season only comes with and over cover and and undercover....but no underpads. It also stresses: Use an emergency space blanket on top of UnderPad. System includes UnderCover and UnderPad. OverCover is a separate accessory. Note: Radiant Bubble Pad is not part of this system.

interesting....

I wish they had tried and true test results and in which combinations. thank you Zorp for your feedback
    Last edited by Dos; 01-22-2012 at 09:26.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Thinlight pad
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by two isles View Post
    and I see the SuperSystem 4 season only comes with and over cover and and undercover....but no underpads. It also stresses: Use an emergency space blanket on top of UnderPad. System includes UnderCover and UnderPad. OverCover is a separate accessory. Note: Radiant Bubble Pad is not part of this system.
    I think you're misreading that. The SuperShelter 4 season comes with an undercover and an underpad. No overcover. And the underpad is the open cell pad, not the bubble pad. The overcover is a separate item, but can be used with the super shelter. I don't know how the radiant bubble pad would work with that system.

Hammock
    DangerBird 72
    Tarp
    Kelty 12' for now
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20°
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, DIY
    Quote Originally Posted by Velcro View Post
    Adding a pad pocket to HH
    I thought about a sturdy mesh layer around 28 or 29 inches wide running under the diagonal sleeping position would do the trick for a rectangular pad.
    Velcro
    I'd be really really worried about stitching to the surface that holds you up! You don't want to add any weakening or stress accumulators in case you fall through. I bought a cheapo hammock to sling under my Explorer and hold pads up to it. Still experimenting, but not willing to weaken what keeps me from meeting the ground suddenly.

My DIY hammock is dual layer and I would try that on the bottom layer since it is there to hold pads not my weight.

Just my two cents, but I'm really new to all this.

Under cover

I have a Hennessey expedition with the bottom entry and I purchased their under hammock insulating system. It works well and with the addition of a space blanket on colder nights it is even more effective. I purchased a Gossamer gear 1/4 in evasote closed foam pad, which is 39in wide and 6 ft long. ($30) I trimmed a bit of the pad off at the foot for easier access into hammock. I add it under the open cell hennessey and space blanket and have no sensation of cold at all. The coldest night in it was 30 degrees so I can't tell it's limits. A seperate under quilt would not hurt at all as long as you can still enter the hammock without to much difficulty and can stand the cost. I suppose it would be like using a sleeping bag within a bag on the top of the hammock.

Hammock
    Hennessy Ultralite Explorer
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex
    Insulation
    depends
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I am late to this conversation but AMEN!!!! on adding a pad sleeve.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast