Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images

2.8 oz. solid weave material revisited

My neighbor, who has never used a hammock before, talked me into giving him my 2.8 solid weave hammock I built in this thread -http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45545. We rode over to the nearest park and I showed him how to hang "in the wild" as he puts it.
    He really likes how secure the thick fabric makes him feel. He's bigger than I am (couple inches taller about 250). I'm still liking this material.

You can see just how little it stretches in the pics. Now I have to get him to sign up here at Hammock Forums.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    DIY (BASHIN)
    Tarp
    DIY 'winter' tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Images
    Thanks for the review. I saw this fabric and have been considering trying it out. I find that more stretch = less comfort. This looks like it would be just great. A little lighter than a 3.4 supplex, still plenty firm.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Your welcome, Merganser. It makes for a supper flat lay. I especially like how much easier the thicker fabric is to sew compared to 1.1 and 1.9. I just made another hammock in 1.9 and there's only a 5.8 oz difference in total weight from the 2.8. Not a lot, but more than some would like.
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    DIY (BASHIN)
    Tarp
    DIY 'winter' tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Images
    I've sewn with 1.1, 1.9 (separately and together) two ply (3.4oz) supplex and 200D DWR oxford. Thicker is easier, no question. Suplex had a better hand than all the others and was not as slippery. The oxford wasn't bad either though.

My 1.9/1.1 DL totals 3.0 + DWR, pretty close to the 2 ply and oxford by weight but I think it has just a bit more stretch. I like the thicker fabrics fabrics because they don't stretch. I don't care about a couple extra oz when comfort is at stake.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Merganser View Post
    My 1.9/1.1 DL totals 3.0 + DWR, pretty close to the 2 ply and oxford by weight but I think it has just a bit more stretch. I like the thicker fabrics fabrics because they don't stretch. I don't care about a couple extra oz when comfort is at stake.
    Yes - my work with 1.1 is pretty dismal. I usually get some pucker with the thin stuff although I've learned to keep the material "taut" which helps. Not bashing the ultralighters, I would rather be more comfortable in a heavier fabric weight - could be because I'm a heavier guy!

Underquilts.com

• + New Posts