DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Largest weight savings: swap the hex tarp for cuben tarp. Hammock Gear makes an hex tarp for $235.00.

Cheapest weight savings: swap the standard cordage for Whoopie Slings. Redden Marine sells Amsteel Blue in 7/64" for $0.21/foot.

Other stuff that's possible: swapping the tarp for a lighter silnylon or spinnaker one (usually in the $100-$200 range), swapping out the ridgeline for lighter cord (usually in the $1.50 to $3.00 range), changing from the stock snake skins to either a Blackbishop bag (depends on the bag, anywhere from $1.00 if DIY to ~$30 for an high-end waterproof bag) or nothing at all (free!), and swapping out the tie-outs for lighter shock cord (under $5.00).

Hope it helps!

Hammock
    HH Asym Side Zip
    Tarp
    Siltarp II/HH Hex
    Insulation
    Window reflector
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    +1 Agreed with this! You can also choose to go with thinner/lighter tree straps when you make this change.

Now me personally...I love the HH hex tarp. But, for some it's a heavy critter. So your next possible solution would be to go with a lighter and/or smaller tarp. Something done from silnylon or even cuben if you can afford them.

But cheapest/easiest first step would be to modify your suspension system.
    +1 on all this. Already upgraded to whoopie slings on mine and am thinking of ditching the hex tarp, though I love the design of it the pack size and weight are just too much for me. Plus I already have a Siltarp II that packs down to 1/3 of the size. I also gave up on the snakeskins, despite how neat they are I actually found they made it so the hammock took up double the space in my pack vs just stuffing it all into a stuff sack. Those were only silnylon so weight savings is negligable but the pack space is always a big issue for me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123