My Venturer Scouts (14 - 18 yr. old) all hammock and refuse to go to ground!!! When we go to large events and Jamborees we are assigned to camp in a field. We have Turtle Lady Bamboo Hammock stand that work well for sleeping but draw a lot of attention and visitors. We tried using the stands individually and in pods of three. They worked well but every one wanted to try them and the crowd of teens couldn't get out of the weather and caused problems.

Our solution was a Geodesic Dome. It will be a frequency 2 dome built out of 65 metal struts. Our dome will be 11ft tall and 22ft diameter. A f2 dome has 2 strut lengths, the struts are being made of 1 5/8" thin wall chain link fence posts, 35 at 6'6" and 30 5'9". The post ends are flattened, 3/8 holes drilled and an 18 deg. bend. These struts will be bolted together forming triangles.

Our dome will have enough room to hang 10 hammocks around the perimeter. The hammocks will be hung from the hubs where the struts are bolted together. This will leave us about 18 ft usable space in the centre of the dome. Our custom cover will complete the dome and give us a dry spacious area to cook and entertain.

I have held off posting about our dome because I don't have pictures yet. All the materials are in my yard now so I will be able to post progress photos as we do the build.