Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast
    Images
    Tricky to patent a single piece of metal.

The ChiCloneAliens I bought
    Aluminium
    $0.63 each
    Size: 1.89 x 1.10 x 0.09" (48 x 28 x 2.5mm)
    Weight: 3.4g (0.12oz)
    tested to failure at 128kg (282lb)

Stainless Steel
    $0.72 each
    Size: 1.89 x 1.10 x 0.09" (48 x 28 x 2.5mm)
    Weight: 12.5g (0.44oz)
    tested to 450kg (992lb) [no failure, will do failure test soon]

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    DIY Tyvek
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    Ever evolving SLS
    Thanks, Gadget. That actually helps a lot. Been looking at the LoopAliens to replace the few Figure 9s I have rattling around in my gear. I don't like the teeth.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    DIY Tyvek
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    Ever evolving SLS
    Ok, so the ever-evolving nature of my SLS is a study in punctuated equilibrium: long periods of stability followed by short bursts of frenetic tinkering followed by stability again. I separated my tarpans hammock suspensions then put them back together again. I now have a continuous ridgeline SLS for both hammock and tarp. The tarp is fixed in position over the hammock with a prusik at one end so I can adjust it as I slide the rig left or right to center it between the trees. The adjustable end of the hammock gets tightened with a LoopAlien knockoff and so far has held up very well. Will post pics soon but imagine: treehugger with marlinespike and carabiner. Amsteel suspension run through carabiner. CRL to opposite treehugger-carabiner back to LoopAlien on hammock and pulled tight. Everything is contained in one long snakeskin so deployment and pack-up are quick and easy, especially in rain. Will keep this method for a while, at least until I save enough for a HammockGear cuben Winter Palace.

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    Definitely lightweight and gloriously adjustable. I recommend Some grapplers hitch's on the tree-End of the strap for ease of setup/breaking camp. I like that you hang on one piece of amsteel; i played with an idea for something like this, with prussics or klimhiests instead of decension rings. The clove-hitch-on-a-ring seems much more effective. A+ write-up, too!
    Last edited by Theguywitheyebrows; 01-27-2016 at 21:06. Reason: spelling
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Hammock
    Custom Dutch 8'x4'
    Tarp
    MYOG Cuben Asym
    Insulation
    WM Everlite pod
    Suspension
    Simply 7/64
    Hmmmm this is pretty close to my continuous line i use for large span hangs.
    When i want to pitch really long, i bring 60 feet of Amsteel 3/16 (might be overkill but i pull it bowstring tight). I attach it to one tree with double wrap and a quick release bowline, put a alpine butterfly where i want my head, then truckers hitch the line to my cinch belt (yes, the kind you wear) around the other tree. Then i use a continuous loop of 7/64 to make a Machard sliding loop to hook the foot end to. I love the Machard knot, its fast and easy to tie, i can adjust the hang length with ease, and it has never slipped on me. The only part that is even slightly hard to untie is the butterfly knot, which is still very doable even after loading. I would use two machard loops, but that would require 1 more piece of gear (i am a little bit obsessive about having as few pieces as possible).
    I have a small hammock with carabiners through the ends, so it just hooks right onto the butterfly and the Machard.
    My asym tarp has short, simple lines that tie right onto the ridgeline with Blakes Hitches, those slide and hold well enough for a tarp, and eliminate the need for loops or hardware.
    I had to do some rope study to get the right knots but i love the simplicity of the kit. As long as i dont forget how to tie one of the 6 knots i'm all set . The Mytholito Biners could be lighter but they are easy on the hammock and spread the ends a little bit, plus they take the place of continuous loops and whoopie hooks....so two less pieces.

*Edit. I just found out that a Machard is the same as a Klemheist, like the guy who posted right before me mentioned.*

Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    i was super impressed by there being a knot I hadn't heard of (which totally happens all the time) until i saw your edit lol. I planned on looking it up. the alpine butterfly loop is one of my top two favorite knots of ever. it can also be used to join two rope ends together fearlessly. what you describe is pretty close to what I had in mind, but I was fearful of the trees being damaged by the 1" straps as the only thing I had. if I plan to use that method I'll have some of the 2" straps. I was making grapplers hitches on the ends of my 12' tree straps the other day and failed miserably, but I want to make that happen, as it creates ease at a point of frustration for me. those grappler's hitches make the chore of ringing a tree with the straps so much easier, I think they're a nigh necessary component. they are added to something, it isn't an additional piece to loose. grappler's hitch on one end of both straps, CLs in the channels, toggles lay around any campsite. that's my whole setup. 2 12' straps reach my 99" SRL + 7" of CL (total) ≈ 106" (I'll have to check) from any of the trees I can make the hang from. Jbend and a thumb-thick stick, and instant serenity from a single stuffsack.
    Last edited by Theguywitheyebrows; 01-28-2016 at 13:43.
    J. Garcia
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Hammock
    Custom Dutch 8'x4'
    Tarp
    MYOG Cuben Asym
    Insulation
    WM Everlite pod
    Suspension
    Simply 7/64
    haha ya i did the same. i was reading backwards in the thread and saw that you had mentioned that knot so i looked it up. The blakes hitch is a badass knot i recently discovered. Like a slip and grip knot that doesnt require a loop, perfect for my tarp. I have never tried it for tying the hammock to the line, i kinda figured it wouldnt hold as well and i need a loop anyways.
    I'm already sentimental about my new carabiners, i think they are here to stay. I had dutch hooks on continuous loops but they are always riding on that same tiny little spot in the loop unless i fidget with it every time. Plus they are mean to my hammock ends and create uneven tension. Biners make the hammock feel longer and softer and make a nice fat round surface for the line to go around.....that or it's strictly psychosomatic and i'm justifying using biners that weigh and cost more than my hammock. But if nothing else, they are undeniably sexy.
    3372_m.png
    Thats how i clip to my SLS.
    Last edited by Sphinx; 01-28-2016 at 00:49.

Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    Lol so sexy. I like the CLs, I feel like its holding the hammock better. I tried my nano 23s through the channels and I just wasn't feelin it.

seems like that's a much better option for the SLS. I'm thinking about making that happen now on my next outing to the local park.
    Last edited by Theguywitheyebrows; 01-28-2016 at 13:38. Reason: spelling/grammar
    J. Garcia

I hope it would be comfortable.
    Texoma Pest Management

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    As I've been reading this I've been thinking how I am going to apply this to my Luke's 90 degree hammock as well as adding a ridge line to hang things on in my WBRR. Luke took his idea to Exped and worked with them on developing the Ergo.

• + New Posts
  • Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast