DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Headchange4u, I liked your idea enough to buy 30' of Amsteel Blue. But instead of descending rings, I used caribiners tied into my ridgeline rather than onto the cinch cords of my hammock. That gives me handy hooks for my hammock, bug net, underquilt, pack, and other gear. I'm thinking now that I will add some smaller, non-loadbearing caribiners farther out on the ridge line to clip my tarp to. Everything is easily adjusted. Thanks for the great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    try this one tank29. I was very pleased and I believe the discount code still works http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=11819
    Yes the discount code still works.
    Tim Bowman
    Burien, WA
    Hennessy Ultra-lite
    '08 WR250R PHTV (Primary Hammock Transporter Vehicle)

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss No See Um No More
    Tarp
    BCUSA Coyote 10x10
    Insulation
    USMC Poncho Liner
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmike65 View Post
    Headchange4u, I liked your idea enough to buy 30' of Amsteel Blue. But instead of descending rings, I used caribiners tied into my ridgeline rather than onto the cinch cords of my hammock. That gives me handy hooks for my hammock, bug net, underquilt, pack, and other gear. I'm thinking now that I will add some smaller, non-loadbearing caribiners farther out on the ridge line to clip my tarp to. Everything is easily adjusted. Thanks for the great idea!
    I was just going to suggest that this may work as an all inclusive setup by adding the tarp to the combo, I'm glad the idea is not an exclusive one. It shows already that it may be a good one. Would like to see pictures if you could get this setup together.
    Palmetto State Hangers Facebook Group

Last Hang Attended 2013 Fall Sprawl Trip Report

Next Hang To Attend 2014 Spring Swing

I can only afford to live free.
    Anything else cost far too much.

Hammock
    WBBB, D.I.Y. KSSH
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    H.G. & Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Having it as an all in one is the way to go. It's fast and easy to setup, Once. The only problem, which really isn't a problem, is that tarp tie out tensioners are required somewhat. I have tested it with a sil tarp without them, but it requires allot of getting in & out of the hammock to stretch everything out the best you can. When you get it, everything stays for the most part tight, they are almost mandatory for CF tarps. I end up using the tensioners just to make things quick & easy, they do come at a 4oz. penalty though. I go back & forth between the SLS & normal way, just depends on my mood and trip. I do like the speed of setup though.

Things I have noticed since using this system.
    Advantages
    • Speed, you visit each tree one time to hook up your straps.
    • Ease of use, your tarp is always centered above the hammock.
    • Comfort, you get the same lay each time.
    • Weather, when its raining cats & dogs, your only in the rain one time to hook up your tree straps & tie out the tarp. Once that is done, no need to go back out in it to hook up additional straps for the hammock or adjust the lay. You can hook it while under the cover of tarp. You can also leave it in your pack while you cook or do whatever under cover. When your ready, just hook in.

Disadvantages
    • Weight, because you use allot more of the larger size rope plus the need for tensioners. It's not much, mine weighs in at just over 2 oz. for the SLS alone. Each tensioner (mine anyway) 1oz. x4 = 4oz. So for the SLS to work the way I like, 6oz. That doesn't include the straps, which you need in any system, nor does it include the 2 0.16oz Biners I use to clip in my hammock.

Other notes
    • Distance between trees. Thought I would mention it. With the way my SLS is setup, I have to be careful not to get trees that are to close. With a normal setup, I can basically make sure the distance is wide enough for the tarp. But with the SLS It needs to by wider than my tarp plus my whoopie bury. But this also creates an advantage. Because the lay is not changed due to how high I set my straps, I can go greater distances between trees & not need a stepladder to hang my straps. I can hang my straps, setup the system, get in my hammock to stretch everything out, then tighten the whoopies again. This usually only takes one tightening to keep me high enough. But I can keep doing this, getting in/out/tightening until its perfect for most distances. 27', no problem.

Now with all this rambling I just did I have a couple more notes or disclaimers if you will. This is just what I have found using the system I made. Yours may be different, most are. You may have a smaller tarp, or more whoopies, or descender rings, whatever. So the advantages & disadvantages will differ. Like the tarp tensioners, yes, I could make lighter/smaller ones, but I like the way the ones I have tension. I could also just setup the system different, like tying the tarp out separate, but that gets rid of most things except comfort. If you interested in seeing how I made mine and what it looks like, Click this blue text or the Single Line Hammock/Tarp Suspension below in my sig.

Later.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss No See Um No More
    Tarp
    BCUSA Coyote 10x10
    Insulation
    USMC Poncho Liner
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    And then throw the whole mess in a bishop bag! Woohoo!
    Palmetto State Hangers Facebook Group

Last Hang Attended 2013 Fall Sprawl Trip Report

Next Hang To Attend 2014 Spring Swing

I can only afford to live free.
    Anything else cost far too much.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Thanks Now one more thing to consider before replacing my stock Suspension
    "HANGING OUT" has taken on a whole NEW MEANING

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Suspension
    SLS/Whoopieslings
    Question on the adjustable ridge line. I was looking at using most of this suspension on my ENO Double. But I don't use slings on the end. Could I use this idea... up until the rings. I like that thing I could use carabiners, line or whatever from that point. What I would like to do is use that point to put up a permanent ridge line so I get the same sag every time. I think that would be a structural ridge line. Also wondering if I could do a ridegline for this purpose to the stock carabiners on my eno. Any advice would be appreciated

Hammock
    Travel Hammock
    Tarp
    ExpeditionExplorer
    Insulation
    DIY IX TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    SLS
    Got the stuff, Amsteel blue, descending rings from REI and some DIY tree huggers, testing the system in the morning

Hammock
    HH Backpacker UL
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ (Yipee
    Suspension
    7/64 Amsteel SLS

SLS with Alpine Butterflies and Soft Shackles FTW

Thanks for all the great ideas on suspensions lines! Just had my first outing ever in my hammock and modded it to an SLS before I went. Will be changing over my sons hammock as well. This system is TOO easy to hang!

Since I am still using the stock HH tarp on my UB, I wanted to be as close to the line as possible, so I used alpine butterflies 104" apart on the main line with 7' whoopie loops on each end, 16" dual fixed loop Dynaglide connectors to gather the ends and Soft Shackles to hook the Dyna to the line. Easy-peasy.

It all worked like a charm and I stayed suspended, dry, and happy.

Thanks all!

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Suspension
    SLS/Whoopieslings
    This is my take on the SLS. I like the base suspension on the original but I am going to use biners to tree straps. I also used a adjustable ridge line from the whoopieslings store instead of using the same line. Hopefully I can attach my guardian bug net and a tarp to prusiks on the whoopie slings to make this a all in one system and put it into a speed sack. These modifications are addictive
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast