ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Webbing

Materials

Where can I find the rope used here in a 50 foot hank?
    Try you may, fail you might. -unknown

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by 475068350 View Post
    Where can I find the rope used here in a 50 foot hank?
    Amsteel Blue...use FREEXMAS as a discount code and get free shipping through 12/16/12.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Amsteel Blue...use FREEXMAS as a discount code and get free shipping through 12/16/12.
    Thanks. Got just what I needed.
    Try you may, fail you might. -unknown

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dual
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    modded sleepingbag
    Suspension
    webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Thanks for posting the link. Was just to purchase a bit myself. Ready to try my hands at whoopee slings...
    -Kevin

Famous last words: "Hey guys, y'all put down your beer and watch this!"

Hammock
    Sparrow
    Tarp
    WinterDream
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    I like the set-up. I use the rings in almost the same way. I made my own whoopi type slings using "mule tape" a 2000lbs. poly-nylon flat rope used by the electrical underground
    industry to pull long heavy cable thru conduit. mule tape is half an inch wide and and 1/8 inch thick. It does not work well as a tree hugger...it snags on the bark.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    I just finished reading through all the posts in this thread (even my earlier!) and I have an idea that I'd like to run by folks.

The setup I'm thinking of using has a mainline of ~40' of 1/8" Amsteel, four nacrobiners (made from 1/8" Amsteel) and a set of tree straps.

My present hammock has an ideal hung spread of 85". So, I would tie two butterfly knots, centered on the line, so that the ends of hitching loops are 85" apart. That would allow me to hitch my hammock (using nacrobiners) to the loops on the butterfly knots at the same angle that I like. Since I'm establishing my ideal length between the ends of the hitching loops, I can play with the length of those loops to adjust how high the ridge line is above me (6" loops would put the ridgeline higher than 1" loops)

Next, On each end of the main line I would install what would end up being 4-5' whoopie sling loops. These would attach to the tree slings with the other set of nacrobiners.

Here's what I'm thinking:

1. I know that 85" is where I want to be, so why not make that static on an unstretchable line that is heavy enough to take some serious pull?

2. By putting in-line whoopie slings on each end, I have some play in length and for centering the hammock between hang points.

The only points that I still have questions about are the nacrobiners. All that I've read about them suggests they should be more than strong enough for the load, but I have yet to do any practical tests.

What are your thoughts on all of this? Do you think that a nacrobiner would be weaker than the mainline itself? Is 1/8" overkill and 7/64" should be heavy enough? Are there any reasons to not make the hitching points static, if I know what spread I need to get the sag I like?

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    mrmike. I did something that sounds similar to your description https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ght=olddog%27s My hammock and huggers both use nacrobiners in the suspension with no problems. The main point to keep in mind about the SLS systems is that the loadings are much greater than other suspensions hanging at 30 degrees. MADD777 had been trying to impress on me the tremendous loads with the SLS and it didn't sink in until a poorly stitched hugger let loose. For attaching the hammock and tarp to the SLS I use a buried sliding loop, thought it was something new but as near as I can tell it's a UCR.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    mrmike. I did something that sounds similar to your description https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ght=olddog%27s My hammock and huggers both use nacrobiners in the suspension with no problems. The main point to keep in mind about the SLS systems is that the loadings are much greater than other suspensions hanging at 30 degrees. MADD777 had been trying to impress on me the tremendous loads with the SLS and it didn't sink in until a poorly stitched hugger let loose. For attaching the hammock and tarp to the SLS I use a buried sliding loop, thought it was something new but as near as I can tell it's a UCR.
    Great info, olddog. I'll keep that all in mind as I explore this new rig. Thanks

Hammock
    Hennessy/ENO/DIY
    Tarp
    Mosquito Diamond
    Insulation
    pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Nice post HC4U - I wish I'd read it before last night, when I used up all my amsteel making a different type of suspension... Oh well, Scott won't mind another order, I'm sure!
    To become Old and Wise, First be Young and Foolish.

"A man who will not read, has no advantage over a man who cannot read." - Attr. Mark Twain

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    SUPERFLY
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ
    so was wondering who all was still using the sls and if there was any signs of amsteel weakening area of the metal ring

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast