DIY
    Tarp
    diy Mac Cat
    Insulation
    down uq
    Suspension
    SLS mule tape
    Quote Originally Posted by grok View Post
    I'm sure this has been done but I have allways had one line and treehugers. That's it. no rings. I used the gathered end method my suspension line goes straight through the sphincter at the end of the hammock. I used a piece of gutted paracord through the draw string channel and reverse a couple of halfhitches.
    I use a system very similar to this! The simplicity is great, but the truth is, for me, I only did it the way I did because of limited supplies. That and I had never heard of hammock camping before. I whipped my hammock back on itself and put carabiners in the loop. This was actually a huge problem at first, keeping the biners from sliding down the ridgeline. Then I found the Marlinspike Hitch. Now its smooth sailing.
    Heh, I used waxed floss too. Not enough the first time though, luckily i was close to the ground .

IMG00474-20110226-1642 (4).jpg
    You don't sleep on the ground at home, why would you expect me to out here?

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 whipped ends
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' Sil
    Suspension
    Whoopie SLS
    I kept meaning to take pictures of my suspension. I still haven't, but I made a little video that demonstrates the design:

Last edited by hikelite; 03-16-2011 at 19:47.
    Life is hard? Compared to what?

Sls

Hello, I'm new to the forum and even newer to hammocks (I only set it up once, due to not really having a suspension system). I bought an ENO DN, 4 OP repel rings, and 2 23KN wire gate biners. This SLS suspension system really caught my attention and seems to be something I'd like to try, but I have a few questions.

1. by nature of the design, it seems that a lot of tension would be put on the RL, along with the normal angular tension. Does this still follow the "line tension" guide that I saw in another thread, or is it more evenly spread due to the RL being part of the suspension?
    2. I've been reading a lot about knots degrading the rope; would that clove hitch really pose a problem?
    3. I"ll probably try to pick up some 3/16" or 1/4" amsteel (I know, it weighs more, but so do I (6' 5" 250lbs) lol), how much would 50' of either 3/16" or 1/4" weigh about? and where's the cheapest place to get it?

I probably have more questions but can't think of them at the momen.... wait, I just remembered one is there anywhere that sells either 1.5" or 2" seatbelt webbing huggers with loops already sewn? Thanks in advance for the help,

Joel

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    So I just had a random thought about the SLS. Would it be possible to use a softshackle or a prussik to attach the hammock to the SLS, thereby doing away with the rings and their associated weight?

Assuming of course that you use cordage rated to handle the weight.

I'm sure this is probably a bad idea, just hoping someone smarter than me can tell me why.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Tarp
    Insulation
    Clark Pockets
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Makes since to me...
    It's hard to have a bad day in a good hammock. - Jeremy Flatt

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    I don't see why not...(no pun intended)

I'm new to the forum but this system looks great. I started off with your standard yellow rope and two alpine butterfly knots with carabiners to attach my hammock. I think I will try set this up. Can you set your tarp up on the same rope or would you hang another rope.

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
    I'm new to the forum but this system looks great. I started off with your standard yellow rope and two alpine butterfly knots with carabiners to attach my hammock. I think I will try set this up. Can you set your tarp up on the same rope or would you hang another rope.
    You could....but IMHO, it would be better to use a seperate RL to hang your tarp from. That way when you get into your hammoch and it sags a little...and it will...your tarp tension will not be affected and your tarp will stay nice and tight.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    So I just had a random thought about the SLS. Would it be possible to use a softshackle or a prussik to attach the hammock to the SLS, thereby doing away with the rings and their associated weight?

Assuming of course that you use cordage rated to handle the weight.

I'm sure this is probably a bad idea, just hoping someone smarter than me can tell me why.
    Catavarie, It will and does work. Been working on this since the amsteel came in. Four continuous loops and 40' of amsteel for the SLS which will probably be shortened. The truckers hitch loops have a short piece of tubing to protect the amsteel. At first the prussics didn't want to grip but after sliding up and down held fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by olddog; 07-28-2011 at 08:35. Reason: spelling
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hi there,
    i´m new in the hanging way of sleeping and plan to order my a DD-Frontliner.
    I like the idea of the Single line Suspension and my Question is now if this will also work with the DD-Frontliner?
    Is there enough hight to tie the Mosquitonet on the rigid line?
    Thanks..
    Regards Alex

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast