Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images

Fleece lined hammock

I made a test hammock lined with Malden Mills Polartec 300 fleece. I ordered 4 yards. I came home and my wife had made a blanket from it already What should I do, get rid of the wife Anyways she left me about a 50" x 62" piece. I sewed the 62" long side to the middle part on each side of the test hammock and left each end open for a pad if needed. I finished it about 11 p.m. and it was 26 degrees outside. Do I go get in bed with the wife who stole my fleece or go "test" the hammock?

I took a 3/4 pad, 20 degree bag for quilt, and the fleece hammock out for the test. I started out with just the fleece and bag for quilt. I expected to instantly feel the cold in the butt and shoulder area but was suprised because it took about 15 minutes and it still was not bad. Without the fleece it would have been instantly cold at that temp. I put the pad under the fleece and the oven came on. Staying on the pad was not as critical as normal and elbows knees etc did not get cold when pushed in the sides of the hammock. It was toasty with this setup and I slept about 2hrs. When I woke up I was too hot for me. I decided to test wearing my REI MTS fleece shirt and long johns, REI primaloft Gossamer jacket, and Marmot 40 degree pounder bag as a quilt. This was very comfortable and slept about another hour . This normally would not work at 26 degrees so the fleece in the hammock was adding a lot to the setup.

The test hammock weighs about 2.5lbs. I made it to use on the back porch of my cabin so I think it is going to work out great.

Images

Great Idea!

This sounds like a way to stay warm....what a great idea...but when you fold it all up is it not bulky due to the fleece? What kind of material is your test hammock made out of?
    I have a fleece sleeping bag...cheap kind from Wal-Mart now you have me thinking.....and I HATE to sew

I had the same experience doing some cold weather testing using fleece pants, fleece pullover and a JRB Nest. It got down to 17 degrees with wind chill but I was warm enough in my hammock.

I'm guessing the reason may be BECAUSE the fleece is 'bulky' ie does not compress, it provides a good insulation value. Basically the same thing as wearing a fleece pullover and a wind breaker (the hammock in this case)...alot warmer than either alone, but very bulky in the pack.

Fleece works great for and underquilt, my inside hammock has 1 layer of fleece on the outside. Is the fleece you used "windproof"?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    This sounds like a way to stay warm....what a great idea...but when you fold it all up is it not bulky due to the fleece? What kind of material is your test hammock made out of?
    It is not too bad. I put it in my ULA Conduit pack (2100 cu in body) and it took up about half of it. I made it to use when camping around my land or on the back porch of the cabin so bulk is not a problem. I made it out of some Walmart ripstop that is heavier (about 3oz yard) that I had for my first DIY hammock. I like the heavier material for repeated use and it does not stretch as much. I think it is going to be easy and fast to throw up on the porch and get a good nights sleep.

Is the fleece you used "windproof"?
    No, It is double velour 300wt. I ordered it directly from the Malden Mills website on clearance for $6 something a yard.
    Last edited by hangnout; 01-17-2007 at 18:57.

• + New Posts