Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Walmart Special
    Insulation
    Pad & Blanket
    Suspension
    Straps

Hammock

This may have been asked before and if it has please excuse me. Can a guy use something like a king sized flat sheet and make a gathered end hammock out of it? I'm trying to think of a cheap way I can try out hammock camping to see if I will like it. If I do I would go ahead and invest the money in a good hammock.

Thanks,
    Brian

Hammock
    DIY HH clone sorta
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10ish mess
    Insulation
    DIY Primaloft UQ
    Suspension
    DIY straps w/whoop
    Images
    Sure, it will probably get you off the ground. But you'd be better off with the nylon. There are issues with the weight limit/capacity of said sheet. And then the whole water issue if you are going to be camping. There are plenty of sites here on the forum to find suitable materials. Check the sticky in the fabrics section of the DIY forum. I highly recommend www.diygearsupply.com. If you have a Jo-ann/hancock fabric nearby you can get some ripstop at a reasonable price, some people have even lucked out at their local Wal-mart to find some.
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde.

Hammock
    DIY DL 1.1 w/footbox and zip bugnet
    Tarp
    MEC Sil Guide Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I made my son a full sized gathered end hammock (without a bug net) to try out and it cost me less than $30 and I could have done it cheaper if I ordered the stuff online. I just picked up some ripstop from my local fabric store...an hour later he had a hammock. (I already had some small rope that was more than strong enough to use as suspension)
    Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions. ~Author Unknown
    I seem to have lots of experience for my age

Hammock
    Moded Hammock Bliss Mosquito Free
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 Sil
    Insulation
    Bag+pad
    Suspension
    Strap+Whoopiesling
    Images
    Unless you are dead set on making one you can get a grand trunk ultralight for $15-20 depending on where you look on the web. Amazon has them for $19 now, but I have seen them for less. The Picture shows my friend's with a blue poly tarp. Altogether with the tent stakes and rope he is probably around $30 into the setup.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Tryinhard View Post
    This may have been asked before and if it has please excuse me. Can a guy use something like a king sized flat sheet and make a gathered end hammock out of it? I'm trying to think of a cheap way I can try out hammock camping to see if I will like it. If I do I would go ahead and invest the money in a good hammock.

Thanks,
    Brian
    Buy 3 1/2 -4 yards of ripstop at a local Wal-Mart. no need to sew for a test hammock, and it's a cheap way to do it. Probably not much more than a king sheet. Academy Sports has hammocks for about $20, with bugnets for $40.

• + New Posts