Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    My hammock will be a summer rig for the foreseeable future. I will be using it for northern Minnesota fishing trips. Summer temps up there will get down to the mid forties at times. I have a 40 degree mummy bag. I slept in my GT UL last year an I figured out the hard way that I needed some insulation. I used my 3/4 thermarest but it was not very comfortable. I am going to have to try some things out. Maybe I will try a DIY UQ. I like the size of that 3/4 pad it is small. I wish I could try out a HHSS. I had a Potomac bought from another forum member but it got lost in the mail over a month ago, so I am writing that off. My system will be used primarily on canoe trip or car camping until my son gets old enough to carry his own gear. Size and weight are not the biggest concerns at this point.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dammfast View Post
    My hammock will be a summer rig for the foreseeable future. I will be using it for northern Minnesota fishing trips. Summer temps up there will get down to the mid forties at times. I have a 40 degree mummy bag. I slept in my GT UL last year an I figured out the hard way that I needed some insulation. I used my 3/4 thermarest but it was not very comfortable. I am going to have to try some things out. Maybe I will try a DIY UQ. I like the size of that 3/4 pad it is small. I wish I could try out a HHSS. I had a Potomac bought from another forum member but it got lost in the mail over a month ago, so I am writing that off. My system will be used primarily on canoe trip or car camping until my son gets old enough to carry his own gear. Size and weight are not the biggest concerns at this point.
    DANG! That Potomac would have done you right! I hope you and the seller got things worked out money wise- hopefully insured?

OK, canoeing and car camping, weight and maybe volume is not an issue.

If money is the main issue, some things you ought to try:
    1: put a WM blue pad or your Thermarest inside your sleeping bag. Some folks report a better pad/hammock experience with this approach.

2: Did you have trouble staying on your TR? Put some silicon seam sealer "snail tracks" on the pad to reduce it's tendency to slip around. Or get some shelf liner and put it under your pad.

3: How big is your bag, and does the zipper go around the foot box? If so, experiment with the pod approach. Lot's of serious cold weather folks use this approach. Just put your hammock suspension through the foot end zipper area, zip it up around the hammock part way, get in and zip it up AROUND your entire hammock. If it is accurately rated for 40F on the ground, you will probably be OK to about 40 top and bottom. Add a pad or space blanket or even clothing or DRY leaves UNDER the hammock(comfort wise you won't know it is there assuming enough room), and some warm clothing, and you might be OK into the high 20s. A wide bag is best for this.

Just brain storming for ways to get you by until you can get a real Pea Pod, or a JRB MW or Yeti or HG or some of the super nice stuff folks here use.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 02-18-2012 at 12:31.

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    The seller did refund my money. I actually felt bad for him as I do not think that he did insure the package. I just got an amail from him toady, he got a reply from the post office basically saying that someone in a sorting facility had stolen it. They had found the open box hidden in some bin or something. They even send him back the shipping label off of his original box. I Really wish I could have tried that potomac. I will experiment and fid something that work i am sure. funny I had already done the little sticky dots on my pad it works awesome. I do have some sewing abilities so I may try making a Potomac if something doesn't show up for sale in my price range. Man I wish it wouldn't have got lost.

DammFast

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12