Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images

HHSS with pad

Can you use the super shelter with an inflatable pad instead of the foam pad it comes with? I did a search but found nothing about it. Looking at the SS it looks like it should work. Just wondering if anyone has tried it

DammFast

Hammock
    Darien UL 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Do you mean using an inflatable pad and the undercover from the SS? I doubt the undercover alone would hold the pad up tight against the bottom of the hammock, which is what you need.
    ~
    "Home is where I hang my food bag."

Monkeywrench
    Allen Freeman
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com
    blog.allenf.com

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    Yeah that is what I was thinking. I have not seen the super shelter in person, how does the reflective pad that comes with the shelter get held in place?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    two imprortant issues. The SSpad is the cheapest part of the system. Don't buy the undercover and not the open cell pad. Secondly the SS pad is uncovered upen cell. It has to fit snjg to the contours. My experience is an inflatableable will not. The systen is designed to work together.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    HH BU
    Tarp
    HH Typhoon
    Insulation
    I just suck it up
    Suspension
    HH
    Quote Originally Posted by dammfast View Post
    Yeah that is what I was thinking. I have not seen the super shelter in person, how does the reflective pad that comes with the shelter get held in place?
    The reflective pad is not included in the super shelter.

From hennessy's site:

"System includes UnderCover and UnderPad. OverCover is a separate accessory. Note: Radiant Bubble Pad is not part of this system."

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
    Do you mean using an inflatable pad and the undercover from the SS? I doubt the undercover alone would hold the pad up tight against the bottom of the hammock, which is what you need.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    two imprortant issues. The SSpad is the cheapest part of the system. Don't buy the undercover and not the open cell pad. Secondly the SS pad is uncovered upen cell. It has to fit snjg to the contours. My experience is an inflatableable will not. The systen is designed to work together.
    +1 on above advice. HH used to specify the system was not meant to be used with a regular pad. Which will not curve around you so you might have to narrow an area of contact. And which might be heavy enough to cause the UC to sag giving you zero contact, with cold air filling the gap.

Still, I have played around with a light narrow torso size CCF pad and thought it seemed to have some benefit. And Blackout up in Alaska has been putting a TR (inflatable) pad down in the UC under the regular pad, and has apparently had some success. Though that is surprising. If you have a HHSS give it a try and see how it goes, but I would not order just the UC, without the pad. They work great together IMO.

There is no radiant pad that comes with the HHSS. You have to by a separate space blanket ( bout $3) to be laid out on top of the HH OCF pad. HH makes a radiant bubble pad that is not part of the Super Shelter system. It was mainly designed to fit inside the pad pocket of the double layer HH Deep Jungle hammock. It "ties" or "clips" on to the HH side guy out elastics. Though there is no reason why you couldn't use it in addition to the SS for very cold temps.

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    Okay I was just thinking "out loud". I definitely still have a lot to learn. I only recently bought a HH expedition and haven't got to sleep in it yet. I already have the thermarest pad and was thinking that it would pack down pretty small, and give me more options in the woods. I know from my first experience that I will need insulation. I has looked at the super shelter and like the idea of it. I think I need to see one in person to get a feel for it. I would like my system to give me as much range as possible.

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    So I was just on the Hennessy website, not that I didn't believe you guys. But how can it be more expensive to order the whole SS over piece by piece? Does it come with something besides the undercover and pad?

Images
    So I was just on the Hennessy website, not that I didn't believe you guys. But how can it be more expensive to order the whole SS over piece by piece? Does it come with something besides the undercover and pad?
    It is not, unles maybe you order pad and UC separately. Actually, it is $5 cheaper to order separately, which is quite odd and must be a mistake. But I think the point is: get the system rather than just an UC and trying to get a different pad to work with the UC.

OTOH, if you are wanting to use your pad to save money, you can blow off the entire HHSS and just use your pad inside the hammock. If you can stay on it, it will be at least as warm as the entire HHSS system.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post

OTOH, if you are wanting to use your pad to save money, you can blow off the entire HHSS and just use your pad inside the hammock. If you can stay on it, it will be at least as warm as the entire HHSS system.
    +1 on this. Weasel (my son) has used his thermarest prolite inside his expedition without the HHSS successfully a couple of times.

I'd mention that if you're using a synthetic bag, you might get away with no pad or HHSS underneath depending on temps and your bag, where you're just using the insulation provided by the bag itself. It may compress, but synthetic tends to compress less (and therefore maintain a bit more R value) as much underneath you as down does.

I've slept in my HH Explorer inside of my 20 deg synthetic bag without any underinsulation comfortably in weather with 40-45 deg temps. Same with using my mil issue ICW bag as well.

Seriously...your best bet is to get out and try out things and find what works best for yourself. Do a hang in the back yard with your current bag and thermarest...and then tweak the system from there til you get it comfy for you.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast