Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    I'm not saying that it was an inappropriate response. But it was unprecedented and without warning or even an explanation (until now).

Thank you for posting your reasoning. We're all adults here, and friends too, for the most part. I think we can be given the benefit of the doubt that we can deal with things amongst ourselves in an acceptable way, as we always have in the past, when given the chance.

Maybe if it happens again, you could (with some warning) edit out the text of the posts.

To me the LAST RESORT option here (the "nuclear option") would be to delete the posts, but that shouldn't be the first option.

BTW, I think I did apologize to 4D's for any inappropriate comments, but that post is now not visible.

This was also the first time I have ever edited it posts in such a way. This type of editing for me is a last resort. Maybe I should have just removed the offending comments, left my explanation and apologies from you and others. That would be my normal course of action. For some reason it just seemed to me, that the best course of action, in this particular situation, was to remove the comments and the discussion related to them.

As you said NCPatrick, we are all friends here and I meant no malice to anyone.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    I think in dealings like these our group has a big advantage over other online sites. We have a lot of hangouts. I have met a decent amount of the core group of people here. For the most part everyone knows everyone else is just joking around and trying to have fun. I haven't met a single person here that I wouldn't hike with.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Switchback, DD frontline, or speer
    Tarp
    tttghex DD 3 x 3
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, DD, bags
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, web
    Images
    I know I haven't posted a lot, but in reading all the posts I have read, I have come to the realization that by and large, the regulars in this group do not want to harm, or offend anyone. I think this thread is a prime example of how people can be aware of other's requirements, and even if we step over the line a little, are quick to respond with decency and caring....Just what I like best about this electronic community.

John

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I guess hammocks have that relaxing effect on people...

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad
    I understand being unhappy with deleted posts, but I’m also VERY supportive of being aggressive in keeping this site G rated. Honestly, what are we really losing by being circumspect about our posts? There are countless sites that have lower standards, and few are as good as this one.

Being a moderator is kind of like being a ref at a sports event; under the best of circumstances, half the people are mad at you. I think this group does a fine job. Who among us hasn’t both straightened out someone, and also been straightened out? It’s no big deal, Coffee’s on the right track.

The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Images
    I don't see a problem with the moderation. I has to be a tough job as we all see thing differently at times. Keeping things PG rated is important and should be respected. Sometimes everyone won't agree with what is inappropriate and what isn't, but someone has to make that decision and it is probably best on this type of forum to error on being too strict with it than too lenient.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    I don't see a problem with the moderation. I has to be a tough job as we all see thing differently at times. Keeping things PG rated is important and should be respected. Sometimes everyone won't agree with what is inappropriate and what isn't, but someone has to make that decision and it is probably best on this type of forum to error on being too strict with it than too lenient.
    The issue of where to draw the line uis complicated even more by things far beyond the control of the moderators or even the posters. Maybe it is because I work with addicts in general, sexual addicts in particular but I must say I find the "erectile dysfunction" ads during the super bowl far more intrusive and family unfriendly than anything I have seen here.

I do not make a statement about what should or should not offend anyone. But with condoms being displayed at the grocery checkout counters and the ads on TV I have found it nearly impossible to avoid exposure to kids of more "mature" topics.

I _know_ my kids were exposed to some of those issues at a much earlier age than others simply because of the work I do. That doesn't make it right. Bit it does take the edge of embarrassment off when one of them asks the inevitable questions. Try explaining erectile dysfunction to an 8 year old. hehehe. Plus my youngest is getting ready to leave home in a year or so. The topics can just get even tougher and more complicated.

In any event, I think the moderators here are first class. It is not the easiest thing to do.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    The issue of where to draw the line uis complicated even more by things far beyond the control of the moderators or even the posters. Maybe it is because I work with addicts in general, sexual addicts in particular but I must say I find the "erectile dysfunction" ads during the super bowl far more intrusive and family unfriendly than anything I have seen here.

I do not make a statement about what should or should not offend anyone. But with condoms being displayed at the grocery checkout counters and the ads on TV I have found it nearly impossible to avoid exposure to kids of more "mature" topics.

I _know_ my kids were exposed to some of those issues at a much earlier age than others simply because of the work I do. That doesn't make it right. Bit it does take the edge of embarrassment off when one of them asks the inevitable questions. Try explaining erectile dysfunction to an 8 year old. hehehe. Plus my youngest is getting ready to leave home in a year or so. The topics can just get even tougher and more complicated.

In any event, I think the moderators here are first class. It is not the easiest thing to do.
    Well put. I am never ceased to be amazed by the diverse backgrounds of everyone here and in hiking in general.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Yeah, it's sad to say but we can't use TV as a guide<g>.
    It's gettin more & more embarrassing to watch TV w/ my mom... not only the content in the shows, but the commercials too
    Good thing I'm watching less & less TV
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Homemade asym
    Tarp
    Homemade blackcat
    Insulation
    JRB Hudson River
    I realize issue is over and dealt with but just an idea for the future...

When a mod or admin edits or deletes a post/thread they could 1. pm the person who made the post originally so that they are aware that what they wrote is considered inappropriate, and also say that they have an opportunity to explain themselves if they feel they need to(It is easy to say all of this without being abrasive and/or demeaning) and 2. leave a post in said thread saying that the post/thread was edited/deleted because of content, or however you feel like wording it. If a whole thread is deleted, a new thread should be made explaining, so that other members are made aware and don't jump to conclusions of "Moderators being unfair".

I'm not sure if the moderating team here will like this idea, but it's just a thought.
    Last edited by QChan; 06-16-2008 at 15:28. Reason: Some words missing...

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast