Darien UL
    Tarp
    Zpacks Asym
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies

Worst conundrum Ever

Just recieved my first set of materials from DIY.com for my first hammock project. However, have backpakcing trip planned for this weekend
    Some how I have to split myslef in twain so someone I can get both done. Too bad I'm so bad with a needle. Could hike during the day and sew at night

Sorry if this is a little off topic. Really excited to make my first hammock though. Will keep everyone updated on my progress once I get started on it next weekend. Now if I can somehow manage not to sew my fingers to the 1.1 ripstop that would be great.

Do I have to pin the hem or is there a way to fold it and run it through the machine? Never used a sewing machine before. Time to go visit mom and beg for help.
    Ground=Cold+Hard+Wet

Solution!!!! Sleep in a TREE

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    I just fold as I go, but I'm not really concerned about looks or exact measurements.
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Zpacks Asym
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    For my first attempt i'm not really either for the hem at least. Pinning if I do not need to sounds like a major pain.
    Ground=Cold+Hard+Wet

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    if you are working with long lengths, sometimes it makes sense to pin so you can see how it all works out. Then again, with ripstop, you can follow the pretty lines and fold as you go.

If you pin, pin so that the heads are towards you when you run it through the machine- remember that the bulk of the fabric will be on the outside- and then have a little jar or jar lid to put the pins in as you pull it out.

Flip the foot up to slide in the fabric, flip it down to grip the fabric- if you've rolled it over for a hem (and creasing helps too) you have two hands to roll the next couple of inches how you want them as you go.

One hand at the back gently (as in hardly- the machine will push the fabric through) pulling (really just holding) and one holding the roll and directing the fabric under the needle.

If you can drive a car, you can drive a sewing machine.

Let go of the fabric before it goes under the needle- probably about an inch or two back from the foot. It'll stay folded.

Make sure the needle is DOWN when you flip up the foot to turn corners.

Get a scrap (of the same fabric, if possible) and do a practice run first- it helps you know how your machine behaves.

Good luck- it isn't that hard once you get going.

Oh- and if mom is willing, watching someone else sew (or youtube) is good before you start yourself.
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Zpacks Asym
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Thanks for the tutorial, helped a lot.
    Ground=Cold+Hard+Wet

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by titanium_hiker View Post
    ...If you pin, pin so that the heads are towards you when you run it through the machine...
    I would suggest inserting the pins perpendicular to the hem. Head left or right. This allows you to sew right over the pins if you like (or get carried away), although I usually still pull the pins as they get close to the presser foot.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Don't bother pinning. Roll the hem over twice and sew. Go about a foot at a time. With practice, this goes pretty quickly... and if it isn't really straight, nobody cares... it works... Your skills will improve with time.

RamblinRev, our resident sewing expert (or his wife is, so he says) indicated that sewing over a needle is a bad idea... most of the time it'll be ok, but once in a while things could go wrong... really wrong.. like break something...

Personally, I listen to the man.

Watch his video... in the sticky's....

Then sew away. Do the long hems first... then the short ones. 1.5 hours and you'll have a hammock. the second hammock will take you 45 minutes, the next 30...

Best of luck.

DO you have your insulation figured out? I HIGHLY recommend you do a test hang or 4 before you get out into the woods...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Pins are a pain! Follow TFC Rick's advice. Just fold the nem twice as you feed the fabric into the machine, like John says, a foot (or less) at a time.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    DIY is so much fun it's addictive, and it will cut into your time in the woods. Take all the good advice you've received here, but go hike first.

Hammock
    diy hammock
    Tarp
    diy 10x10
    Insulation
    homemade UQ w/sock
    Suspension
    rings and webbing
    the short edges won't need hemmed, and the long sides just need hemmed to insure it won'tufrey. You could skip the pins, ironing and hem all together by heat sealing the edges. Either with a wood burner or candle flame. It can be tricky using a candle, but once you get a feel for it it goes quick. I made a quick hammock for a weekend trip one day be forethe trip, didn't even worry bout the edging. When i got back to civilization, i did all the fine tuneing and clean up of my handy work. So long as you're hanging comfy, there is no right or wrong.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast