Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

on the AT now. rain. lightning in a hammock?

i am on the ma/ct borderof the AT and didnt realize i was going to be throwing out any supposed attemt at a definition for the term "torrential downpour" ... all i have to say is HOLY CRAP. and i am wondering how safe are we from lightning vs being in the "position". also do not pitch a hh stock tarp with one side anywhere near the height of the tarp ridge becuase while a little rain will roll off, 5 gallons every 20 seconds will fill it up like a bathtub. instantly. fortunately i had some extra rope that was NOT in the bear box and tied a new ridge line for it. also staked it down to the ground instead of a tree uphill. this storm is INSANE. should have brought the jrb 11x10 instead i think. hammock ropes stretch and slip in such rain too and a poncho doesnt work if your arms are raised and someone has 3 fire hoses on you at once. anyway sorry for the ramble i am on my cellphone

hope you get this: just searched doppler in Salisbury CT, you'll be rain free and lightning free in minutes. maybe little shower in about 30 mins...1930

hey, maybe real time weather prognostication can be something our members can use, kinda like low tech communication with internet searches. When your hair is standing up on your neck, it would be good to get some info.

Images
    So how did you make out in that HH stock tarp during your Noah like experience? Did the tarp prove to be lightening resistant as well as light weight?

Images
    I think you are doing the right things so far. Hopefully some people with the stock HH tarp will chime in with some tips. Stay strong, you will make it!

Is there any way to get a bigger tarp sent to a town up the trail?

Hammock
    JRB BMBH w/ 2Q 3-zipper mod
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB MW3, HR on top
    Suspension
    WhoOpiesling!
    Images
    The stock tarp has kept me dry but only when NAILED DOWN TIGHT. Gotta have the ends almost on the ground. Put rocks over stakes to hold in wet ground. Me thinks the tarp was gonna rip, but she held fast.

Rolling thunder and rain here in MD, but at least they are movin through.

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalin View Post
    I think you are doing the right things so far. Hopefully some people with the stock HH tarp will chime in with some tips. Stay strong, you will make it!

Is there any way to get a bigger tarp sent to a town up the trail?

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jaiden View Post
    i am on the ma/ct borderof the AT and didnt realize i was going to be throwing out any supposed attemt at a definition for the term "torrential downpour" ... all i have to say is HOLY CRAP. and i am wondering how safe are we from lightning vs being in the "position". also do not pitch a hh stock tarp with one side anywhere near the height of the tarp ridge becuase while a little rain will roll off, 5 gallons every 20 seconds will fill it up like a bathtub. instantly. fortunately i had some extra rope that was NOT in the bear box and tied a new ridge line for it. also staked it down to the ground instead of a tree uphill. this storm is INSANE. should have brought the jrb 11x10 instead i think. hammock ropes stretch and slip in such rain too and a poncho doesnt work if your arms are raised and someone has 3 fire hoses on you at once. anyway sorry for the ramble i am on my cellphone
    i have posted on hammock forums when hanging in bad weather from my blackberry cell phoneneo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad
    Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    i have posted on hammock forums when hanging in bad weather from my blackberry cell phoneneo
    I'm not hanging in bad weather, I'm at work, but you've motivated me to try posting from my blkberry!

As for rain: I've not been out in heavy rain, but I use the (out of stock) 'Neo tarp', so I should be OK!

The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jaiden View Post
    9 x 9 tarp is the smallest tarp i would ever carryneo
    the matrix has you

While hiking on a recent "June '08 Parade O'Fools" two-day jaunt in the Massachusetts Berkshire Mountains near CT, we encountered an hour plus of torrential downpour/lightening conditions during a late afternoon.

A couple of hour break in the storm allowed tarps and hammocks to be hung in relative dryness. Well, once tucked in at night, the lightening and dumping rain continued until 2:30 a.m.

Instead of bringing along an 8x10 tarp (even with the [this time accurate] forecast), decided to see how well my poncho would work as a tarp. Luckily, there was absolutely no leaking or wetness on the hammock. Also, luckily, there was no wind whipping the rain around.

If I had been hanging up in the NH White Mountains under similar conditions, I would most definitely have brought a real tarp, since the mountains typically create their own wind blowing downhill at night.

But in the case of heavy rain without heavy winds, a tarp seems to work just fine.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast