Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    poncho liners
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images

first overnight hang, sorta

I've taken some killer naps in the hammock, but I had'nt gotten the chance to sleep in it overnight till last night.

I live in an apartment, so I dont really have a yard to hang my hammock in. So I picked up some big eyelet screws and found a couple of studs in my living room, wuala! Instant hammock stand. With the exception of some minor drywall damage, the installation went pretty smoothly. (Landlord is not going to be happy)

Once i got settled in, I slept like like a log the whole night through. I almost didnt want to get out of the hammock this morning to go to work. I think I might have to reset one of my eyelet screws because it shifted some in the night. Its a good thing it didnt shift itself out of the wall. Over all a very good experience.

I call it a 'sorta' overnight hang because obviously i was inside, and didnt have to deal with all of the mama nature stuff that really makes camping fun. As soon as I spend a night outside in the hammock, I think I'll feel a little more legitimate.

Just thought I'd share a little positive hammock experience with the forum folks. As always, many thanks to everyone for the shared knowledge and hospitality.

Hammock
    Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Stock.
    Images
    Congrats.... thats a hang in my book!

welcome to the world of comfortable camping.

Matt B.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" -BR-.

Hammock
    WarBonnet Blackbird 1.1
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Edge
    Insulation
    4 JRB quilts.
    Suspension
    Home made job.
    That was a different trip report! I don’t think anyone has set their hammock up in their living room, quite like you did, and made a trip report about it! Let’s hope your landlord is a keen hammocker and will understand. Photos of the eyelets in the wall and the hammock set up with you in it would have been good.

Anyway, I quite liked your report, it’s different and a little bit funny at the same time. Thanks for posting!

Hammock
    ENO singlenest
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    poncho liners
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Hey guys thanks for commenting. Brucie, I will include pics with my next trip report for sure, that is sound advice. Its funny that you say no one has ever done a trip report like that one before. I guess you have to have alot of noob-hammocker excitement to post a trip report about your living room.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Leigh's Uq /UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Woopie/Dutch
    Loved the report made my day. Would love to have more trip reports if you get time to go out again (laughing) Thank you.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Std
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Line/Strap
    I'd kill to be able to hang in my condo. Not to sure how the wife would feel about it but one day I am going to figure it out.

Hammock
    DIY whipped end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    40* or 20* Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Great report! A word of advice about the holes..... When I was in college it seemed that we had all kinds of holes to fill every time a lease was up and we were moving. We found that toothpaste works great to fill those holes. It dries and you never know there was a hole in the wall.... Just be sure that it's not where someone else will want to hang something!!!!
    Progress is man's ability to complicate simplicity.
    -Thor Heyerdahl

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    long threads on those eyebolts, don't hang from a door frame or window frame (one member way back got a good conk on the head by pulling a door down- he was pretty glad though, cause his daughter was also in the hammock with him, and he took the door and she was fine) and of course, find the centre of the stud.

Congrats on your first hang!
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    ENO singlenest
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    poncho liners
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by titanium_hiker View Post
    long threads on those eyebolts, don't hang from a door frame or window frame (one member way back got a good conk on the head by pulling a door down- he was pretty glad though, cause his daughter was also in the hammock with him, and he took the door and she was fine) and of course, find the centre of the stud.

Congrats on your first hang!
    Good advice, and interesting story thanks. It was actually kind of difficult to find a good place for those eyelet screws because I have some walls framed with aluminum studs, and one thats concrete block. I think the one screw that shifted did so because the hammock is pulling a little sideways on it, instead of straight out from the wall. Im not sure what is the best way to anchor an eyelet to concrete block.

Quote Originally Posted by SADLK View Post
    Great report! A word of advice about the holes..... When I was in college it seemed that we had all kinds of holes to fill every time a lease was up and we were moving. We found that toothpaste works great to fill those holes. It dries and you never know there was a hole in the wall.... Just be sure that it's not where someone else will want to hang something!!!!
    thanks for the tip I might try that out. toothpaste is probably alot cheaper than the real deal drywall putty stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by D Ring View Post
    Loved the report made my day. Would love to have more trip reports if you get time to go out again (laughing) Thank you.
    I'm hoping to have time for an overnighter next weekend. If so, a trip report will follow promptly. I might include pictures this time.

Hammock
    WarBonnet Blackbird 1.1
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Edge
    Insulation
    4 JRB quilts.
    Suspension
    Home made job.
    ****I'm hoping to have time for an overnighter next weekend. If so, a trip report will follow promptly. I might include pictures this time.

No, no, no, no, nooo! Pictures, pictures, we want pictures!

I hope you have time and have a good first “outdoor” hang!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast