Tarp
    HG Cuben,Warbonnet
    Insulation
    CaveCreek, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FatDaddy View Post
    Since the hang will be in April we can expect the snowy goodness should be wrapping up by then, but it is Wisconsin... To keep up with posts as we move forward I have a list of attendees so far:

FatDaddy
    RBDodger
    Wiscoman
    SADLK
    Canteen Boy
    CryoftheWild

With strong "maybes" from
    Shug
    OMS
    rbinhood
    fronkey

Canteen boy, I think pooling together for a Saturday night dinner might be a good idea, since Roger and I are scouting ahead we were thinking if everyone wanted to pitch in maybe we could haul out some red meat on Saturday night for steak and fire... Pretty sure we can keep it reasonable for the long drivers like Fronkey and Shug and still throw down some tasty grub on a spirit of fellowship. More on menu as time gets closer.

I would like to talk a little gear while we are out there. I have been doing this a while, but find every time we go somewhere there is a gadget or gizmo that would make my back feel better...and Daddy likes that.

Before we get much closer how "experienced" are you guys. I have been backpacking since I was a kid, and hanging in hammocks for a couple of years now. I am no expert but I know what works for me. The thing I learned in the Army was you will carry what you THINK you need, you just need to change how you think. My pace is slow, 2mph average, but I can go all day with 60 pounds. Yes I said 60...I know there are those who would NEVER take that kind of weight, but Daddy likes to eat (I put the FAT in Daddy).
    Put me down as a possible.

As far as "gear talk" goes, that's inevitable at these gatherings. It's always fun.

HY
    “Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared” - Jack Handy

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I probably won't know if Kiba and I can make it until a couple weeks before the hang. But, it's on the calendar and I am for sure going to try and make this shindig!

Fronkey

Hammock
    DIY whipped end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    40* or 20* Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I have been camping since I was in fifth grade with my boy scout troop! Until recently every night had been spent on the ground. I went out this last weekend and absolutely loved every minute of it. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's gear and sharing ideas. It looks like there will be a lot of experienced hangers at this outing and I hope to learn a lot...
    Progress is man's ability to complicate simplicity.
    -Thor Heyerdahl

Hammock
    Diy rip stop
    Tarp
    DIY Ripstop hex
    Insulation
    diy climashld UQTQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FatDaddy View Post
    Hey Aaron, I am heading to Iowa this weekend, to do some Eagle Scout stuff. What do you look like for March for a scouting trip to find a good spot? Roger and I are thinking if we sneak in a few weekends in March we can chop up a good supply of firewood and tarp it so we have dry wood for the april hang.

I am free the weekends of March 3 and 24. Let me know we can meet up in the woods and find us a spot for what look like 8-12 hammocks.
    I should be open to scout anytime. Depending on when, I know butwhat2 (Joe) would probably like to join also. We are looking forward to it!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    I'm going to try and make this... If its alright my wife might come along too.
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    WB BBXLC and DIY
    Tarp
    UP
    Insulation
    DOWN
    Suspension
    30 DEGREES
    Been camping as far back as I can remember. Backpacking really started though when i was 14 and would run out into the woods up north 10 miles or so from the family cabin with a pack full of food and try to survive while hiding from the "pretend" ranger who was looking for me. Only 2 years in the hammock now but not in any hurry to go back to the ground. I have been teaching backpacking, canoe camping, and winter camping courses on my own for about 2 years and 3 with UW-Milwaukee. I love seeing how creative people can be with gear and sharing stories by the fire.
    Owner and guide at nowoutdoors.org
    www.meetup.com/Wilderness-Adventure-Group/
    https://www.facebook.com/NickAtNowOutdoors/

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    Foam Pad
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    UNOFFICIAL OFFICIAL LIST
    FatDaddy
    RBDodger
    Wiscoman
    SADLK
    Canteen Boy
    CryoftheWild
    ButWhat2
    FatDaddy's Daughter...trail name up to you guys

With strong "maybes" from
    Shug
    OMS
    rbinhood
    fronkey and Kiba
    Hangin' Yankee
    HikinDad and HikinWife...lol
    DUX
    Skygzr
    Last edited by FatDaddy; 02-24-2012 at 10:34.
    We never fail when we try to do our duty, we always fail when we neglect to do it. -- Robert Baden-Powell

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    Foam Pad
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    I added most of you to my friends list so I can Private Message as things get closer, if you ever need to email outside of here use my home email: [email protected]
    We never fail when we try to do our duty, we always fail when we neglect to do it. -- Robert Baden-Powell

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    Foam Pad
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    hikin'Dad if you can get Hikin Mom to come along, I say bring her, I don't live far and so I might let my 18 year old daughter camp with us too. She wants to try it out.

As for the maybe's we won't finalize anything until probably the weekend before so as long as you keep us posted.

I had kind of hoped that Roger and I would meet up with Aaron and a couple others, but it looks like we might be heading straight into SHINDIG territory ... that's a ho-down...um... party... I am not fluent in Yankee...DEM DER BOYS BE IN DER WOODS YADERHAEY DONCHYAKNOW

Hammock
    Hammocka Doubble hammock (so far)
    Tarp
    1.96$ tarp (Cheap)
    Insulation
    2 sleeping bags
    Suspension
    cinch straps

Talking

i gave the dates to my boss to give me off so its in his hands know he ruined my last hang so he owes me. as far as going out and scouting and making wood im in i'll get in touch with wiscoman and let him know when i am off work so that we can make a day of it. hang safe everybody and stay safe.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast