Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    I agree with Billy Bob's assessment; snake skins tend to make setup and takedown easier for hammock and tarp (plus I can leave the tarp in the skin for stargazing on iffy nights and set it up the rest of the way quickly if I wake up hearing thunder). That said, I don't bother with skins on simple, netless hammocks with clip-on suspension like my winter HAAB . Still have the tarp in a skin, though.

Images
    I was just taking down my hammock in a bit of a hurry when I remembered one more thing. I think the skins make it a bit easier to keep all the ropes separate and untangled, at least for me. And the more ropes ( i.e. long JRB/SWT types) the more the benefit.

Having said that, the tarp/hamm I just took down did not have skins, and I have learned a trick or two about handling the ropes and keeping them untangled, so it wasn't really difficult to get things wrapped up. Although, it was a "diamond" style Claytor tarp, so minimal ropes. But it would have been even quicker with the skins, particularly if the wind and rain had been blowing.

But honestly, on a short trip with a benign weather forecast, I can see the argument for using neither skins nor stuff sack, and just wrapping the things up and stuffing the hamock in the pack and the tarp in a pocket.

Although on my previous week long trip, using the skins, I just strapped the tarp/skins to the top of my pack along with some other gear, and wrapped the hammock/skins in my rolled up CCF pad which was strapped to the bottom of my pack. It is hard to argue with how well that worked, which was great.

I guess it is all just whatever you like, either skins or no skins will work just fine. Not to mention a BB sack.

Images
    I don't have a problem putting a tarp in an over sized stuff sack and keeping the lines from tangling. When I hear how wonderful skins are and how it solves all the problems with stowing and hanging tarps I often wonder just what folks are doing that makes it so difficult.

First off, you have to use a stuff sack that is big enough such that it isn't a struggle just to get the tarp back in it and it helps to use guyline that isn't prone to tangling. I let the stuff sack get further compressed when I put it in the side pocket of my pack. I generally use a GoLite Breeze pack I have had for sometime and put the tarp, a small umbrella, a pack cover, and a plastic trash compactor bag in that same pocket.

Second, I start the stuffing process when the tarp is still tied to the trees. I remove all the stakes and untie one of the ridgelines. I coil that and stuff it in the stuff sack. I start stuffing fabric as I walk to the other tree; pausing, inspecting and loosely coiling symmetrical pairs of guyline as I come to them. I grab those loose coils with some fabric and stuff them in the stuff sack to stabilize them and isolate them from other lines. When I finish with the fabric I untie, coil and stuff the remaining guyline. Then I put the stakes with their own protective pouch into the stuff sack and close it off. I don't believe in stowing stakes separately from tarps or tents, I only had to watch other folks not have their stakes with them to learn that lesson.

When I get ready to pitch it, I take the stakes out and tie off the ridgeline that is on top of everything else in the stuff sack. Then I walk to the other tree, grab the other ridgeline when it comes out of the stuff sack and tie it off. The guylines should just fall out. It is so simple I don't see how it could be any easier. It is very rare that I have tangles when the guylines fall out of the stuff sack, but I inspect the lines and make sure there are no kinks or knots when I put them in the stuff sack.
    Youngblood AT2000

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    I don't have a problem putting a tarp in an over sized stuff sack and keeping the lines from tangling. When I hear how wonderful skins are and how it solves all the problems with stowing and hanging tarps I often wonder just what folks are doing that makes it so difficult.

First off, you have to use a stuff sack that is big enough such that it isn't a struggle just to get the tarp back in it and it helps to use guyline that isn't prone to tangling. I let the stuff sack get further compressed when I put it in the side pocket of my pack. I generally use a GoLite Breeze pack I have had for sometime and put the tarp, a small umbrella, a pack cover, and a plastic trash compactor bag in that same pocket.

Second, I start the stuffing process when the tarp is still tied to the trees. I remove all the stakes and untie one of the ridgelines. I coil that and stuff it in the stuff sack. I start stuffing fabric as I walk to the other tree; pausing, inspecting and loosely coiling symmetrical pairs of guyline as I come to them. I grab those loose coils with some fabric and stuff them in the stuff sack to stabilize them and isolate them from other lines. When I finish with the fabric I untie, coil and stuff the remaining guyline. Then I put the stakes with their own protective pouch into the stuff sack and close it off. I don't believe in stowing stakes separately from tarps or tents, I only had to watch other folks not have their stakes with them to learn that lesson.

When I get ready to pitch it, I take the stakes out and tie off the ridgeline that is on top of everything else in the stuff sack. Then I walk to the other tree, grab the other ridgeline when it comes out of the stuff sack and tie it off. The guylines should just fall out. It is so simple I don't see how it could be any easier. It is very rare that I have tangles when the guylines fall out of the stuff sack, but I inspect the lines and make sure there are no kinks or knots when I put them in the stuff sack.

I'll have to give that a try. It sounds like it could be one of those duhhh moments. Hopefully it will help with bulk in the pack. I'm working now to get that down.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle Hammock
    Tarp
    Claytor
    [QUOTE=6 feet over;66631]How can the 'pot roast' breathe? Only the outside layer will dry, just like mesh skins.

You marlinspike the 'pot roast' with a loop every 6-8 inches or so and you don't cinch it down too tight. Wicks away a lot more moisture than a snakeskin.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    I don't have a problem putting a tarp in an over sized stuff sack and keeping the lines from tangling. When I hear how wonderful skins are and how it solves all the problems with stowing and hanging tarps I often wonder just what folks are doing that makes it so difficult...............
    I'm just saying that handling all of the ropes seems a bit easier and quicker with my skins, not that there is a real problem or real difficult doing it another way. Like I said, I also like to release the hammock or tarp from the stakes and from one end of the tree, and just start rolling it up towards the other tree. As I come to each guy line, I will fold them into the fabric one at a time, so that they are rolled up in different sections of the tarp or hammock, this seems to do away with any tangling problems. It works great, but not as slick or fast as my skins. But it works good enough that if I didn't already have skins, I might have to re-think buying them.

Images
    The big advantage I see to the skins, is just hanging the tarp without getting it out of the skins. I tend to do that a lot. Setting it up and folding half the tarp over isn't a big deal either.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    The big advantage I see to the skins, is just hanging the tarp without getting it out of the skins. I tend to do that a lot. Setting it up and folding half the tarp over isn't a big deal either.
    Yep, that's one thing I really like about skins on a tarp.
    I often string it up & leave it skinned if it's clear.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    Yep, that's one thing I really like about skins on a tarp.
    I often string it up & leave it skinned if it's clear.
    Less UV damage also.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    Unless you carry a wet tarp like a flag, it'll be wet until you hang it again...no matter HOW you carry it....I pack my tarp LAST, hang it FIRST...that way I have a dry place to pack or unpack setting up or breaking down...I use the snakeskins on my hammock only...to reduce bulk and keep it dry...then when I set it up I have a dry place to put my sleepy bag.....

Hammocking for 10 years now, and never had a hammock body get wet....EVER...and more on that point: I tend to hammock camp out of my Kayak.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast