Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    Claytor Jungle Hammock
    Tarp
    Claytor

Snake Skin Doubter

I dunno about snake skins. To me enclosing a musty hammock in a snake skin just as your breaking camp isn't the optimal thing to do. You protect it from dirt but don't give the moisture a chance to evaporate and give the hammock a chance to breathe.

I lash up mine (Claytor Jungle) like a pot roast, using a piece of paracord. Just use a string of marlinspike hitches. Takes the same amount of time, reduces the bulk, but lets the hammock breathe. Also cheaper, and of course the paracord comes in handy for other things.

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Cat cut tarp
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Images
    HI
    I'm with you on this one. To me if the weather has been wet or it has been very damp with condensation or dew, to then roll up my hammock within the tarp and pack it away for the next night (assuming I am on a multi day hike) then to open it up in camp that afternoon and all of the hammock is wet too. Just sounds like a bad idea.
    Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
    Winnie the Pooh

My Photo Album
    My youtube videos

Proud member since May 2007

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunn parker View Post
    HI
    I'm with you on this one. To me if the weather has been wet or it has been very damp with condensation or dew, to then roll up my hammock within the tarp and pack it away for the next night (assuming I am on a multi day hike) then to open it up in camp that afternoon and all of the hammock is wet too. Just sounds like a bad idea.
    I never put the hammock and skins together. Most people dont either unless maybe their using a Hennessy with stock tarp in which case that is a bad idea. I use seperate skins for each. Works great for me.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I don't think it's as much of a problem as you might think, but you're right that there are some things to keep in mind.
    First, like FanaticFringer said, I would always be in the habit of storing the hammock separate from the tarp.
    Second, it's going to be a good idea to give anything that was put away wet/damp, a chance to air out & dry as soon as the opportunity comes, what ever you're stowing the wet stuff in (stuff sack, blackbishiop sack, etc).

Even though most snake skins are waterproof silnylon, they aren't "air tight" because they aren't sealed at the ends, so they will allow for a "little" air circulation, but still not enough to justify leaving a wet or even damp hammock or tarp stored in them for any long period.

I started sharing an idea a couple years ago on the hammockcamping yahoo group of making snake skins for the tarp out of netting material so that if a wet tarp was put in an outside, mesh pack pocket, assuming that it didn't continue to rain as a person started hiking that day, a fair amount of the moister in the tarp would be able to evaporate.

Headchange4U did an excellent article about making mesh snake skins for the tarp with an additional idea that he had of adding storage pockets on each end.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=1408
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    I don't think it's as much of a problem as you might think, but you're right that there are some things to keep in mind.
    First, like FanaticFringer said, I would always be in the habit of storing the hammock separate from the tarp.
    Second, it's going to be a good idea to give anything that was put away wet/damp, a chance to air out & dry as soon as the opportunity comes, what ever you're stowing the wet stuff in (stuff sack, blackbishiop sack, etc).

Even though most snake skins are waterproof silnylon, they aren't "air tight" because they aren't sealed at the ends, so they will allow for a "little" air circulation, but still not enough to justify leaving a wet or even damp hammock or tarp stored in them for any long period.

I started sharing an idea a couple years ago on the hammockcamping yahoo group of making snake skins for the tarp out of netting material so that if a wet tarp was put in an outside, mesh pack pocket, assuming that it didn't continue to rain as a person started hiking that day, a fair amount of the moister in the tarp would be able to evaporate.

Headchange4U did an excellent article about making mesh snake skins for the tarp with an additional idea that he had of adding storage pockets on each end.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=1408

I've made a couple of sets of no-seeum snakeskins. They work well.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    my skins are not waterproof at all. They are a very light polyester fabric but not treated. So far I have wrapped the tarp up with the hammock in part to make sure the hammock is waterprotected by the tarp. But I have opened it up and dried it out after I get home. The one time things really got put away wet it was pouring rain and I was cutting out of the site early.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Quote:
    Originally Posted by slowhike
    "I started sharing an idea a couple years ago on the hammockcamping yahoo group of making snake skins for the tarp out of netting material so that if a wet tarp was put in an outside, mesh pack pocket, assuming that it didn't continue to rain as a person started hiking that day, a fair amount of the moister in the tarp would be able to evaporate."

Good idea, but I wonder why use snakeskins at all - even mesh ones? I just put the wet gear (i.e., tarp and/or hammock) in outside mesh pack pocket(s). Assuming it doesn't continue to rain, I dry the gear out by unfurling it on branches at during the day during break times.

So, it would be helpful for me to understand the advantages of using snakeskins.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slowhike
    "I started sharing an idea a couple years ago on the hammockcamping yahoo group of making snake skins for the tarp out of netting material so that if a wet tarp was put in an outside, mesh pack pocket, assuming that it didn't continue to rain as a person started hiking that day, a fair amount of the moister in the tarp would be able to evaporate."

Good idea, but I wonder why use snakeskins at all - even mesh ones? I just put the wet gear (i.e., tarp and/or hammock) in outside mesh pack pocket(s). Assuming it doesn't continue to rain, I dry the gear out by unfurling it on branches at during the day during break times.

So, it would be helpful for me to understand the advantages of using snakeskins.
    I dont want my tarp/hammock to touch the ground and get dirty or muddy and I feel the snakeskins help prevent that. Definetely not needed but they work for me.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Cat cut tarp
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Images
    I made a couple of snake skins out of some netting I can get over here. I use them to wrap up the tarp only but even so if I roll up the tarp and slide down the mesh snake skins there is no way the inside rolls of the tarp will become dry unless at a lunch break I take the tarp and hang it out to dry.

So I think for the tarp only it would not matter if I use skins or a blackbishop sack, unless I take the tarp out at lunch along my hike the tarp will stay wet.
    Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
    Winnie the Pooh

My Photo Album
    My youtube videos

Proud member since May 2007

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast