Hammock
    HH
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

need help

So i went winter camping for the first time last weekend. I Have a HH and i made a under cover for it and put a mylar sheet in that. I was sleeping in a down 15deg bag with a 40deg bag under me. i was fine wen the temp drooped to the teens the first night. The 2 night was a lot colder like -9. and that night my feet go really cold. i had 2 pare of good thick socks on. i have to say i am a really really hot sleeper. So i just need some help with what you might think would help me out. I don't have the funds for a UQ right now. I was looking at getting down booties.
    Last edited by Crawfish; 02-18-2012 at 14:12.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    A jacket or vest around your footbox or feet helps in real deep cold.
    My feet are usually my warmest part.
    Hope this helps.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Down booties might be an option as is putting a piece of CCF (closed cell foam, the blue mats that can be picked up at places like WalMart) in your bag and under your feet. Was anything else cold on you or just the piggies?
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post
    So i went winter camping for the first time last weekend. I Have a HH and i made a under cover for it and put a miler sheet in that. I was sleeping in a down 15deg bag with a 40deg bag under me. i was fine wen the temp drooped to the teens the first night. The 2 night was a lot colder like -9. and that night my feet go really cold. i had 2 pare of good thick socks on. i have to say i am a really really hot sleeper. So i just need some help with what you might think would help me out. I don't have the funds for a UQ right now. I was looking at getting down booties.
    What is a "miler" sheet?

Sounds like you are doing OK considering all, and considering minus 9! Did you sleep on top of that 40F bag or was it down in your under cover? If sleeping directly on it, is it a down bag or synthetic( won't compress as much as down) If in the UC, was it fairly snug against your back without being tight enough to compress the loft?

As for the feet, were the 2 pairs of socks nice and loose? It seems like even the slightest tightness gives many folks cold feet. The down booties work for lots of folks.

Or maybe a ccf sit pad under your feet, or maybe even inside your sleeping bag foot box?

Have you ever tried a vapor barrier? A roomy bread sack next to your skin- or over the thinnest possible liner sock- and covered with a loose wool sock- or even no sock if inside a sleeping bag foot box- can do wonders.

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    What is a "miler" sheet?
    Perhaps, "mylar"? At least that's how I interpreted it.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    HH
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    thanks Shug, you think i would of thought of that after watching all of your videos. keep them coming.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Toxaway 2QZQ doors
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    DH cinch buckles
    Are there moisture problems when you use a space blanket between a down UQ and hammock?

Thanks!

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    As for the feet, were the 2 pairs of socks nice and loose? It seems like even the slightest tightness gives many folks cold feet. The down booties work for lots of folks.
    This. If your socks are too tight, it will cut off circulation to the part of your body furthest from the heart. Down booties fit more loosely, allowing your blood to circulate.

If there isn't any heat pumping to your feet, there is no heat for the insulation to keep contained. My feet have always gotten colder with two layers of thick socks rather than one.
    Mike, Backcountry Mentor
    https://backcountrymentor.com
    Check me out on YouTube!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhqpe2xIWBXRVtpB5dxAJA

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Syb View Post
    Perhaps, "mylar"? At least that's how I interpreted it.
    DOH! Very likely. I should have guessed that!

Quote Originally Posted by potneck View Post
    Are there moisture problems when you use a space blanket between a down UQ and hammock?

Thanks!
    Actually that is a really good point/question. With no insulation on the outside of the sb, condensation seems likely.

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by potneck View Post

Thanks!
    Mylar being non-breathable will collect condensation. I haven't used one between the UQ and hammock but have under a CCF. Of course some people don't experience much condensation (I'm not one of them ). I have the same issue with CCF pads, but it's never been a "problem". I didn't sleep directly on the pad though - I use a SB as a SB so it's between me and the pad.
    Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

• + New Posts