DIY whipped end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    40* or 20* Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I have no problem laying on my side or even stomach in my hammock. Maybe the HH just isn't for you.... Check out Shug's video on the snipe hammock by Wilderness Logic. It's what I designed my DIY hammock after and it's super comfortable. And I'm a very restless sleeper and was concerned about sleeping on my back, but I don't have to worry now....
    Progress is man's ability to complicate simplicity.
    -Thor Heyerdahl

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    I had a heck of a time too when I started. Here is a thread on my trials with a hammock:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=19622

At first like you, I could only get a few hours of sleep before I gave up and went back to my bed. I persisted. You can too. Try all kinds of hammock styles, you'll find something. You might like to try a bridge. I did and found that I could sleep on my side and on my stomach. After I knew I could sleep in a bridge, I trained myself to use gathered ends. Keep at it, it is so worth it once you know that you can get a good night's rest in a hammock.

Good luck,

S

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    You will no sooner fall asleep and sleep well in a cold hammock than you will in a cold bed, either one that stays cold, or if it were possible, became cold during the night.

So, maybe you want to borrow a good UQ. Or in the backyard, jerry rig a folded over indoor quilt/comforter with some cord to simulate an UQ.

Trouble is, we see comfortable $30 hammocks and scale the expense of an UQ to that, and we resist spending. I 'd suggest comparing the cost, instead, to that of a quality pad -- ground dwellers are spending $125-$175 for no-compromise ones -- or to the cost of a good mattress and box spring.

Unless you are warm enough and comfortable on that pad, you will have to wait for 70F-80F ambients temps for that aspect of comfort not to keep you awake or awaken you.

Hammock
    HH Explorer, Exped, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge,MacCat Mic
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Never give up. I can't sleep on my back in my bed but I have no problem doing so in my hammock.
    Same here, I love being partially on my back with legs resting against the side, something that cannot even be done in a bed.

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite Teal/Black
    Tarp
    GG Emergency Shltr
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS standard kit
    My first night in a hammock was uncomfortable. The hammock was too taut (not enough sag) and like you, I am not a back sleeper. Add a case of cold butt syndrome from inadequate bottom insulation and it was a problem.

Besides all the useful comments about underquilts and bottom insulation I won't rehash, I had to learn how to get comfortable in my hammock. I hung in my yard. All the time. Every day I could spare a few minutes. I learned to get comfortable in it. I went from short minutes to longer naps. That level of comfort helped me with my hammock anxiety. As Fronkey says, maybe it's not for everyone, but try to get comfortable in it under optimum conditions before making yourself miserable on the trail.
    --
    www.buttinasling.com
    Now carrying the Mini Tattoo Stove!
    Light weight. Low prices. Great gear.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies n toggles
    I was plenty warm lastnight so it had little to do with temp.

I was in my backyard and my backyard is most likely considered "wild" to many of you, except nearly void of trees. Awefully quiet out here in the country. So it wasn't that.

I recently had the 2QZQ mod 4 done and really like how it opened it up. Didn't have the claustraphobia issues either. Just woke up, couldn't get comfy on my back anymore, and laid there till I decided to head to my bed.

Hammock is still set-up tonight and even though we're sposed to get 4-5 inches of snow, I'm going for it. The worst that can happen is I'll get un-comfy and end up in the house again.

Thanks all!

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    when I first began hammocking, I had a pretty ordinary bed.
    My hammock was AMAZING. Then I got a comfy bed, and hammocking just wasn't that amazing... but it still beats sleeping on the ground.

When you say "couldn't get comfy" what particularly was the issue?
    Were you sliding down to the exit? (hang the foot end higher)
    Were your shoulders being squeezed? (don't crank the suspension tight- a 30 degree angle is what you want)
    was your pad crinkled?

Or something else?

are you using a hammock stand?

could you post pics of your set up?
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    heres a tip i discovered with some time in hammocks.

the only hammock i can lay in on my back is the ENO or similar, others i lay slightly rotated. but when that gets old, i sleep at the 11 or 1 o clock position (picture your nose being the arm on a clock, on your back is 12). it cocks me off to the side enough to make a big difference.

if i can suggest, maybe try a simple hammock like an ENO DN or one from the vendors on here and see what that does for you. in my mind, hammocks that are "fitted" can be hard to find "the spot" in whereas the ENO and similar are "one size fits all". plus its a cheap way to know what fits you and if you are just one of those that cant do hammocks. and you get a spare hammock in the process!!!

and if Diva's mom can hang pretty much impromptu the whole weekend in VA, anyone can. just takes some playing
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Just keep trying there is a learning curve and as hh user as well they give me a hard time at first as well. I went n got an eno and tried that till I got the hand of how to position my body to find that sweet spot.
    Try a day time nap so you don't have to use that pad. Pads are tough on a new hammocker because they tAke a lot more effort to get them function and stay comfortable at the same time
    That bubble pad was designed for the Deep jungle which has a sleeve to hold the pad outside the hammock. Try using a thermarest or an air mat you might already have and try using it inflated at different amounts. The less air the more it will stay in place. Also blue yoga mats from wal mart work very well and won't cost to much if the hammock isn't for you

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies n toggles
    I think I came to the end of my hammocking attempts lastnight. Someone earlier said it's not for everyone and I reckon I fall into that category.

I again was plenty warm. Only fell asleep for 30 minutes or so then woke up and couldn't find a spot that felt right.

I got to thinking back how many bad nights I've spent in a tent on an air mattress. Looks like to me, tenting is my way as I can only remember one as I drank too much

Thanks for all your help and encouragement.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast