Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies n toggles

Should I keep trying?

In an attempt to get comfy in this hammock thing, I tried again in my back yard lastnight. After being really tired, I figured this was my best yet attempt at getting some rest in a hammock. I slept 3-1/2 hours relatively comfy then the comfort was lost. Had to go back to my bed.
    I can't sleep on my back in my very comfy bed and I reckon I can't in my hammock either. I've read where peeps sleep on their sides and even on their stomachs in a hammock but I can't do it.
    It was 35 lastnight and I never did get cold. I had the Hennessy Double Bubble Radiant pad or shouild I call it 'Double Trouble' as it never stayed under me, along with a Nalgene bottle to keep me warm.
    Had the 2QZQ mod 4 done recently hoping this would open up the HH enough for my claustraphobia issues. It worked but still no sleep.
    Been shopping for backpacking tents now.

Do I give up or keep tryin? Benedryl really helps me sleep, maybe buy a quart?

Hammock
    HH Deluxe/ DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HH Hex/ WB Superfl
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Never Surrender!

I have found that pads tend to take some of the comfort away. Maybe there is someone in your area that can let you try an UQ. Also play with the angle of your suspension and different distances between trees.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Offering fine and unique outdoor products for the serious hiker and hammocker.
    Available at the following retailers:Tier Gear, Dutchware

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    +1 to an UQ being most comfortable.

A bridge hammock may help. I never sleep on my back for long, except in my JRB BMBH. I sleep on my side, and toss'n'turn most of the time wherever I sleep.

However, I sleep on the ground a lot. A NeoAir (or other inflatable) makes for comfy side & back sleeping. My pack is lighter when I go to ground, too (Although some get lighter in the trees).

Don't tie yourself to the ground or to the trees just because you like the idea (been there). Use the setup and technique that gets you into the woods most - whichever that may be.

Images
    You really need a hammock that will allow you to lay on your side.

I'd also get a netless hammock to help with your claustrophobia.
    Get someone like PapaSmurf to make you a large bugnet for summer
    you can hang the net way above the normal RL.

hth

my 2 cents

Hammock
    DIY 1.5S
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Mamba
    Insulation
    EE Revel., HG Inc.
    Suspension
    Hoverboard System
    Images
    It looks like you were comfortable for a while. What changed? Was it the pad sliding around? Definitely see if there is someone nearby that will lend you an UQ to try out. I'm a side sleeper in bed but find laying on my back in the hammock the most comfortable position for me. Maybe sleeping on your back in a hammock would work?

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    To be honest, hammocks aren't for everyone. Sure there are a lot of us here who love it, but sometimes they just don't work for people. There is absolutely nothing wrong with sleeping in a tent and as long as a person gets out into the woods, I'm happy to share a fire with them.

With that said, an under quilt works wonders and will solve your cold problem. A good idea is to find some fellow hangers in your area that want to do a day hike or so and they can kind of show you the ropes. (How to get comfy, under quilts etc.)

Fronkey

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Give it some more back yard tries. Make sure to try your foot end higher, and that you have a hammock that is wide enough that you can roll over and move freely. I can't imagine that I will ever be able to sleep on my back, and thankfully I don't in a hammock either...I sleep on my side, or half belly sleep. Keep working on it a bit more to see if you find your "ahh moment", if not..then don't worry, I will also still share a fire with you.

Hammock
    TTTM single
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    rope and straps
    Quote Originally Posted by catalyst View Post
    It looks like you were comfortable for a while. What changed? Was it the pad sliding around? Definitely see if there is someone nearby that will lend you an UQ to try out. I'm a side sleeper in bed but find laying on my back in the hammock the most comfortable position for me. Maybe sleeping on your back in a hammock would work?
    I did exactly the same, in bed I'm a side sleeper had not been able to sleep reasonable time on my back, but found myself in hammock sleeping most comfortable on my back.
    Beds are essentially flat surface, but we humans are not made with flat backs
    Ride fast
    Live fun

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by catalyst View Post
    Same question: what changed? So you got 3 1/2 hours comfortably? So does that mean you are able to sleep on your back in the hammock?

If not, can you not sleep on your side, at least fetal, in the HH Explorer? I can. I think I had to play around in it a while before figuring out exactly how. If on my side, my top side knee is usually not in as much fetal as my down side knee. It is a bit more towards the foot, decreases side "torque".

Any way, you might be giving up a little soon. But the back yard can be a miserable spot for me to try to sleep. I can rarely pull off an entire night.

I might be lucky that I was introduced to the HH and Super Shelter in the midst of a week long trip to the Wind river Mountains. The 1st night truly sucked (nearly froze to death) but after that I got to experience that profound deep sleep of a hammock. The fact that I was exhausted at the end of each days hike probably helped to overcome the strangeness of being in a bottom entry HH. So I would pass out quickly and usually not wake up for 8+ hours. I've never slept that good anywhere, much less while back packing.

So don't go too much by your back yard experience. Remember, you are trying to sleep in a strange new environment, and the whole time your bed is calling to you. You might want to try some ear plugs also.

Also remember that, if backpacking, what you are making a choice between is not your bed vs this weird new concept of trying to sleep while hanging from trees. It is the hammock and well ventilated tarp vs a pad on rocky, rooty, sloping ground. Often in a small tent with a snoring, stinking hiking buddy.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 02-18-2012 at 23:05.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Never give up. I can't sleep on my back in my bed but I have no problem doing so in my hammock.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast