WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

question about weight ratings for fabric

Hey guys, just a quick question; when it comes to weight ratings for fabrics , does hammock size come into play? I would think that a larger hammock would spread the weight around more, thus a lighter fabric would have a higher rating if used in this way---what do you think? Also, what would you rate a single layer of 1.5 ripstop? What about a double layer, one of 1.5, and the other of 1.1? Would it matter which one is on top? Anyway, just a couple of off the wall questions to think about---thanks for the help!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    diy or Dream
    Tarp
    MacCat delx
    Insulation
    diy & HG
    Suspension
    whoopies & Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    What about a double layer, one of 1.5, and the other of 1.1? Would it matter which one is on top?
    i would think that you'd want the 1.1 to be the layer that you lay on. my understanding is that most likely the 1.1 would have more stretch to it than 1.5, and personally i would want the stretchier fabric to take the weight first. the rest i can't comment on, don't know.....

Hammock
    DIY (BASHIN)
    Tarp
    DIY 'winter' tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Images
    I made a double layer with 1.9 and 1.1. I put the 1.9 on the inside. I figured the heavier fabric would bear most of the weight and the lighter would just handle anything it didn't.

What we need is a smart physics expert to tell us how this really works.

Hammock
    DIY green gathered end.
    Tarp
    12x10 blue tarp.
    Insulation
    DIY 25* Peapod
    Suspension
    JRB triglide
    I just did a double layer of the same material. Can't go wrong with top or bottom!

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    The load is the load. A string doesn't break later rather than sooner if it is longer.

If two layers are intimate then you choose top and bottom by what you want of them. Maybe you want the one that is more abrasion-resistant on the bottom, though that would matter more for a a vessel that would be on the ground in bivy use. More likely for a hammock, you'd choose the inner layer (and side) for feel.That is what I understand Tree to Tree does for its double layer hammock. Claytor uses uses polyester on the inner and nylon for the outer for one of its models, explicitly for feel inside and toughness and water repellency out.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Thanks for the input guys! I weigh around 235, and am using 1 layer of 1.5 and one layer of 1.1. I'm thinking that should be ok? My hammock is trapazoid in shape, so the supporting channel is wider than a simple rectangle. I was thinking it would tend to distribute the load more evenly, kind of like a boeing 747---even though its really big, it has lots of tires to spread its weight out on the runway. Anyway it seems to be pretty sturdy--------------I'll let you know how things go!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

• + New Posts