Thread: Newbie Question

Newbie Question

Is there a correct top/outside vs bottom/inside to a tarp? I'm using the inside (on my HH explorer asym stock tarp) as the "slick" side with tags sewn in and seam sealing visible (always assumed seam sealing would be on the outside, but what do I know). I had a large amount of moisture on the "inside" of my tarp during a backyard test hang the other day...and this was after being out of the hammock for at least 24 hours while I waited forthe constant rain to quit.

Can you overstretch a tarp so that the factory seam sealing will fail the first use of the tarp (granted I bought my hammock tarp 2 years ago...just now deciding I should use it :^)?

In the HH asym...which direction should I lay? I'm thinking my head in the area that has more "hammock" (to the right of my head when laying on my back) and more hammock to the left of my legs. Is that correct? I just seems them my head and legs are jammed up against the side of the hammock when I lay this way.

Sorry for the basic nature of this question. But I'm just starting out.

Images
    I put the "slick" side of the tarp on the "hammock side" versus the "sky side". Condensation on a tarp is normal, well normal to me - happens all the time.

I doubt you could over stretch a tarp so that the factory seal seal would fail without damaging the tarp, but I have read a few posts that push the laws of physics.

HH hammockers usually lay head to the left, feet to the right. If you're over six foot an Expedition or similar will feel tight.
    Last edited by Roche; 02-20-2012 at 09:57.

Ya the hh only has one way to lay, just follow the side tie outs your head has to be on one of them
    You can reverse N sleep at the foot end just fine and have done it for my dog who was nervous and I was able to put a hand on her with out getting all the way out

Thanks for the info!

Sounds like I have my tarp set up correctly. It rained heavily last night so i used my hex tarp for the first time and it became even clearer that I was using it the right way as it had cord "storage pockets" at each corner that would have just collected rain runoff had I put the slick side up.

However, I've been laying in my hammock wrong. I've been laying with my body aligned perpendicular to the tie outs. It makes perfect sense that the tie outs would be there to give more room. It's no wonder I feel like my head is jammed up against the side of the hammock because it is...duh. Laying parallel to tieouts also makes the stock rain fly shape make more sense as it covers the tie out areas better than the non-tie out areas (my thoughts about the tarp shape seeming odd based on the direction I layed in also added to my confusion about which side of the tarp was "up"). I'm looking forward to a much better night's sleep on my next test hang :^)

• + New Posts