Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    today i was checking out the same area.....big wash trail, at 16.some miles..i'm also planning on this one, but for me, it'll have to wait untill next year. i would like to read a trip report on this one. fwiw- you can scout the trail by useing goggle maps. the view is all aerial, so it'll take a bit of work on your part. but will give you an fair idea of what the trail involves

Quote Originally Posted by setodd View Post
    I camped out there. You could try hanging from rocks but if it doesn't work out it isn't a big deal; you can just sleep on the ground with a pad and no tarp as it doesn't usually rain. It will be chilly at night though so do a wx check before you go weather.gov/92252 for temperatures and to ensure no rain.
    Good point. The hammock could be used more like a tent if absolutely necessary, so it should still be good to go. I'll just have to make sure my pads are cactus thorn proof (i.e. be careful with inflatables)

Quote Originally Posted by the_gr8t_waldo View Post
    today i was checking out the same area.....big wash trail, at 16.some miles..i'm also planning on this one, but for me, it'll have to wait untill next year. i would like to read a trip report on this one. fwiw- you can scout the trail by useing goggle maps. the view is all aerial, so it'll take a bit of work on your part. but will give you an fair idea of what the trail involves
    I'll be bringing topo maps of the area, so scouting should work ok. I'll definitely leave a trip report. It looks like I'll be busy with work for a few weeks, but I should be able to make the trip next month.

Quote Originally Posted by Triggerhpy View Post
    I was there a couple of months ago with my scouts. And while the boys were out playing in the rocks I had a chance to talk to a Ranger and so I ask about camping with hammocks and was told that they are not aloud in the park. "No horizontal camping". Oh well No hammocks.
    I wonder why the no hammock rule? They must be worried about protecting the joshua trees. I can understand that, as the trees seem fairly sensitive. Rocks on the other hand are pretty indestructible, unless they're toppled.

i made it a point to visit the west entrance for information about my hike. and was told that i was fine to camp(assuming that i followed the rules for such activity...and there are rules!) my hike did involve going thru a "day use"area where camping is not allowed. i can't recall ifmy hammocking was understood by the information officer, or if i even mentioned it-my bad. i think the answer you get to this is highly dependant on, from whom you ask it of. if you want to save time and energy, ask at the information desk at a an entrance station- fwiw the same infromation is on the inside flap of the park map that's distrubited by NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC #226. and the parks web site.
    Last edited by the_gr8t_waldo; 02-25-2012 at 17:01.

I had the same concern. I am headed to wyoming for 3 weeks this summer to do some camping and backpacking and i decided that it would be best to get a UL tent. I am unfamiliar with where ill be hiking and it will be at about 11,000ft so i didnt expect there to be too many trees.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12