DIY - HH - ENO
    Tarp
    OES - HG
    Insulation
    DIY - HG
    Suspension
    WS - AHE
    Images
    I'll second that HG will custom build any tarp you ask for. Just fire off an email and they'll build whatever you like. I haven't bought anything from Zpacks yet (...but boy does that Blast pack look sweet), but I have spent a lot of money at HG and have always been impressed with the work - naturally, when I decided to pull the trigger on a Cuben tarp, I turned to Adam. Now, I'm waiting on 2/3 sided Cuben tarp with custom tieouts. Since you now know that you can get the same material from either company, I'd suggest deciding exactly what you want in a tarp and asking around to see who will do it for what cost.

Hammock
    Traveler SL 1.1 w/ diy tulle bugnet
    Tarp
    Z-packs cuben
    Insulation
    BurrowTQ &BreezeUQ
    Suspension
    dynaglide whoopie
    I don't have a HG tarp but I do own a HG top-quilt and it is TOP NOTCH work. I would also like to add that I own a Z-Packs cuben hammock tarp (sans doors) and it is excellent quality and supposedly even better now that Joe has both sewn and taped the seam. From the many custom things I've asked of Joe at Z-Packs he has always come through and kept in great contact during the process. You are in great hands which ever way you choose to go.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    both are very good tarps and can't go wrong with either
    i have the Zpack and i'm very happy with it.. Joe is a great guy to deal with i spent a lot of money with Joe and his service is top notch and his work is as well
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

I have been holding off on posting in this thread, but, there are some things that need to be said!

Both Stormcrow (and company) and Joe (and company) make fantastic gear, you will find top notch gear, service and dedication to both quality and their customers!

Now as it has been said (already by me) and others that "ALL" the cottage makers strive to provide the best service and product that they can, and for good reason --their family depends on it!

We all know that Stormcrow does custom work, and if you didn't then you really haven't been reading the threads that have been posted, as well as the custom work that Joe will do for his customers is (should be) very well known by now!

With all that being said the new products (cuben and others) have several names that are being used to describe the same product which can be "VERY" confusing at times and I think that the cottage makers (those that are using such products) should address this by listing both names of the product (really all the names) to make the customer better informed of the materials that are bring used so they (the customer) can make a better informed decision on what they want and from whom!

In short, their all great people, will take time out of their very busy day to talk to you and make sure you are happy and well informed and to top it all they make great gear, so you can't go wrong either way!

I'll get off my soapbox now!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    If you cannot make up your mind as to whom to use,,then what I would do,,,is let the turnaround time of when you can get it,,make your descision for you..just my 2 cents,,but it seems to me every one of the cottage makers of equipment is pretty much super busy,,and that is great!
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    WB's BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20dUQTQ, HG Ph
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I was just looking at both and am wondering what the differences are. HG appears to be 2oz lighter, this seems to be quite significant for a tarp with the same coverage but I am wondering how this is achieved. Also price point. Anything else that I missed?

I realize this thread has been...resting since Feb, but I thought I would freshen it up a bit.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Quote Originally Posted by L84toff View Post
    I was just looking at both and am wondering what the differences are. HG appears to be 2oz lighter, this seems to be quite significant for a tarp with the same coverage but I am wondering how this is achieved. Also price point. Anything else that I missed?

I realize this thread has been...resting since Feb, but I thought I would freshen it up a bit.
    The Zpacks 8.5'x11' at 7.2oz compares closely to the HG 4S 10' 10"x8.5' at 6.5oz. I'm not sure where the .7oz is made up but it's probably in the tie out reinforcements, seam tape vs glued ridgeline might also add a few grams. In anycase both vendors are using the .51 cuben.

David

Some of the differences are the tie outs, and the manner in which the ridgeline is made.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    WB's BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20dUQTQ, HG Ph
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Bannerstone View Post
    The Zpacks 8.5'x11' at 7.2oz compares closely to the HG 4S 10' 10"x8.5' at 6.5oz. I'm not sure where the .7oz is made up but it's probably in the tie out reinforcements, seam tape vs glued ridgeline might also add a few grams. In anycase both vendors are using the .51 cuben.

David
    Zpacks website has theirs listed as 8.5 ounces (241 grams) vs 6.5oz from HG. I was just wondering where the 30% in weight difference was.

I have nothing but nice things to say about my experience with Zpacks and have read nothing but great stuff about HG. I'm looking to make the leap to a cuben fibre tarp and am hoping to make a well informed decision, that's all. HG appears lighter and cheaper so my first inclination is to go that route, but what am I giving up over a Zpacks CF tarp?

HG - No sewn ridgeline (which means no seam sealing needed)
    ~All guyline reinforcements are bonded and sewn. for maximum strength

Zpacks - The ridge seam and all tie out reinforcements are now sewn and taped for extra strength. No seam sealing necessary!

@Cranky Bear - are the tie outs more heavy duty? Seems Zpacks ridge line is both sewn and taped vs just taped from HG. Would you pick up 2oz by sewing the ridge seam in addition to taping. Also does doing so make it more durable?

thx

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12