Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Noob Question..Pea Pod...

Been viewing various vendors site.

The pea pod caught my eye, as it encompasses the entire hammock. ( Top & Bottom) Additionally you can add a top quilt into the hammock. I am aware you could use a UQ , but would this be a better approach.

What would be the pluses and minues of UQ vs PP. Is one system a better approach vs the other.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    First there is no one system that is better than another. Really depends on you and what you like. I have both under quilts and a Peapod. Some like the feeling of being cocooned in a pod, others feel claustrophobic. I tend to move around a lot when I sleep and find that with a TQ/UQ setup I'm always readjusting and tucking in my top quilt because I caused a draft by rolling over. With a pod, no adjusting needed. I can roll around with abandon and not have to deal with drafts. I find pods to be very warm once you dial in the right hammock combination and ways to fill voids in the top and bottom ends. The right Top quilt for the weather is also key.

The drawback with a pod is that they tend to be big (take more room in the pack) and maybe heavier than the equivalent TQ/UQ. This really depends on make and materials.

I love my pod. I do think that we will see more and more people using them in the future as well as more makers offering them. I do urge you to give them a try as well as Under quilts to see what works for you.

S

Images
    While you are gathering information, watch this:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=47465

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanging View Post
    Been viewing various vendors site.

The pea pod caught my eye, as it encompasses the entire hammock. ( Top & Bottom) Additionally you can add a top quilt into the hammock. I am aware you could use a UQ , but would this be a better approach.

What would be the pluses and minues of UQ vs PP. Is one system a better approach vs the other.
    There is also the Polarpod.
    Blaze

Images
    What top of hammock do you use and are you claustrophobic?

My Speer PeaPod/Claytor No Net combo is hanging in my backyard right now. This seems to be my main go to winter system considering all of the pros and cons, though I also have several other systems that work great for me. Usually what I choose depends on who is going with me and what they want to use.

My several years old Speer 20F PeaPod weighs about the same as 2 size long full length 20-25F rated quilts( 1 TQ/1 UQ). The top quilt advantage is, used in a hammock and depending on which hammock is used, it will be warmer on top if there are no drafts/leaks. Warmer for the weight. Because the hammock, especially wider "deeper" hammocks, will lift the top layer of the PeaPod, causing a gap of from zero to several inches. So it will NOT reach it's 20F rating on top unless you fill the gap with puffy clothing, or even better a summer weight TQ. (or add a heavier TQ if going for serious cold) Although, once you have filled this gap with even a summer TQ, it is probably now warmer than it's 20F rating. Maybe a lot warmer.

The biggest PeaPod advantage is it seems much easier to control drafts, very easy in fact.

But one caveat: if you don't have it nearly completely closed, or you don't have either a puffy jacket/vest or light TQ to form a " neck collar", the leak out of the face area vent hole will leave you cold on top even with a narrow bag. But I find this very easy to deal with, so not really a problem. But I had a friend who- on his first night in a hammock and PeaPod he bought- had the above problem ruin hammock hanging for him. He did not think to use his clothing to solve that problem, he would close it down nearly all the way and was plenty warm in the high 20s(with narrow hammock), start going crazy with claustrophobia, open it up and freeze. He spent a miserable, sleepless night. Now he hates hammocks, period.

But with that common sense warning, I'd say the Pea Pod is hands down the easiest way to control drafts. On the right hammock, it is for me essentially always draft free. It is simple:
    leak advantage 1: I can cinch it down tight on the ends, so there does not seem to be any cold air rushing in from the ends to get under your butt. (even better with shorter hammocks because you can cinch it tight right at or even over the end knots)
    anti-leak advantage 2: The pod drapes over the hammock edges and is closed in the middle, draping down onto you a little or a lot. So cold air can not rush in from the sides down under you. I find that I very often get away just fine with a 1 or 2" gap under me in the 20F pod and don't bother correcting it, at least if only in the 30s or 40s. Any kind of gap with most UQs and your 20F UQ quickly becomes a 60F UQ.
    3: With a normal TQ- as opposed to being inside a sleeping bag- drafts can be challenging to avoid and ruinous if they occur. Particularly with smaller quilts. Just think how easy it can be for many folks to move in their sleep and open up a leak somewhere along the length of the TQ. This is not a problem in a pod, as you are INSIDE a sleeping bag that is wrapped around the hammock.

Separate UQs/TQs can be as warm as anything, but they must be adjusted perfectly to avoid all leaks. Personally, I can so far get that done and sometimes prefer the separate set up. But witness all of the threads on here where people are cold in their new UQs or TQs. And it is nearly always a draft problem. Things just seem easier with a PeaPod, you almost never see the thread" got new PeaPod, butt froze at 30F". Still, it's just a matter of learning to use your non-pod systems correctly. And you can't use a pod with all hammocks. You can use it with other hammocks, but it won't work as well. Hammock type is not a problem with non-pods.

One exception to the above potential gap/leak problems with separate UQs is a JRB bridge hammock used with their MWUQs. There is nothing to do with this combo except attach to the hammock loops as directed, and be warm. This UQ its the curves of this hammock pretty much perfect, and there are really no perfect adjustments to worry about, there will NOT be any gaps under me that can fill with cold air. Plus this very flat hammock/UQ combo will be snug from above the head to below my feet. And like the PeaPod, you can not move off of the insulation and it will not move during the night and it is impossible for the suspension to sag as it is not really suspended by shock cord(neither is the PeaPod). As far as under insulation goes, I consider this even superior to the PeaPod. Because it is at least possible to get the PeaPod too tight and compress insulation, though highly unlikely for me. But possible.

Also, I find it much easier to avoid top quilt drafts in this hammock. There is just something about the shape of the hammock that seems to make it easier to maintain a "tuck". And of course there are no PeaPod style top gaps to deal with. It is still no match for the care free, top draft free pod approach, and I need more head protection than with a PeaPod, but it is plenty good enough for me. Plus, when it is not so cold you can go with lighter quilts top and bottom. Then again, it is a bridge hammock, and not every one likes bridge hammocks( I do ).

Thanks Sidewinder, Blaze and Billy Bob.

Thanks Billy Bob for all your knowledge, enjoyed the link to the 2 video's of the guy up in Alaska. Yes I agree, the PP is straightforward and simple.

Can you tell me what are my options are for hammock using the PP, as you mentioned not all hammocks work with the PP.

I like the fact you can use a seperate mosquito net, as opposed to having a net with your Hammock, like in the video, also liked the tarp he was using.

So far on my short list is the PP, netting and tarp from WB.. Just need to decide on hammock.

Now that you threw a curve in the mix, need to look into JRB bridge hammock used with their MWUQs. lol...Whats a bridge hammock?

Images
    Thanks Sidewinder, Blaze and Billy Bob.

Thanks Billy Bob for all your knowledge, enjoyed the link to the 2 video's of the guy up in Alaska. Yes I agree, the PP is straightforward and simple.

Can you tell me what are my options are for hammock using the PP, as you mentioned not all hammocks work with the PP.
    You need a hammock without a net or that you can get the net well out of your way- removable or roll/tuck out of the way. It needs to be a non-bridge. A ridge line is OK as long as you can attach the PeaPod UNDER the RL. It can work with just about any non-bridge hammock, but works better IMO if not too wide/deep/long. The wider/deeper or the bigger the side "walls", the bigger the top gap you will have to fill with something.

BTW, some folks rig a very warm DIY pod by wrapping a roomy sleeping bag with full side zipper around their hammocks.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ghlight=PeaPod
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=27487

I like the fact you can use a seperate mosquito net, as opposed to having a net with your Hammock, like in the video, also liked the tarp he was using.

So far on my short list is the PP, netting and tarp from WB.. Just need to decide on hammock.

Now that you threw a curve in the mix, need to look into JRB bridge hammock used with their MWUQs. lol...Whats a bridge hammock?
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/BMBH.htm
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/images/D...BMBH-Angle.jpg
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 02-20-2012 at 14:53.

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    Where do you do most of your hanging? I'll defer to BillyBob58's experience with the PeaPod and how it performs in warm weather. But Florida is pretty warm year-round, and you may find a peapod system doesn't allow as much venting flexibility as the UQ/TQ approach.

If you're planning on hanging in cooler climes (like Mississippi, for example) then it may not be an issue for you.

Quote Originally Posted by RootCause View Post
    Where do you do most of your hanging? I'll defer to BillyBob58's experience with the PeaPod and how it performs in warm weather. But Florida is pretty warm year-round, and you may find a peapod system doesn't allow as much venting flexibility as the UQ/TQ approach.

If you're planning on hanging in cooler climes (like Mississippi, for example) then it may not be an issue for you.
    Agree Root, just a hammock and netting is all is needed for summer use in Fl. I do like camping up in Ocala Forest in winters, seen many 20 degree nights there, I also like heading for the Appalacians at various times of the year. Plan on some western trips as well.

Thanks for the update Billy Bob

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast